my morning in the woods

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

my morning in the woods

Postby Homunculi » Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:52 pm

went out this morning for a morning of shotgun hunting .. decided to go to the ground blind instead of going to the ladder stand
woke up a little late .. got everything together .. sitting in the ground blind listening to everything on (birds, squirrels)

i have hunted this property over ten years and have not ever seen a coyote but, have always heard they were in the area ..
did my normal ... coffee .. a few apple and banana chips waiting for daylight .. this morning seemed quiet and not much going on
as daylight was breaking after about an hour of daylight i was hit with 2 calls from work ..

just a little aggravated about the calls... i ignored them for as long as i could and as i looked at my phone to check the time
got a sip of coffee out of the thermos after setting that down i look up and have a yote at 20-21 yards staring at me ..

got my shotty up and got my sites focused in and as i was about to take the shot he bolted off to the line of pine trees and honeysuckle
cover where i could not see him .. i took to long to site in .. wanting to make sure of my shot ..

10 to 15 min after that on the hill over the creek valley the neighbors have 2 dogs and i heard a dog fight from h@ll ,,
really hope the the dogs on the other hill are ok ..

really feeling like i should have taken a shot .. but with a slug i like to be sure of the shot ,, also i am a little nervous about being caught off guard by a yote so close :shock:
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Deebz

Re: my morning in the woods

Postby Deebz » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 am

I wouldn't be nervous about getting caught off guard... yotes are notorious for slipping in and being gone in a flash. I've had several sneak in on me this season and only got one hail mary shot as it was running away. (into an open field a mile long, so i wasn't worried about any collateral damage with a miss)

in my opinion, the only good coyote is a dead coyote for now. I understand they are necessary to clean up carrion and roadkill, but there are WAY too many in my neck of the woods. My last sit of 1st shotgun season was ruined. I set up where I was sure I'd get a shot at a deer based on the weather conditions... i was in my stand all of 5 seconds when I saw 5 big does blow out of the cover and head for open ground...followed by a giant coyote. I was not happy.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 am

I was told they were around the ranch I hunt, never saw one or heard one. Have seen a set of prints once.
2 weeks ago in the early a.m. I heard what I thought was one off the distance.
I have read they are def sneaky and most times don't want anything to do with us.

Remember the story of the turkey hunter that had the yote nip his arm when he was calling in toms?
Fella must have had impeccable camo!
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:51 pm

'Yotes, aren't hard to kill, if you can hit 'em. Maybe in the future, keep a load of buckshot or a turkey load in the gun and eject the slug and then cut loose. Remember that you don't have to aim a shotgun and can usually hit your target by pointing and pulling the trigger, if everything else about the gun is set up correctly for you. Down here where we run dogs for deer, 99.9% of our shots are at running deer in thick cover (not blind shooting at something we can't see, but not the best target most of the time); because of this and the fact that we use buckshot instead of slugs, we often kill 'yotes while deer hunting. That's also why I carry a handgun as back up 1) for snakes, and 2) for close encounters especially when sitting in a stand with a rifle. It's not out of the ordinary to kill two or more 'yotes every deer season, and another couple during turkey season. Then I always carry a handgun when I'm out and about my property, just in case of an encounter with a snake, 'yote, coydog, feral dog, or a ditch tiger. Anything from a .22lr to a .44 magnum will drop 'em if you hit 'em.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:41 pm

"Ditch Tiger"? That's a new one for this northerner. Incidentally, you seem to be really really well armed (and well prepared) out there.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:26 am

DO NOT MIX LOADS WHILE DEER HUNTING. (Unless you have cleared it with your local DNR legal dept.! (Dumb deer laws/ no second weapons/ no loads not intended for hunting DEER.) Even Yotes hunters, hunting during deer season must comply with ALL DEER LAWS AND REQUIREMENTS. At least, that is true here in Ohio.
Disregard this, only if you like the thought of a long stay in the gray bar hotel.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:17 pm

Not illegal in South Carolina to mix loads, unless you're hunting Migratory birds regulated by the Feds. No magazine limits either, except for the same Migratory birds.

Ditch Tigers are what we call feral cats. Sounds better when we say we killed a Ditch Tiger than to say we killed a kitty cat! BTW, I am never without a gun or two and a knife; whether at the movies, the bank, the grocery store, Walmart, Hunting, fishing, or running the tractor.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:31 pm

I agree ditch tiger does sound better. When I'm at my farm I'm always accompanied by a sidearm.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to General Discussions