only crop in area

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
stcspiderman

only crop in area

Postby stcspiderman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:44 am

i have 80acres and 60 acres is alfalfa still standing about 2ft hi, Have only crop up in square mile everyone one had corn or beans all been cut and plowed. I was wondering will all the deer in area come to the alfalfa, How much do deer like alfalfa. do to having only food sorce up does this increase my chances seeing more deer. land I hunt is blue out line looks like closed hand with pointer finger is all alfalfa. red dot are field been cut red out line is all swamp and thickets

Deebz

Re: only crop in area

Postby Deebz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:59 am

What's the sign look like? You should be able to tell if the deer have been feeding on the alfalfa or not fairly easily.

Deer do eat alfalfa as long as it's still green, and if there's no other food around I'd say you are doing ok.

I'd especially check out that fencerow on the bottom (south?) edge of your blue outline over next to the swampy area. Might be a good place to ambush deer going between food and bed.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

stcspiderman

Postby stcspiderman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:44 am

Deebz wrote:What's the sign look like? You should be able to tell if the deer have been feeding on the alfalfa or not fairly easily.

Deer do eat alfalfa as long as it's still green, and if there's no other food around I'd say you are doing ok.

I'd especially check out that fencerow on the bottom (south?) edge of your blue outline over next to the swampy area. Might be a good place to ambush deer going between food and bed.

its very green yet, I walked out put a blind up 150yds from swamp was 10 deer on corner of the field at 345pm

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:26 pm

We don't plant alfalfa down here in the South, but we do plant wheat, oats, rye, and triticale. The deer will eat those crops, even after they've turned brown and seeded out, but they especially love 'em when they're green. That's why I plant naked oats for winter food plots, along with turnips and Austrian winter peas.

It sounds like you are on to a good site, good luck!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions