Anyone here hunt feral hogs?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
rthomas4

Re: Anyone here hunt feral hogs?

Postby rthomas4 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:23 pm

The acorns and hickory nuts are long gone, down here. The deer, turkeys, ducks, and squirrels sucked them up like a vacuum cleaner!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 pm

We didn't have a lot of acorns this year. Most of the acorns I've found were small and wormy, although I did find one tree that had good sized acorns that were solid(no worms). The deer have been feeding mostly on grass and hickory nuts, some of the hickory nuts were still falling from the trees back during firearms deer season.

I've seen it like this before, the deer I killed then were full of grass mostly.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:54 pm

Deer do not actually eat grass, but clover and such within the fields. It may look like sheep grazing, but they are picking and choosing edible bits between the grass.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:56 am

Kellory: Aren't there some hogs over by you? I seem to remember reading about them a while back.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Yes, shaman, there are pockets of them here, but I have yet to find any. I have a rotisserie pig roaster ready to go, but it has never been tested with a pig yet. Why? Want to come up here and help me find them?
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:13 am

kellory wrote:Deer do not actually eat grass, but clover and such within the fields. It may look like sheep grazing, but they are picking and choosing edible bits between the grass.

The ones I've killed had grass in their stomachs. You've been making a habit of disagreeing with what I say lately kellory; Is there something the matter?

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Kell just likes to be proper... the "grass" you are seeing is probably a mixture of brassica and other natural forage. Clover and the like aren't really grasses, biologically speaking.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

1911p

Postby 1911p » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 pm

True; However, grass is long and thin, while clover has 3 round pedals and pinkish blooms, each are easily identifiable, and I'm sure what I saw was grass. I think deer might prefer clover over grass, but I would also think they wouldn't mind eating grass if it's the only thing there was enough of to sustain them. And those deer were stuffed full of grass. They were killed in the woods just above the fields as they made their way up a long gully between two ridges, after gutting them, I cut open their bellies and got the distinct smell of fresh grass and a big pile(about 3 gallons or so) of long green grass. It had been chewed into shorter sections about 2" or so in length, but you could tell it was from longer grass, because there were truncated middle sections that had been chewed off, as well as sharp ends, with a little clover mixed in, but it was mostly grass.

There wasn't a lot of their normal forage that year, and I think they were trying to fill themselves by gorging on the grass, which there was plenty of. It was also very dry that year, so they might have been eating the grass to get hydration from the dew that was on it.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 am

Deer will eat naturally occurring native wild grasses when their normal forage foods aren't available. Also, some crops such as naked oats appear to be grasses when consumed by deer. Naked oats (or Johnson oats) put most growth into the stalk and very little into a seed head, thus giving them the appearance of a grass, very similar to what is found with Rye grass and early season wheat or triticale. Since Rye grass is often seeded along the sides of roads and highways, that is the reason deer are often seen at night feeding along the side of the roads. They aren't grazing on the actual roadside grass that is so often planted to help prevent erosion as much as they are grazing on the Rye grass that is planted to keep the sides of the roads green.

I plant naked oats along with Austrian Winter Peas in my fall and winter food plots, and have noticed that it often appears as grass once it's been consumed by the deer.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:40 am

It depends on how specific you want to be. Deer generally don't eat true grass-- things like fescue. They will, if there's nothing else available, but there is enough silicates in true grasses to grind down a deer's teeth to nothing in short order. Their stomachs are also not built to take too much grass.

Deer are browsers. They'll eat between the grass and nibble at whatever else is there. They'll also chomp trees, bushes, berries, nuts, etc.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions