Shamanic Dream Team Scores Double-Header

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Shamanic Dream Team Scores Double-Header

Postby shaman » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:03 pm

We’re just in from the field with fuzzy windchimes hanging on the meatpole.
Both Angus and I bagged bucks this morning.

Shamanic Dream Team Scores Double-Header in KY Opener

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Re: Shamanic Dream Team Scores Double-Header

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:41 pm

Those poor bucks were no doubt still in jet lag from the recent time change! :mrgreen:

Good for both of you!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Nice shooting, gentleman.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:58 am

Update: I got up at 0430 and got the coffee brewing.

SuperCore was already awake. He's on his way out now.

Moose made an appearance, drank coffee, ate a doughnut and went back to his rack.

Angus never left his rack. I think schlepping that buck out of the woods yesterday wore the wee one out. I know how he feels.

Me? I'm going not-hunt today. This is my favorite part of deer hunting. I'm going to get into my orange duds, and go out back to the Thoughtful Spot with my 25-06. If a doe comes within 200 yards, I'm going to fill my last tag. Otherwise, I plan on drinking coffee, eating pasties, watching the sunrise and listen to the shooting. The trick to not-hunting is that a) you have to have a valid tag b) you have to be in a valid season c) you have to go through all the normal processes of hunting, and d) you just don't care to pull the trigger. I've got two more weekends to fill one doe tag. I'm still a little beat from yesterday. Really the last thing I need today is another dead deer. From here out, it gets to be that eenie-meenie-minie-moe kind of hunting where I'm trying to decide which doe will look best in the freezer.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:01 am

I'm in. SuperCore just came in. We had identical luck-- he in his hunting and I in my not-hunting.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:04 am

Congrats on the double! Just glad I don't live in a state that has limits on the number and types of deer that I can kill for my freezer and the freezers of the folks I supply venison to.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:27 am

I hear you. Truth is that where we are, up in Zone 1 of KY, you can take an unlimited number of deer. The only limitations are that you are limited to 1 antlered deer and after the first 2 it cost $15 per 2 deer. In my case, I have freezer space for no more than 5, so I take two, Moose takes two, and Angus is still a youth-- he takes one. However, this year is special. Moose did not buy a license, and he volunteered to accompany Angus on his last hunts unarmed. Now that Angus took his buck, I bought him an extra tag for 2 more anterless.

So shaman, why not keep going after 5? Freezers are cheap.

Ahhh! Now we come to the crux of the problem. I hunt a single 200 acre plot. When I first got on the place back in 2001, deer weren't sparse, but there were fewer of them. I called in the wildlife biologist and he made recommendations and I started seeing improvements almost immediately. One of the biggest factors was limiting access. Before we arrived, everyone in the neighborhood was using the place as an un-official WMA. Over the years, by keeping it to just us, and controlling the number of deer taken, we have seen huge improvements. I would say that from 2007 - 2011, we had about as many deer on the property as you could possibly pack. Then things started to change.

Some say it is coyotes-- there are a lot of them to be sure. It could be poaching. It could be that I just have not kept up with the food plots. My guess right now is two things:
1) We have had 3 really bad years for acorns. One year was too wet, one two dry. This past one, should have produced a bumper crop, but it didn't. The deer we took both had corn in their bellies from feeders. Normally there would be no corn and their stomachs would be full of acorn.
2) The economic downturn has left a lot of folks out of work. I'm not saying there is poaching going on in a big way on my place, but it could be that the overall population is down from that.

So back to the point: restrictions. Yes, the state has the ultimate say, but right now, the biggest restrictions on what we are taking come from me and the dictates of the land. If I want everyone to keep on shooting their fill, I need to keep managing our harvest. Remember, that we are into this all year round. The filling of the freezers in November is just a small part of it.

Return to General Discussions