Another Shamanic Double-Header

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Re: Another Shamanic Double-Header

Postby Deebz » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I see nothing wrong with having a deer down and in sight, then continuing to hunt if you have the valid tags. **of course assuming this follows the law for your area**

A lot of guys I know will kill the first big doe they see in the morning, then wait it out and let other deer walk looking for a big buck.

**also assuming that temperature is not going to play a role in potentially losing meat to spoilage
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:16 pm

Usually it's somewhere between 32 and 45F for the morning hunts around here. I had suggested that Supercore gut them in place, but he opted for us to come out and help and we got them to the meatpole before he started cutting on them. Nobody would think twice about a deer that was left unfound for 2 hours in that weather, so I didn't worry too much one way or the other. In 13 years of mostly waiting until the deer was back at the house to gut has not ruined any meat.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:38 am

Sounds about right.

I usually end up gutting the deer in the field, simply to make it easier to drag back to my truck. It's awfully hard to get back in to the spot I hunt with a pickup sometimes. If I'm lucky, the landowner is around and willing to bring the bucket loader out...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:17 pm

I rarely ever gut them in the field. I have a deer cart for easy transport, and I prefer to keep the meat and the cart as clean as possible. I wait until back at the barn with the gambrels, and the butcher knives.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions