Shopping time!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Shopping time!

Postby Sierra » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:00 pm

Happy day, just spent some of the evening prepping my little truck for my hunting trip. Assessed all my gear and figured out what needs to be replaced or augmented, and made a list of tasty healthy snacks I like. Put all this on paper and off to the store I go! I love shopping for new hunting stuff. Rarely I run into another chick doing the same, but when I do we generally strike up a conversation. One never knows who they will meet at the store on a hunting supply shopping binge :D And, I am even happier because I get three weeks of vacation next year too, but this time no honeymoon to use two weeks on, so more for the fall and winter.

Hope everyone is hunting happily and seeing much and bringing home the fruits of your labor. I'll take a day in a stand, blind or on foot over a day working on software hands down.

Anyone else out working on their setup?
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Retranger

Re: Shopping time!

Postby Retranger » Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:25 am

I worked on my set up much earlier. Our bow season starts the 27th of Sept. then muzzle loader opened the 19th of Oct with the regular season the 26 th of Oct. I hunted the bow season. Didn't bring home any meat but had a couple incidents that make a good hunting tail for my diary. :) Muzzle loader season I spent getting my friend and hunting buddy out. He is 90 and would not have gotten out otherwise. Again no meat on the table but a great experience with a good friend!!!! Now I am headed down the east coast to find some warmer weather for the winter. Have a good season,,,, Hunt safe
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:00 pm

My season opened on August 15th and we don't have any restrictions on type of weapon we can use, so all of my stands were checked out and if needed, repaired back in the summer. I've already put 7 in the freezers for me, and several people I supply meat for, and still have 'til Jan. 1st before our season ends.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Nov 23, 2013 6:47 pm

Ohio's gun season opens the Monday after Thanksgiving (I'm sure Sierra knows that) so Sunday we are going to put up a new tree stand. Temps in the teens tonight and in the am, which will freeze the fields so I can drive my truck to the wood line. Looking forward to it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:40 pm

Well things are looking grim here. I can't get a hold of the landowner where I have been hunting. I don't presume to have permission year to year, I ask for each season, and I am not going to go out there to hunt without word from him. (They've bought a house in Florida and live there most of the time now). Getting a little short on time here for me to have to quickly find somewhere else to go. So I am one depressed woman at the moment. I hope I hear from him or his wife, but otherwise I'll be stuck trying to find a square foot of public land to myself, that I am unfamiliar with. Wish me luck. The wedding and everything surrounding it kinda threw a wrench into my normal pre-season scouting activities and stuff.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:45 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Ohio's gun season opens the Monday after Thanksgiving (I'm sure Sierra knows that) so Sunday we are going to put up a new tree stand. Temps in the teens tonight and in the am, which will freeze the fields so I can drive my truck to the wood line. Looking forward to it.

Cool :-) Yeah, I am ready sort of, it's the "where" part that suddenly became an issue. Have fun out there! Do you take the week off for the season, or hunt around work? I thought I wouldn't really be able to partake in gun season this year due to exhausting all of my vacation time for my honeymooon, but I got a promotion and with it came some more vacation time. So yay, I promptly scheduled Monday and Tuesday off.

Best of luck to you, and have a good time :-)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:52 pm

rthomas4 wrote:My season opened on August 15th and we don't have any restrictions on type of weapon we can use, so all of my stands were checked out and if needed, repaired back in the summer. I've already put 7 in the freezers for me, and several people I supply meat for, and still have 'til Jan. 1st before our season ends.

I could handle your hunting regulations you have there. :-) Good job. One will do for my freezer this year if I am so fortunate.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Actually Sierra I retired in 09 after 34 yrs as an RN, so yes I have the whole week off. I won't hunt every day, but I will put in a lot of hours. I'm ready to go. I hope the opener does not bring rain. There was a covering of snow in the woods today and it would be great if we have that Monday. Good luck...have fun.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:33 am

Maybe this should have been posted earlier :lol: :lol:
Attachments
HuntingSeason_zps3ac12b5c.jpg
HuntingSeason_zps3ac12b5c.jpg (12.88 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Doug

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:18 am

Sierra wrote:Well things are looking grim here. I can't get a hold of the landowner where I have been hunting. I don't presume to have permission year to year, I ask for each season, and I am not going to go out there to hunt without word from him. (They've bought a house in Florida and live there most of the time now). Getting a little short on time here for me to have to quickly find somewhere else to go. So I am one depressed woman at the moment. I hope I hear from him or his wife, but otherwise I'll be stuck trying to find a square foot of public land to myself, that I am unfamiliar with. Wish me luck. The wedding and everything surrounding it kinda threw a wrench into my normal pre-season scouting activities and stuff.

If you get stuck with no place to hunt, give me a call. The place is only 9 acres, but I could put you on the other end from me in one of two ladder stands.( at least until you got written permission from your normal hunting spot.)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions