Rutting action?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Big Horse

Re: Rutting action?

Postby Big Horse » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:40 am

I truly find it interesting how different your hunting is in comparison to mine rt4. Not only your seasons and limits, but your methods. Rifles, dogs, and you speak of a 150 yard shot like it's a chip shot, when most of the deer I've shot in my life were inside 20 yards. I would say the longest kill I've ever made was in the 100 yard range with a 50 cal. ML. In most of my set ups I can't even see a deer if it isn't within 40 yards of my stand. But I'm a bird hunter too and have Brittany's, so I enjoy the dog work and think I would like the experience of hunting deer over dogs someday.

As for rutting, Saturday I saw a huge 10 point solo with a doe in the middle of a cut corn field. Usually a sign of a receptive doe, but it is about 2 weeks early if she is. Yesterday I had a basket 8 point run a doe. They're definitely chasing, I'm a little surprised at the one big boy that appeared to have one hole up.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:55 am

I only use the rifle when I'm sitting in a tree stand, tower blind, or ground blind when still hunting. When we run the dogs, then we only use shotguns with buckshot. Most of my shots with the rifle are less than 100 yards and seldom over 200 simply due to the geography and the terrain down here. Remember when I'm sitting in a tree stand I'm overlooking a food plot most of the time and I usually don't plant them much over 150 yards in length at the most..........even if the clearing is much larger. The spot where I'm going to put out some corn in the swamp, was logged about 30 years ago, and that coupled with the standing water has helped keep some areas open enough that when I'm up in the box blind on stilts, I can probably shoot a maximum of 100 yards, but most likely average around 60. Down in the deep swamp, it's impossible to get into an area to sit with a rifle, because there's no way to get a stand through the deep water, and if I could, it's too thick and the water is too deep to get a decent shot and then retrieve the deer if I could get a shot at one. That's one of the reasons we use dogs to run the deer out of the deep swamps to areas that are easier to access. I'll also say that for those who have never experienced deer hunting with a pack of hounds, you'd be in for a treat and a surprise. The people whom I've taken on their first dog drives have been amazed at how difficult it is to shoot a deer that's being pushed by hounds, especially when they realize that the deer is usually a good 10 or 15 minutes ahead of the dogs when and if they've seen it go by.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 pm

After spending time in a tower blind watching 4 does feed for 15 minutes as they kept looking back in the direction they came from, then taking off; I expected a buck to come walking out on their trail. 45 minutes passed and no sign of a buck, so I bleated, hit the grunt call and the rattle bag, and still no buck. Finally at 5:45 I decided to head to the house. As I was about to take the turn on my path from the pond to the house, 4 deer jumped the ditch in front of me and went into some planted pines. This one was the only one that presented a shoulder from behind the trees, so with a 10 yard opportunity the temptation got the better of me. I debated whether to shoot it with the Sigma .40 or the T/C and opted for the rifle since I didn't want to take a chance at wounding it and possibly losing her. I should have killed on of the original 4 that I watched on the food plot, since with the boom of the rifle she cut a flip and then I realized how small she was. She was a 63 lb doe. I think I just need to stop hunting on my place and stick to the deep swamp! Anyhow, this is #6 for me this season, and I've still got half of the season left to go.Image
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:16 am

I'm getting some buck traffic lately on my trail cams. This pic is of a traveling large 6pt at my cam at a mock scrape. I say traveling because I have never seen him or have no pics of him. He did not visit the scrape, but the video following the pic shows how he was "panting", (sides of his body heaving in and out). I suspect he was chasing a doe and temporally lost track of her and was trying to find her.
Cdy00006-1.jpg
Cdy00006-1.jpg (100.05 KiB) Viewed 796 times
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:01 am

Awesome shot!

Good to hear from you Charlie! I'm really looking forward to getting otu this weekend. I've got 4 days, and I'm hoping some of the big boys will be cruising.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:29 am

And it appears he was out cruis'n late morning. That's about the same time a day I saw the buck with doe out in the middle of the field Sunday morning. I'm not very good at long sits, but it looks like I need to try and be in stand more than just the first few hours of the day.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:30 am

We had a rainy period at that time and that day was an overcast, cool day. I'm not very good at long sits either, but in the area of or suspected rut action, those misty or light rain days seems to bring out the seeking, and traveling of those older bucks. Those are the times when it is beneficial to try to sit longer. A few years back I shot a nice older 10pt under these same conditions. Definitely the right time to rattle.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

hunthard2

Postby hunthard2 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:34 am

I hunted last weekend and came out of the stand around 915. As I was driving down the driveway of my property approx. 930, I saw 10 does coming out of a tight thicket (near a backroad) I had over looked during scouting. I am going to have to agree with ya'll who said they're moving late. Looks like my sits are going to have to extend in time (and my stand location is going to change). Good luck and safe hunting everyone. Keep us posted on activity.

PS-anyone who hasn't seen Sailfish's post should take a look. Safety first!

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:21 pm

I put out some corn down in the swamp at the hunting club where we run dogs. There is a box blind on stilts down in that part of the swamp and the area around it is covered up with rubs and scrapes, there's even an 8" poplar that's almost rubbed in half. I plan to be in that box blind an hour before sunup in the morning.......hopefully dry if I can manage to slip into the site without taking a swim in the swamp in the dark!

Previous

Return to General Discussions