Pop Up Blinds

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Wanderer

Pop Up Blinds

Postby Wanderer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:28 am

I usually have at least one pop up blind set out on my hunting land to use on those drizzly days when I don't relish sitting in a tree. I favor the Primos Escape because it's the tallest blind that I own. Our deer season here in Indiana starts in mid November and runs for 16 days, followed by a muzzle loader season of 16 days and then an 11 day antlerless season that runs into the first weekend in January. Being as this is corn country, there is a lot of open land and we are plagued by high winds frequently. I had the blind blown over last year and had to chase it over towards the neighbor's place. I had three sides tied off to trees and the fourth was anchored with a stake.(Wind was 40 mph from the direction of the side that was staked) I've been wondering if I should leave the windows open when I exit the blind or keep them zipped shut.(I've been shutting everything up tight). Part of me wonders whether having the windows open would lessen the chance of getting blown over, but part of me wonders if the wind wouldn't get under the roof and just pick the blind up like a giant umbrella. Has anyone out there ever left the windows unzipped? Did it cause any problems that I haven't considered? Thanks in advance for any help that you may give.

rthomas4

Re: Pop Up Blinds

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:45 am

I've left 'em out for entire seasons (Aug.15th -Jan 1st) and sometimes even til after Spring turkey season is over on May 15th. I've always left the windows partially opened, but then again we probably don't get the open plain type of winds like you do. My ground blinds are usually set up in planted pines, so I'm able to tie off to a tree all the way around and just stake the bottom edges down.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:39 pm

I leave them open for the most part (the windows I shoot out of).
When I arrive to sit and hunt, i don't want to be fumbling with zippers and noise and such.
I also don't anchor or tie mine. Cows destroy it when I do that (gives em resistance, when they drive their horns, heads or hooves through it :D ), and I usually tuck mine in a fallen tree so wind doesn't have much a chance to move it out.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:48 am

I've tried it both ways and it doesn't really seem to matter. I've found them knocked over, flipped upside down while still tied to the tree, sides collapsed in...

The technique I'm currently using is staking them down with some old boyscout tent stakes. They are about 1 1/2 foot long wooden stakes that have a notch carved in the top to hook your stings on, and you can drive them a good foot or more into the ground. I tie my side wall tie offs to them (and at least one to a tree, just in case), and drive some through the loops on the bottom corners of the blind. You could make some out of a 1 inch dowel rod. So far it's working, the blinds been out since Columbus day weekend and hasn't moved.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Return to General Discussions