Camo Questions

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FlDeerman64

Re: Camo Questions

Postby FlDeerman64 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:10 am

It doesn't get that cold here,but my daughter wants to hunt and those boot blankets look good for her.

CleanShot

Postby CleanShot » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:28 am

kellory wrote:http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/featured/nicole-mcclain-stay-warm-during-hunting-season-with-the-heater-body-suit

Those body heater suits run a whooping $400 and I'm not sure how I feel about having to unzip to take a shot during archery season. It's also hardly a layering strategy. It's pretty much a nuclear option.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:01 pm

CleanShot wrote:
kellory wrote:http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/featured/nicole-mcclain-stay-warm-during-hunting-season-with-the-heater-body-suit

Those body heater suits run a whooping $400 and I'm not sure how I feel about having to unzip to take a shot during archery season. It's also hardly a layering strategy. It's pretty much a nuclear option.

em, which part of this was unclear?

"Re: Camo Questions
Postby kellory » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:32 pm

If your budget can take it, they even make battery heated, full body suits in camo or blaze orange. Your tether passes right through the back.
As for the emails, that only happens when you receive a private message. I keep one in my phone's email and ride the link back here everyday just to check in, and read.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing."

And i have known hunters to spend more than that of scentlok suits, that don't really work. There is a large market of hunting gear providers willing to take your cash, if you feel the need to buy what they are selling. I didn't say I had any need to buy one, I simply said they exist. ;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

CleanShot

Postby CleanShot » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:42 pm

kellory wrote:em, which part of this was unclear?

Everything is perfectly clear but it doesn't answer my layering strategy question. One thick layer is not what most folks mean by layering.

kellory wrote:"Re: Camo Questions

If your budget can take it, they even make battery heated, full body suits in camo or blaze orange. Your tether passes right through the back.

This gets back to my point that zip up layers seem to be fine but that kind of sucks for rain suits.

kellory wrote:As for the emails, that only happens when you receive a private message. I keep one in my phone's email and ride the link back here everyday just to check in, and read.

Actually I figured out how to subscribe to threads for email notifications. Look on the very very bottom of the page.
kellory wrote:The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing."

Given what I said above :)
kellory wrote:And i have known hunters to spend more than that of scentlok suits, that don't really work. There is a large market of hunting gear providers willing to take your cash, if you feel the need to buy what they are selling. I didn't say I had any need to buy one, I simply said they exist. ;)

Yeah I know that's what's scary. Don't get me wrong here I completely appreciate your feedback and advice. I guess I was just hoping there would be a better way without having to toss hundreds of dollars at it. I think that floral toga thing might actually be the winner :).

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:45 pm

CleanShot wrote:
kellory wrote:em, which part of this was unclear?

Everything is perfectly clear but it doesn't answer my layering strategy question. One thick layer is not what most folks mean by layering.

kellory wrote:"Re: Camo Questions

This gets back what is available. i would never pay that much for any super suit, but guys do.
This gets back to my point that zip up layers seem to be fine but that kind of sucks for rain suits. perhaps you could scotchgard it?

kellory wrote:As for the emails, that only happens when you receive a private message. I keep one in my phone's email and ride the link back here everyday just to check in, and read.

Actually I figured out how to subscribe to threads for email notifications. Look on the very very bottom of the page.
kellory wrote:The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing." um...this would be my signature line. it is on every post :D

Given what I said above :)
kellory wrote:And i have known hunters to spend more than that of scentlok suits, that don't really work. There is a large market of hunting gear providers willing to take your cash, if you feel the need to buy what they are selling. I didn't say I had any need to buy one, I simply said they exist. ;)

Yeah I know that's what's scary. Don't get me wrong here I completely appreciate your feedback and advice. I guess I was just hoping there would be a better way without having to toss hundreds of dollars at it. I think that floral toga thing might actually be the winner :).
In cold weather, and walking in for some ways, I would go light, and carry in the super suit. when it is truly cold, I use a carrhart extreme coverall (they only come in black) and they are pretty water tight. add some tear and shake hand warmers to inside pockets, and I do pretty well. also, an old sleeping bag held up with straps or suspenders, can keep you pretty warm and not interfere with your harness.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Previous

Return to General Discussions