Camo Questions

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Re: Camo Questions

Postby Sailfish » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:53 am

Retranger wrote:
Sailfish wrote:
Sailfish how about the thermo cell from cabela's :roll: :roll:

Oh we have them.
Like FLdeerman says, 'control'.
Many times it can make your sit just tolerable, other times, they will land on the unit. I think they use the chemical for some sort of natural high, or perhaps its to warm their little feet.....haven't figured that out yet.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:01 pm

For my money, the ThermaCell is the greatest invention of modern man. I DO NOT enter the woods without one. The secret is to fire it up before you get settled into your stand. I always fire mine up while I'm going to my stand, that way it's already heated up and doing it's thing before I get where I'm going. I've only had one experience where a mosquito even dared come around one, and that was in the Savannah River swamp after a couple of weeks of drenching rains following a very dry summer several years ago. Then I actually did see a mosquito light on a lit ThermaCell.....but it didn't stay on it but a second or two. They will also repel deer flies, yellow flies, and other biting insects including sand gnats. Although not a piece of camo clothing, it does allow hunters to sit still and not have to slap at the biting insects; so in a way it helps hunters remain undetectable to the deer.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

CleanShot

Postby CleanShot » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:40 pm

gentlemen... let me genuinely apologize. I thought I was signed up for emails when someone replied. I just read through your answers. I appreciate all of them.

My biggest issue with layer has to do with my tree harness. Like you said, you don't want to have too much on walking to and from the stand but once the harness goes on any base layers become "permanent". You can no longer remove a layer once it's on. Not only that but you can't add any layers either unless they are zip up! Things can't go over your head when there is a strap connecting you to a tree. That's the pinch from my limited experience thus far. That's really what I see as the biggest issue.

Being a new hunter I haven't quite learned how to deal with the elements while sitting in a tree motionless. There is almost a science to knowing how much clothing you'll need after you cool down from your walk in and the wind kicks up. Bringing extra layers definitely means zip ups are necessary. I thought at $250 a 7 in 1 parka actually turns out to be not such a bad deal when thought of that way. The price of wool zip up layers may not be much cheaper. But that's where I really wanted your thoughts! :)

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:32 pm

If your budget can take it, they even make battery heated, full body suits in camo or blaze orange. Your tether passes right through the back.
As for the emails, that only happens when you receive a private message. I keep one in my phone's email and ride the link back here everyday just to check in, and read.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

CleanShot

Postby CleanShot » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:31 pm

That's a possible solution but I frankly don't like the idea of battery packs running through my clothing in a tree stand. Best case, it malfunctions and you're cold. Worst case, it malfunctions and you have a small electrical fire in a tree stand.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:10 am

I had my first pair of battery-powered socks go bad after 1 trip out. That was back during Regan's first term. I haven't bothered with them since. Battery powered heaters are not a good idea.

You see the picture of the clown suit, back at the beginning on of this thread? Insulated bibs and coat. Boot blankets over insulated boots. Underneath is wool, and a set of uninsulated camo bibs for walking in and out. Underneath that is polypro. If need be, I supplement my with those chemical hand warmers. I throw the first one in the chest pocket of my bibs. The second goes under my hat.

That combination works well down into the low twenties. After that, I change into a freezer suit I had to buy when I worked at the frozen cheeseburger factory. That thing is rated to -20F, and I put one of those ponchos over the top. I can drive to work at -5F with the windows down in that suit.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:27 am

I also bought the electric socks, I think in Regan's second term and they were kind of worthless after a short period of time. I bought them again during Bush Sr's term hoping that they had improved the technology...nope. Thank goodness for the chemical warmers.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:43 am

Ohio farms wrote:. Thank goodness for the chemical warmers.

U know what I have issues with?
My feet sweat!
If I don't use the chemical deals my feet freeze to death.
If I do use them they are comfy, but then I get wet feet from sweating.
I have quality wool socks. I could use socks to wick, then wool over the top, but my feet sweat so much the actually soak the boot liner often.
Kind of in a catch 22

{sorry to the OP for the derailment)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:14 pm

MIne too... I just know that my feet are going to be cold once the temp gets much below 30...
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:23 pm

Everything I've read about the new ThermaCELL foot warmer insoles with the remote control leads me to believe they may have perfected the concept of electrical foot warmers. With the remote the wearer can regulate the temperature so that sweating isn't a problem. The only thing I've found that sounds negative, is the price.........I believe they retail for about $129.99 per pair.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions