Deer patterns

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
deerhunter97

Deer patterns

Postby deerhunter97 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:51 pm

I've had trail cameras out since august here in kershaw SC, and I was getting excited seeing about 10 GOOD bucks. Now in mid October they all seemed to vanish from my pictures and I Havnt seen them at all. Is it possible they left. We have food, water, and tons of shred on our 500 acres. Are they just eluding me?

Retranger

Re: Deer patterns

Postby Retranger » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:06 am

Don't believe they have left. Had same thing happen. Had pic of a spike, 4 and six pointed till the first of sept.,,,,nothing since and all the pics that I have gotten from the middle of Sept. are only night time. I had this happen a couple years ago and by the time the season came no pics at all. Food desires maybe have changed some
Doug

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:56 pm

I would agree their desires are changing, but I have my doubts it's food they're desiring...
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:04 pm

Yep, they're searching for hot does, and the bigger bucks are running them off. This is the time of year when I get pictures of bucks that I've never seen before as the resident bucks are traveling and other bucks are cruising the neighborhood.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

BAPAKuss

Postby BAPAKuss » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:34 am

I noticed the same thing in my trail cam pics. Up until the middle of september I had a good 7 quality different bucks...probably 10 total. By the end of september, they were gone with maybe only a few sitings at night. I began to wonder if me checking my cameras started to over pressure them some. Looking back through the pictures, late august and early september I only had one camera that was getting pictures of all of the bucks. The middle of september another camera captured them 1/4 mile (maybe a little less) away. since then the pics have gone down hill. There is a theory out there that by the end of the september, deer begin to change their food source. Buck start to look for food higher in sugar and that they kind of go into a binge eating phase until mid october. I could buy into this theory, because looking back this seems to happen to me every year. the first 2-3 weeks of october are pretty lame in regards to hunting. very few deer and nearly no bucks. I feel the bucks go into a resting phase before the uptick in activity leading to the rut. I believe their biological clock makes them aware of when this is and they respond by resting and feeding. I have yet to discover where they disappear to. But many believe wherever that may be, that they may not move much more than a 100 yards or so during this time. For me, that's like finding a needle in a haystack on the section of public land i hunt. There is way too much ground to try and cover. I typically use these first few weeks of the season and hunt a bunch of other sites (many i never even scout). This tends to ease my expectations and gets me to learn new areas. And hey, who knows maybe I might catch one up and about. However, by the end of October I return to my main area and typically hunt that through the end of the season. My suggestion is not to worry too much about it. I am sure they are around and things are about to get even better as the season progresses. Last friday's full moon, however, has really made the deer sitings little to none during daylight hours in my area. This is just my .02 cents. Good luck to you!

BAPAKuss

Postby BAPAKuss » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:40 am

Something else I have picked up on: Rubs and scrape sign was non-existent until late last week...now areas seem to be exploding with them. I usually get myself all concerned when i don't see some rubs and scrapes by early october (even though prior years should tell me my expectations should be different). I think the lack of them up until later october may even further support the fact that bucks go into a resting phase. Now they seem to be starting to move. I know every area is different, but these are just my observations.

BAPAKuss

Postby BAPAKuss » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 am

LOL, I promise this my last post, just remembered one thing. A friend of mine shot a really nice 10 point (142inch green score) the first monday of the season (10/7/13). He shot him near an old little apple orchard (20-30 apple trees). He hunts a small, private 20 acre patch that these trees reside on. He shoots one almost every year the first week from here. His trail cam pics are littered with bucks and many never leave this small 20 acre section. Apples = high sugar content. From the number of bucks he gets on camera (really nice ones to boot!), i would say he has a nice little honeyhole for the early season. If he fails to bag one in the early season though (last time i believe this happened was 2 or 3 years ago), he tends to not get one that season as we all know when the rut gets going all bets are off and they seem to vacate this area. Sorry for posting so much!

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:35 am

Dunno about SC rut,but up in MI where the rut is consistent/regular, the same thing happens. They boys are all hanging together through the summer, velvet is on, its a big bachelor party. Then they start rubbing the velvet off. But they all still hang together,have their regular territories, catch them on the cams consistently like clockwork almost. Soon they start some light sparring, but not crazy stuff, feeling their oats, working on the pecking order etc.No sense of urgency yet. But once breeding gets near, everything ill change
From what I have read they say the big, mature fella, has a smaller core area. He'll stake it out and that will be his place, and good for you if its your property he's on :D . As the pecking order goes the others and the younger, they will and can cover miles, a much broader core area. You might catch them on your camera one day, 3 days later your buddy has it 5 miles away, then you have it again 3 days later. Others you may never see that season.
This could be whats happening where your at. The days of fun and sun are over, time to start work or is it play? I'd like to wonder how a deer views it :lol:

Where I hunt in FL, it pretty much happens the same way, it just fluctuates a tad and its not as structured. We don't have a HARD SET rut. Even though our area it may happen regularly in say..........January or July (whatever area you are in), its just not quite like the northern climates.

But the patterns of the bucks.........same way. RIght now, this time, they just rubbed the velvet off at my place. And through archery (unless they are killed) they come through like clockwork, I get the same deer on the camera (Doe and bucks). But then in January......i've seen bucks I never ever knew existed. Never had a pic before and they just file by the camera (Late January is pretty much peak breeding in my area)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:40 am

I agree with Sailfish. Early and pre-season, bucks are running in bachelor groups. As the breeding season approaches they start becoming territorial and the bachelor groups split up and they are individually seeking does. As they go their separate ways this may also have some effect on why your not seeing as many bucks on the same camera. Their using different travel routes and establishing dominance territories.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:37 am

If I worried about what September and October boded for my chance and a deer in November, I'd quit hunting, sell the property and stay home on the couch.

Starting about Labor Day or slightly before, my deer do a disappearing act. I mean zero deer sign. This often coincides with a late-summer drought we often get. After about mid-October, I start seeing deer again, and once the rut kicks in, things get really fired up.

Bucks? I'll have bucks in and out all summer. They come and go. Once in a great while, I'll have one that sticks around for a length of time, but normally you see them once and that's it. The trick I've found is keeping my doe happy. They like to hang out around my place. They're the bait, and when the rut kicks in, they're drawing in suitors from all over the county.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Next

Return to General Discussions