Back Door Food Plots

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Back Door Food Plots

Postby shaman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:14 am

It's funny. I was discussing the issue of baiting, food plots, etc. with a colleague of mine, and I found myself facing an interesting conundrum.

Back in 2007, I planted a food plot in a pasture. I nailed the biggest buck of my life that year-- not in the food plot, mind you. However, he was probably on his way to servicing does that were using it. Since then, the pasture has regrown, you'd never know there was once clover and such in there, but the deer have continued to use it, both for feed and bedding. In less than a 1/4 acre portion we call "The Garden of Stone." We have taken more than a dozen deer in the intervening years, including the #2 and #3 deer of the whole camp as well as my #2, #3, #4 best bucks and a bunch of doe. Whatever grew back after the food plot devolved was very tasty to the deer.

Over the past few years, I have noticed that in late season, after the acorns are gone, the Garden of Stone has become a sea of deer scat-- piles are everywhere. Now there is a side benefit. I was looking at the latest Bing Maps Aerial , which was taken last October. There are now circular structures forming in the Garden of Stone. I went out and put boots on the ground, and figured out what it is: Blackberry bushes!

So let me get this straight: the deer were once attracted to the clover. They pooped in the clover and caused the ground to be fertilized somewhat and also allowed for the seeds of whatever the deer were eating at the time to start growing. Now I have a plot of blackberries and other deer delicacies springing up. This is truly a back door food plot for the deer.

Now, my question is this, for all those anti-baiting purists: is hunting the blackberry patch baiting?
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Deebz

Re: Back Door Food Plots

Postby Deebz » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:16 am

Baiting or not.... hunting those blackberry bushes is smart... and hopefully productive!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:17 pm

To all those who decry baiting, I say bull sh*t! There is no such thing as hunting deer without using some sort of bait. Does in heat are bait, natural browse is bait, water holes are bait, ridge lines and fence rows are bait, bedding areas, and trails to and from food and bedding areas are bait. Sitting on a hill top with a spotting scope and watching deer get up out of their sanctuary and head to any of the above, is taking advantage of bait, so no problem with hunting those blackberries at all!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Well, if not "bull sh*t!" at least in this case it is doe sh*t! and buck sh*t! :lol:
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:12 am

I like that!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions