your thoughts?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

your thoughts?

Postby Homunculi » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:00 pm

starting out a great season here i hope every one else is having luck with filling their freezers ...

i just would like you thoughts on a buddy ......

shot his first deer .. all went well but when he went to butcher it he forgot to pack more ice on it the night before butchering it ...
and it was oozing brown stuff and bugs all over it when he went to cape it ... lost it all ...

shot deer number 2 lost an arrow ... lighted knock and broadhead .. and searched for hours not able to find her ..
even though he searched for hours ...

shot deer number 3 ... easy find .. everything ok in the freezer ..

shot deer number 4 this morning.. lost another arrow and broadhead ..... and just called cannot find the deer ...

:?:
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

MZS

Re: your thoughts?

Postby MZS » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 pm

He probably won't commit mistake #1 again.
Mistake #2 is probably caused by pushing the deer too soon - a lighted nock won't do much good if the deer is 1/2 mile away.
Mistake #3 might be the same as #2 - is he giving the deer time?

The fact that he is losing arrows tells me he is not getting pass through shots. Aiming for the shoulders rather than lungs perhaps. Go for the dead center lung shot back from the legs. Get the pass through shot. Wait 30 minutes. Collect the deer. And yeah ice it down if it over 42 degrees.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:34 am

Tell him to trade the stick and string for a good rifle, and then aim for the neck..........they drop in their tracks and no trailing required!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Bowriter

Postby Bowriter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:33 pm

Sounds to me like he needs to practice more and not worry as much about his arrows as he does his accuracy. Either he can't shoot or he can't bloodtrail.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:45 pm

As a new hunter I'd say he's doing awesome in that he's been able to shoot 4 deer. Losing the first deer to spoilage really really sucks...

However, shooting 2 deer and not finding any arrow or dead deer makes me think he may be taking marginal shots. Maybe talk with him about shot angles and placement, waiting for the deer to stop or be turned the right way?

I just hate hearing about deer getting shot and not recovered. I know it happens, and to the best of us. I shot 3 deer with my bow before I ever got to put a tag on one... but I definitely learned and changed my shot approach because of it.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:15 pm

not new hunter deebz ....

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:13 pm

Is he getting pass through lung shots? Is he giving the deer some time after the shot?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:56 pm

Not being a new hunter makes me think he REALLY needs to be more patient and take better shots.

Of course, I wasn't there to see the shots he took, and things do happen.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:53 pm

MZS wrote:Is he getting pass through lung shots? Is he giving the deer some time after the shot?

he watched the lighted knock go with the deer after the shot ... and on his way back to the stand found the one arrow missing the broadhead and about 4" of the arrow ..

good news is he got a good double lung shot this morning number 5 .. in the shed and hanging ..

and this is the same guy as in the other post that cannot gut his own deer ...
so i get a call to go to his house to gut it ... cutting into my hunting time :(

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
Bear Encounter

Return to General Discussions