Wyoming Whitetail

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
dlotto28

Wyoming Whitetail

Postby dlotto28 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:37 pm

[img][IMG]http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/ss29/wymuley/Oct7DavesWhitetailBuck6.jpg[/img][/img]

I finally got my big whitetail! As for the long range shot, Savage LRH 6.5x284, 127 grain Barnes LRX at 20 yards lol. We saw them around 500 yards away and him and another buck disappeared in a creek bottom. I walked the creek for about 1/8 of a mile working through the tall wheatgrass and cattails. I got to the end and decided I hadn't checked an old oxbow good enough. I went a hundred yards back and looked at the cattails. All of a sudden he jumped out of the spot I was directly looking at. I had not seen him at all. I shot him as he lunged up the bank. I took a few pictures and rested about 10 minutes when the second buck jumped out from the same cattails about 15 yards away. I had walked by both of these bucks twice. The first one jumped when I stopped and looked directly at where he was bedded. If he would have stayed there I would have never seen him. He must have been laying flat on the ground in the cattails. I did recover the bullet that went through about a foot of spine. It was fully expanded and only missing one petal. I did not find the one through the shoulder.

rthomas4

Re: Wyoming Whitetail

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:21 pm

That's one fine looking buck!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:14 pm

Whereabouts in Wyoming were you?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dlotto28

Postby dlotto28 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:50 am

Thanks

I was about a hundred miles north of Cheyenne.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:24 pm

Douglas/Lusk area? I used to hunt in that area when I lived out there many years ago. Never saw so many deer in one place in my entire life!!! Back then it was all muleys. There were some whitetails in the creek bottoms but not all that many and quite frankly back then the locals didn't really know how to hunt whitetails. I actually had one landowner tell me when I asked about hunting whitetails to "...don't bother, all we have here are does." Really??? Then WHERE do all the fawns come from every spring??

From what I understand, there are many areas where you see more whitetails than muleys now.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

dlotto28

Postby dlotto28 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Yeah,

There are about half and half muleys and whitetails now. The G and F has the muley management so screwed up there are hardly any bucks left to breed the does. They have the season set up for muley bucks only or any whitetail, so lots of muley bucks get killed and you are left with a few fork horns to breed all of the does. The whitetails are really taking off because everybody wants a muley. I haven't shot a muley for a couple years to let them come back and slow down the whitetails. I suspect there will be more and more crosses in the future. I wish they would just close the muley buck season for a couple years. The early season makes it hard to hunt too because the big bucks that are around are usually in the corn. The season is only eleven days from Oct. 1 to Oct. 11. The late whitetail season runs for the month of November and is a lot of fun. I just didn't draw a tag this year.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:28 pm

I lived in Casper and Laramie and hunted a lot around Glenrock-Douglas and Wheatland. Not many whitetails out there back then. They were just starting to move into the area. Woods Walker and I were out there about the same time. Some great WT hunting now out around Sundance and Newcastle.

dlotto28

Postby dlotto28 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 pm

It is actually getting a little harder to draw a late whitetail tag here. My wife and I both didn't draw this year, but we can hunt them during the general season too.

Return to General Discussions