Rutting action?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Rutting action?

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:13 pm

Our season is from August 15th to Jan. 1st. We have 14 antler less days where we can kill two antler less deer and all the bucks we can. We can also purchase 4 additional doe tags for the weekdays, since all of the antler less days are on Saturdays and the last day of the season. There are no limits on bucks, and no specific seasons in most of the state for the different choice of weapons used. We can hunt with rifle, shotgun, bow, cross bow, spear, or bowie the entire season. Theoretically if a hunter were to kill only one buck per each day of the season, four does with his optional tags, and two does on every antler less day, he could actually kill a total of 172 deer per season and that's if he doesn't hunt on a Quality Deer Management farm or plantation where landowner tags can be used for antler less deer.

I've had years when I've killed twenty or more deer in a season, including days when I've killed four bucks running together, and often two does running together in front of the hounds. I've had a few times where I've killed three deer running together and even one instance when I was still hunting with a rifle and sitting on my 4-wheeler shooting a Winchester model 70 .270. That day was a month after my first series of strokes and it was like a shooting gallery at a fair as I shot one, bolted the rifle, shot the second, bolted again, and then shot the third one. By now it should be fairly obvious that we have a very large and healthy deer herd in this portion of the state. Which is why we can run deer with dogs, and bait to draw 'em out of the swamps.

I would point out that I donate venison to several individuals since we don't have any type of hunters feeding the hungry program in this area. Also, I have a 16 year old step grandson that I've raised since he was 3 months old; being on disability we depend on venison for at least 80% of our meat.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:04 am

Wow. That is about as opposite from our seasons's as it gets. Archery season runs Oct 1 to mid January and we can take as many does as you want to buy permits for, but are only allowed 2 bucks all year regardless of the weapon used. We have a 3 day gun season mid November, a 4 day gun season the 1st of December, and a 3 day muzzle loader only season in mid December. No rifles other than black powder can ever be used. Gun season consists of shotgun slug, BP, or handgun. The 3 gun seasons are a lottery and if your lucky you can get, one antlerless to cover the two gun seasons and another one for the muzzle loader season. And an either sex to cover the 2 gun seasons and another one for the muzzle loader season. Then we end with a 3 day mid January doe only gun season.

Sorry about the hijack, I probably should have started a new thread.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:10 am

I guess I was lucky BH... I got an antlerless and either sex for the regular firearms seasons, plus a ML either sex.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:14 am

I'd have to relocate to another state if I lived where you do!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:27 pm

rt4 that is just unbelievable!!!!! If you're not trying to be pulling a rubber leg I don't know why you need to bait or use dogs with a herd like that. Our season starts Oct 1st for bow and the 19th for ML and regular the 26th till the first weekend in Dec. We can take an anterless with the bow, either with the ML and only antlered during the regular season. If you happen to be unfortunate and don't take any ,,,,, come Sept you can hunt the last four days of Sept with a bow and can take up to three deer (anything). We don't have to put up with the crawley critters though like you do!!!!!!
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:23 am

Well, this is my #5 deer for this season so far. I shot it last night right at dark after it came out at over 200 yards away. I came to 150 yards directly down wind of my stand and was looking for the other deer it smelled. I had liberally applied some VS-1 and EverCalm due to the wind, as I got in the stand, so it had to be smelling those scents. It was standing at a very slight quartering to my right, but basically head on, when I put the cross hairs of the Aetec on it's neck and squeezed the trigger of the T/C Encore .308 and sent a 150 grain Winchester power point on it's way. The deer dropped dead in it's tracks and never moved a muscle that I could see through the scope. However; when I walked up to it, it wasn't the doe I expected. Instead it was a button buck that weighed 78 lbs.........which is what I get for shootin' 'em at dark! This is the seventh deer killed this season off or our little 78 acres. My nephew killed a six point on the first Friday of the season, my brother killed the big 8 point that I posted the picture of in a different thread, and I've killed a basket racked 8, a huge 140 lb + doe, two other does, and now this button buck. I've decided I won't kill any more off of our place, unless this huge 10 point I've been chasing for the last two years shows up. Instead I'll be concentrating on predators and hunting with the dogs and still hunting at the dog club for the rest of this season.Image

mhouck06

Postby mhouck06 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Nothing much going on here in my area of PA. Some of my mock scrapes are getting worked pretty well, but not much else. Some younger bucks are out moving around, but nothing I would get too excited about yet. Im thinking we still have at least a week or so to go here.

hunthard2

Postby hunthard2 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:54 pm

mhouck06 wrote:Nothing much going on here in my area of PA. Some of my mock scrapes are getting worked pretty well, but not much else. Some younger bucks are out moving around, but nothing I would get too excited about yet. Im thinking we still have at least a week or so to go here.

That seems to be the same thing here in NC. A lot of my buddies have killed deer and seen deer saying they were rutting but I hunted this weekend and saw a lot of does traveling together. They didn't seem to be getting harassed even by smaller bucks so I am going to say they still aren't rutting hard quite yet.
No worries Big Horse. I like hearing about anything hunting related haha

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 am

Saturday morning while hunting with the hounds in the swamp, I saw a line of rubs the likes of which I've never seen in my life. I found an 8" diameter Poplar that was about 3" in the middle of the rub and the rub was a good 5 feet from top to bottom. It looked exactly like some beaver had been using a ladder to climb up and gnaw on that Poplar. He's also got trees rubbed completely in two all through the swamp with a scrape every 50 feet or so. One of our other members has already hung his climbing stand in the area, so it's been staked out and he told me the trail cam pics are unreal.

I've found another spot across the swamp where we have a box blind up on stilts, and the acorns are so thick they crunch under your feet when you walk. The place is covered with deer and turkey tracks in the pluff mud, and there are rubs all in this area as well. I'm going to drop a couple of buckets of corn on a little ridge in there and see what shows up.

hunthard2

Postby hunthard2 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:11 pm

Good luck RT4 keep us posted

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions