Rutting action?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
hunthard2

Rutting action?

Postby hunthard2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:01 am

Alright fellow hunters,
Lets hear about the rutting action going on in your area! Any chasing? Fighting? Mating? Or nothing yet?
Fill the rest of us in no matter where you hunt!

Deebz

Re: Rutting action?

Postby Deebz » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:15 am

Haven't seen a whole lot of rutting action here in Eastern Illinois as of yet. I have some trail cam pics and 1 sighting of bigger (not the biggest) bucks out and about in daylight.

Have heard reports of small bucks chasing does and sparring...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:33 am

Nothing here.
Have a few more months in my parts.
I have heard however a hour or so north(Ocala area) of bucks chasing does, and a 6pt and 4pt in that same area locking some horns, so they may be getting wound up in that area.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:36 am

The rut has been going on here for a month now.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Concort

Postby Concort » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:43 am

Ruts on in PA. There's scrapes and rubs everywhere and deer are starting to be more active. Not seeing buck though yet but my buddy got a 8 point few weeks ago already. Time to get the estrous out I guess!

Good luck to all and I'll report back if I get one! I've been hunting bow for about 4 years now and nothing yet. Many close calls, let some go, missed one or two but still nothing. Hoping this year....??!!

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:17 pm

I've seen a few scrapes and two bucks walking around with their noses to the ground in NE Ohio. Buddy saw two small bucks grunting last night. I'm going out Friday morning and plan on using a grunt tube and some light rattling.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

hunthard2

Postby hunthard2 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:14 pm

Here in NC I believe things are really starting to get fired up. I haven't been home in a while so I'm not sure how it is going specifically in my are, however, a lot of my friends are seeing bucks chasing does and killing a few too. I'm going to be in the stand early saturday morning rain or shine. I hope to see something brown with antlers but only time will tell haha. Keep us updated guys! Pics would be awesome, too!
Happy hunting and be safe!

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:41 am

The Pre-Rut activity has started here. I witnessed a couple smaller bucks sparring the other day, and have a few game cam pics of the same activity. In the last week I've watched bucks push does, and attempt to mount.

**** The date and time on my camera is not correct****
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:55 am

At 10:15 this morning as I walked up to my favorite stand, I interrupted a young 6 point attempting to breed a doe. I got within 30 yards of 'em before they took off into some planted pines. I quickly climbed up into the A-frame ladder stand and cocked the T/C Encore .308 just in time to see a doe come bolting out of the pines and running across the food plot to my left. I've killed a lot of running deer with a shotgun, but had never attempted a rifle shot on a running deer..........trotting and walking, but never flat out hauling ass before. I led her by about a foot and rolled her up where she slid to a stop and kicked twice at 10:18. The only problem was when I walked the 60 yards to her, it wasn't the big doe that the young buck was trying to breed; it was a 52 lb Bambi!!!!!!!! I was proud of the shoulder shot on the running deer, but embarrassed by what she turned out to be. Anyhow, it'll fit on the bar-b-q pit or the stew pot, and this makes #4 for the season so far.Image
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:15 pm

rtom, what are your limits/restrictions there? Are they season long limits, by sex limits, per weapon rifle/BP/archery etc. and how long do your seasons run?
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Next

Return to General Discussions