Bucks and does that disappear from your property

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Re: Bucks and does that disappear from your property

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:12 am

"So for this you may do one thing like you can build an artificial kind of house i.e similar to the one they were previously used to stay".

WHAAA???? Uh...we're talking about DEER here. WILD deer. They don't live in houses!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

northms

Postby northms » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Those bucks you're getting early in the year will break up and go their own ways a lot of times. Also with 40 acres those deer will be spread out over several properties. During the rut I see deer I've never seen before or since every year.
If you like hunting stories and articles, take a look at my blog.

http://www.ILikeToHunt.com

Shoot straight, have fun, and be safe!

1911p

Postby 1911p » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 pm

A lot of things will cause deer to move to different areas. As has been pointed out, and a major reason for deer moving out of one area into another is a change in available food. I've seen this often, one year there will be lots of good sized acorns in one area and the deer are plentiful, another year the acorns there are scarce, and the deer likewise.

Weather can change deer patterns, especially colder weather, they'll move the shady side of an area to an area that catches more sunlight in winter, more so on colder days, then when it warms up, poof they disappear again.

Also, as pointed out, the rut will spit up bachelor groups of bucks, they'll become more solitary, and establish territories, although more than one buck may use a scrape line, but often their scrape lines overlap, and that's where you'll find bucks locked in combat. Bachelor groups of bucks tend to hang out in low areas that have lots of grass and water in the summer, then they'll head to hilly areas that have secluded flats to establish their scrape lines.

Hunting pressure will move them to, not always that far, usually a mile or so, depending on the pressure, available food/water, and shelter from weather. You might find them in area one day, then weather changes and they move to a better area.

Deer are very predictable, it's just that the things that cause them to change their patterns are very random.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:35 pm

One thing you can count on, regardless; is that unless a dominant buck get's killed while he's on his gallivant, he will eventually return to his home area..........IF the girls are still around!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to General Discussions