So Close: A trip back in time to a close call last season.

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
NCSurvival

So Close: A trip back in time to a close call last season.

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:31 pm

Just wanted to share a quick story from my archive.

My memory doesn't serve me well at all and so all I can say with certainty, regarding the time-frame, is that this close encounter occurred just before breeding season, after the "bachelor" groups had split up and the bucks on the property were roaming alone.

I was in the stand at 5 am. This is the norm for me when hunting at this particular stand site. The leaves were extra crunchy and I needed to be in the stand early enough to give it time to settle down after my entrance. I pay close attention to the wind direction and take full advantage of it when entering the woods, but the leaves are impossible to avoid and it was relatively dry. Every step echoed, needless to say.

It's an ongoing joke that I should carry an extra arrow fitted with a field tip just for the squirrels that would no doubt have me twisting and turning to see what's running up behind me all morning long. In this part of NC, we have really fat squirrels. They go for $10 a pop is you know the right people. Anyhow...when the sun broke over the canopy and lit up the floor, I was pleased to see a doe with a couple of young ones lagging behind. On this particular hunt, I was after some antlers, not necessarily meat, so the doe was safe by me.

As usual, 10 or 15 squirrels made their way pass my stand site, every other one of them stopping for a brief moment to eat out the core of the corn that was thrown wildly 15 yards out from my tree. I've come to enjoy the company, even though when I first starting hunting I quickly developed a hatred for the little critters, that hatred had since passed as I matured as a hunter.

About 30 yards in front of my stand I had set a couple of mineral blocks in the middles of a small bunch oak trees that had blossomed together. This was specifically to get a deer to weave and change direction in hopes that he would walk towards my humble set-up.

About 2 hours after day-break, a dandy 8-pointer came into view. He paced himself, strolling in from my left and into view near the mineral blocks. Just as I had hoped, he turned right and began a very slow walk in my direction. He stopped every few steps to check the wind and sniff a couple of mock scrapes that I'd developed directly underneath two different hickory saplings that had a bend in them that allowed the deer in the area to lick and nibble on the small leaves sprouting out of the few limbs protruding out the tree's side.

I was already standing, and as soon as the buck put his nose to the scrape closest to me, about 15 yards out, I went to full draw.

It was like something out of a movie - a comedy movie. It seemed like the black Lab was playing a very cruel and dangerous prank on me. He came charging forward and stopped about 20 yards to the right of my stand. He barked and wagged his tail at the now startled Whitetail. The buck looked at the dog and darted in the opposite direction.

I'd never intentionally put an arrow through a K-9, but I'm not afraid to say that I came very close to having an accidental "slip-up" that morning.

I climbed down out of the stand, having been in the woods for close to 5 hours, cursing the dog that had just ruined an otherwise spectacular hunt, and wishing I knew the owner. To the little guy's luck, he was long gone by the time my feet touched the ground.

I don't think I'll soon forget this experience, if ever.

I'd like to hear ya'll's close encounters with man's best friend, or cats for that matter, if you have any.

Thanks for reading,

~John A.
God.
Family.
Hunting. America's real pastime.

Happy hunting!

kellory

Re: So Close: A trip back in time to a close call last seaso

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:02 pm

I too, have had problems with dogs and deer. A couple of years ago, while up in my best stand, the only deer I saw all say, was running hell bent for leather across my land pursued by two dogs. i was so mad I had to leave, before I put crossbow bolts through them. I stopped myself because I thought they might belong to a friend who had dogs. So I stopped in and asked him about them.
He informed me they did not belong to him, but if any of his dogs ever DID run deer," SHOOT IT. If it runs deer, I don't want it."

On another time, while up in the same stand, a horsewoman, decided to go for a ride through my property. At a range of about 25 yards, I asked her just what in the hell she thought she was doing?. The property is posted "No trespassing"" keep out", and" no hunting", so just what part made her think it was public land? She had to hop my chain to get in on my road as it was! "Oh, I didn't know you were here." says she, and I informed her I would be happy to call for a sheriff to explain what all those words on the signs meant, if she needed the help with reading. i haven't seen her since.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

NCSurvival

Re: So Close: A trip back in time to a close call last seaso

Postby NCSurvival » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:45 pm

You got me there. If there's one thing I cannot stand is someone who thinks it's alright to take a stroll, horseback or on foot/atv, through private land. At the end of the day, there are two types of trespassers - at least in the country - those who do hunt, and those who do not hunt. Those that don't hunt don't understand the time and effort put in year round to making sure everything is just right for opening day. I personally spend countless hours in the woods (where I have written consent to hunt) scouting during the off-season and hunting constantly. Some people simply don't understand what happens when you bring scent and animals onto your hunting grounds.

As for hunters who slip in and hunt private land without permission, it's no different than thieves to me. They're stealing time and effort away from somebody who has worked hard to prepare that land. This kind of wanna-be hunter is about as low as they come.

Moreover, I can relate to your frustration with the dogs. It's hard not to put a bolt, arrow, or lead through the damn critters, but I would have felt pretty bad that night had I shot that dog. Regardless, he/she was long gone by the time I got down.

I have a 6 year old Bull Mastiff and to be honest, I wouldn't want her running through any woods because she could be mistaken for a deer herself. I'd expect a hunter to at least give her a good scolding for ruining the day, but I'd be red hot if somebody shot my dog, lol.

Anyway, thanks for the story.

If you're hitting the stand in the morning like I am, good luck. Post some pictures if anything interesting happens!

~John A.
God.
Family.
Hunting. America's real pastime.

Happy hunting!

Return to General Discussions