Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
MZS

Re: Scent Control vs. Cover Scents

Postby MZS » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:26 am

I think if you are down wind, it does not matter (you won't get busted). And if you are directly up wind from the deer and within 30 yds, it does not matter since you will get busted no matter what. So the stories of old timers are true - they bagged a deer 90 yds away, with a gun, while smoking, in bacon-smelling clothes, that was upwind from them.

But within 20 yds and a cross wind might matter. I have had deer walk by within 10 yds from behind and walk past while in a blind. Scent control played a part I think.

I do not believe in cover scents too much, hunting from a blind as I do - they work against you too often by allowing deer to pinpoint you. Evercalm is one I used - on two occasions a very nice buck just walked up to my blind and spooked (no shot possible) and I am fairly certain the Evercalm played a part. On another occasion the Evercalm kept a very small (and dumb) deer at ease.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:20 am

Gentlemen (and Ladies) this is what you are up against. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/dog ... smell.html

and a deer's nose is even better than a dog's nose. cover scents just don't work in a true sense, because a dog does not smell gasoline instead of marijuana, he smells both. sealed in plastic, submerged in gas inside a gas tank, and a dog is not fooled. that is because cover scents just add scent, not take it away. I have seen the video of a bloodhound, smells a soda can from a hotel room that a escaped con stayed at. four days later, on a busy street, the dog leads the cops right to the excapee.

Against an alert whitetail, they CAN NOT work. only against a distracted, or unaware deer can they be used with any chance of success. Stealth is your best answer, hunt the wind, and understand ; if he is alert to your presence, you're busted. If he samples the air, you're busted. And no product can make you scent free enough to fool even a dog that is looking for you. A deer's nose is even better.

Learn to hunt with what you have, not what you can buy. it's a waste of money.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Right on Kellory ;) ;) ;)
Doug

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:24 pm

I sat in stand 13 hours Saturday for opening day.
Perfect stand set up
I came in downwind, deer come out of bedding upwind.
Unfortunately for me, it was 87 degrees all day, I sweated from 6 am til the end.
The end was when the 7 doe decided to walk around me, approx 100 yards or so
2 of the does blew 128 times when they got downwind to feed. 128, I counted.
They didn't know where I was or what I was specifically, but they knew I was there. Never had that happen like that. They were essentially working like a pair of bloodhounds. They worked to the right, then the left, then the right each time narrowing down their sweep pattern until they figured out the tree that didn't smell right :lol:
Then the whole lot of them took slinked away into the field.
I'm certain they didn't see me, or movement, it was pure smell they got.
This was a great stand for the rut come January, I don't think I drove the doe off, this is there primary bedding, feeding area, but I bet they'll remember that tree and stay away. No bucks were involved, but it is blown for now. I'll let the the temps and thier memory cool off for a bit. I won't go back til January.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:40 pm

I had something similar happen to me once... I have a stand that looks over about a 7 acre "bottom field"... it's surround on 3 sides by timber, and a small grassy hill up to big fields on the 4th. My stand is in a thin strip of timber on the edge of the field. The wind was blowing from behind me over my left shoulder, and I expected the deer to approach from the left. Sure as shooting, I had 3-4 does, 1 small buck, and 1 shooter buck work their way out into the field. The bucks were dogging the does, who were trying to eat. I figure I had about 130 degrees of "clean" air to get off a shot. Unluckily, the smallest doe ranged way out ahead of the group and hit my scent stream off to the right. She locked up dead, stood there scenting for about 2 minutes. The big does and shooter buck were still out of range when the young doe turned, flagged white, and bounded out of the field taking the rest of the deer with them.

I know she never saw me, only smelled me. I had done the pre-hunt non-scented soap and deoderant routine, even brushed my teeth with baking soda.... their noses are amazing, and once they smell something they don't like, they're not likely to give you another chance.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:47 pm

128 times? One hundred and twenty-eight times? ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-EIGHT TIMES? Really?;) you Got skunked....literally.;)
That sucks Sailfish. :lol: : (And I know it was not because you were careless.).
Once they were alerted to you, that was all she wrote.
I would agree, let that stand lie quite for a while.
(Sorry to laugh, but the way you said it had me laughing. ;) I can see it clearly in my mind....120, really? 121, 122, are uh you kidding me? 123, 124, .....). ;)

(edited to clean up a phone post)
Last edited by kellory on Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:48 pm

IMO any time you can control (eliminate) scent the better off you are.

With that being said, I'm not a fan of cover scents. Introducing a scent that wasn't already there seems to me like the opposite of scent control (elimination). I fear cover scents may educate the deer more than fool them.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 pm

At first not funny lol
It was 9-10 right away. Then it just kept on. Then the other doe joined the symphony. Then it was comical. I was laughing too. Even caught myself rooting for the deer to hit a number. I was like "cmon give me 50, you can do it. Now 75 let's go girls"
I was kind of sad when they didn't hit 130.

I'm a counter by the way. I count steps going up stairs, count ounces in food calculate cost per ounce, count the gallons as I pump and guess where it will stop.
You know normal stuff. ;-)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:01 pm

I imagine plenty of you have smelled a bedding area as well as a feeding area; if so, then you know exactly what EverCalm smells like. The secret to effective use of the product is NOT to use it as a cover scent, but to place it around the area where you want the deer to be comfortably calm while not alerting them to your stand location. That's why I put it on my boots as I'm walking into my stands, and apply it to trees and sticks in the area. With the VS-1, I pick up things like sticks and cobs that all of the corn has been eaten off of, apply the scent and toss it out into different directions on the food plots which simulates a doe in heat has walked casually around the area. I've even carried cotton balls in a baggy that I smeared some of the scent on and tossed them out on my way in to establish a trail leading into the food plot. The bucks I've killed using that system have exhibited interest in the odor by raising their heads and pointing their noses into the air as they licked their lips and even curling their lips. This provides enough distraction to get the gun on them and shoot 'em in the neck while their head is in the air.

BTW, on a few occasions, I've even used a decoy that was thoroughly cleaned and then had both the EverCalm and the VS-1 applied to it prior to setting it out. These tactics have saved my bacon on occasions when there is a shift in wind direction, or when deer approach directly down wind of my stand.........more than once. No other scents have ever worked as well, which is why I'm a believer in these Conquest products. After all, no matter how much we practice our own scent control or how much we play the wind, there will always be those times when the weather conspires to screw us up and even the most wood wise hunter has been caught in those situations.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:22 am

I've seen the ads for Evercalm, but have never used it. To me, a cover scent that smells like apples or acorns or dirt will only work if you are hunting over apples or acorns or dirt. Like BigHorse said, a NEW scent is usually just as scary to deer as a known danger scent.

I guess the idea behind the Evercalm makes sense to me, I might try it someday if I ever see it on sale or something...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions