I've spooked deer when climbing down... Now what?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Concort

I've spooked deer when climbing down... Now what?

Postby Concort » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:22 am

Last night when climbing down there were deer all over the place... I had to go so I climbed down ultimately spooking them and they ran off. My question is, in anyone else's experience... Will they return to the area? Or are they going to remember that horrific incident and ban that area from their travels now for some time?

Thanks for any advice here....and good luck to everyone this season!

Brian

rthomas4

Re: I've spooked deer when climbing down... Now what?

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:40 am

What ever drew them to that spot in the first place, will draw 'em back. Usually if you get busted it's only going to affect the deer at that particular time. I'd be willing to bet that fifteen minutes after you left, they were right back.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:21 pm

rtom is right, whatever drew them in there will draw them back, ESPECIALLY the bucks when the does start going into estrous. Food and sex are VERY powerful attractants for deer, many times even overriding their other life's concern...."what's going to eat me?"

The only thing I'd possibly do is change trees, because many times deer that have been spooked from a particular tree will from then on always look to that tree first when they enter the area. I've seen that happen often enough that it's not a coincidence.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:34 am

Good advice so far.

Part of what Woodsie said is dependent, at least in my mind, on what type of stand you are using. I've used a stand location enough that I thought the deer were shying away. In one case, I had a big buddy stand. It was too late in the season to move it, so I just put a climber further up the trail about 50 yards and had a nice buck in my sites on the rifle Opener that had been avoiding me at the other stand.

So, what I'd say is that if you are using a climber , you might change trees. If you aren't, leave the stand where it is and put up a second stand .

BTW: for every story like this, I can probably also match it with a story of where the deer kept coming despite being spooked.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:14 am

You may think you spooked them, they did leave but will return. This fall I was bow hunting from my ladder stand. A doe came in with a yearling,,, I started to draw on her when she picked her head up and stared at me,,,had me pinned down,,, finally blew and they left. At my stand I also have a camera set up and as this happened close to the end of the shooting light I climbed down and left. Back the next day I checked the camera before climbing for the late day sit. Well ,,,,, half hour after I had left the same deer were back. At least they looked like the same ones.
Doug

Concort

Postby Concort » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:44 am

Thanks all for the great advice.

I did in fact change trees since. I saw the same deer again later... and a nice buck that was on a mission...trotting through the woods... Couldn't call him in or nothing! Rats!

NCSurvival

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 pm

If you're having trouble calling one in, get more aggressive with your calling. I think it's an outdated conception that over-calling will scare the deer away. As I've recently posted, I had an experience recently that has made me rethink my stance on over-calling.

Use some buck trending calls and do it aggressively and frequently and see if that buck on a mission doesn't come charging in. It helps to mix in some intense rattling too. Anybody who has witnessed bucks fighting over a hot doe will tell you that it's a very loud and action-packed experience. Mimic that action and let me know what happens.
God.
Family.
Hunting. America's real pastime.

Happy hunting!

Return to General Discussions