New hunter with questions?!?!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
FuryXbow

New hunter with questions?!?!

Postby FuryXbow » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Hey everybody!! Well I just got in to hunting this year, I have a recurve bow and a crossbow that I use for deer hunting. Well this year I have taken two shots at a deer with a my Xbow, but have found no deer. Being a new hunter it is very discouraging that the first two deer you shoot you can't find. The first I shot I think I hit her in the leg because she jumped and held her leg up and just stood there looking around and then slowly walked off. I followed her blood trail and it suddenly ended!! Yesterday I thought I hit a deer in the kill zone, she was at most 10 yards away, I shot I heard the smack and it all happened so fast but I think she jumped after the smack but can't be for sure. A lot of snow on the ground so I figured a easy track but I couldn't even find my arrow or a solid blood trail. So maybe I didn't hit her. So my question is does blood show up that well in snow or is it just as hard to track? Also what else can I do to find the deer I shoot? Honestly I am worried about shooting another deer cause I don't want to go 0 for 3, I might just quit hunting if that happens cause what is the point if you can't find it!! UGH ANY ADVICE HELPS!!!

Deebz

Re: New hunter with questions?!?!

Postby Deebz » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:44 pm

Just keep practicing your shooting. Study as many pictures of deer anatomy as possible. 3D targets can help a lot in this department.

Don't give up, the first couple of deer I shot I lost as well. I spent a summer shooting as much as I possibly could... up to 50 or 60 shots at a time whenever I could get out there. After that I was super confident in my shooting abilities. Spend some time on YouTube watching videos that show the kill shots. Make sure that you are aiming for the kill zone.

Aside from that, make sure that you are using really sharp broadheads to maximize damage caused.

Good Luck!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

FuryXbow

Postby FuryXbow » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:47 pm

Thanks Deebz, I have watched a lot of youtube videos about hunting and deer anatomy, I probably took near a thousand shots this summer with my recurve at a 3D deer target. The first hunt I went on with my recurve was in early October, the closest I got to a deer was about 35 yards and my range with my recurve is really about 15 yards. So I decided to buy a crossbow so that it would give me a better chance of getting a deer right now, cause I am just not that good at hunting so getting close to a deer is just something I will have to work on. Turns out the first two shots I took with my crossbow I could have taken with my recurve haha. So as for tracking after a shot, what kind of advice do you have? I know I should remain still for at least 30 mins before I move, is there anything else that I can do to help me find a deer that has been shot? I have read that spraying hydrogen peroxide on the area where blood might be, the blood will start to bubble. Also just a thought I had, do deer bleed less if it is cold and can blood look more orange in the snow? I found a orange spot about 40 yards away from my last shot deer and I thought at first it was just urine but it didn't smell like urine.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Sorry for your loss. It's always painful to lose a hit deer and I'm sure that all of us remember most of them if not all. Tracking a lethally hit deer in snow should be easy, so if you had snow and a poor or absent blood trail it would indicate to me that you may have missed. If you do not have an exit wound on a shot the blood trail might be small, but in snow you should be able to find it.
When you shoot at a deer try to pick out a small spot on the deer not just a area. During all the excitement try to calm yourself down and focus on that spot.
Waiting after the shot depends on where you hit. On a double lung or heart shot should only take a short time for them to die, but it's hard to be really sure where you hit them in the excitement of the moment to really be sure...wait 20-30 min. Gut shot...8 hours?. Look on the internet to get a list of recommended wait times on different hits. I try to be conservative with waiting. You don't want to push them too soon, but it can be hard to wait when you are excited. The best way to get better at trailing deer is to get involved doing it. If a buddy gets a deer offer to help him. You can learn a lot backtrailing a deer that you do find if you see it fall.
You mentioned that you have practiced a lot and that's great, but keep doing it. Look up old topics here as most things have been discussed before. Good luck
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:04 am

Don't just look for blood on the ground,, look on the brush that the deer traveled next to ,,,, may be a little on the brush and never reached the ground, might find some fatty tissue and some may have plugged the entry and or exit hole. Also look for hair in the area on the ground that you shot the deer,,,should show up good on the snow. Deer also leave tracks when walking or running,,,,should be able to follow them in the snow pretty easily. How long should you wait :roll: :roll: :roll: very controversy subject. IMO don't wait. " If the arrow did not pass through the broad head will continue to do damage as the deer is moving and if it did you want the heart to keep pumping blood out as much as possible. If the deer lays down everything slows down and possible clots will form and seal the wound." This was taken from an article written by an archery hunter who was also in medical research. He claims he has killed deer with his bow and when gutting examined the lungs and found scar tissue where an injury had occurred and healed.
Keep practicing and get some help to track a hit deer. Good luck ;) ;)
Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:28 am

A lot of folks think a solid hit in the chest will yield a blood trail. Truth is not always.

Think about a milk jug filled with water. If you hit low and exit low, you drain the milk jug almost immediately. If you hit high and exit low (the typical treestand shot at close range) you still drain the jug quickly. However, if you hit high and exit high, you only drain out the top of the jug. Now relate this to deer: a high-in/high-out shot may puncture both lungs, but the chest cavity will have to fill to the height of the lowest wound before there is a blood trail.

Back trailing is always a good idea. I've been away from bow since 2007 due to a bum shoulder, but I always analyze the sign from the carcass back to the point of impact. Even with a double-lung/heart shot with a 30-06, if the deer runs 30 yards before piling up, I may not see blood until 10 yards before the deer falls. In some cases, I won't see blood until I turn over the carcass. It all depends on the height of the lowest wound. A high exit wound delays the formation of a blood trail.

In regards to the arrow working itself into the vitals after the shot: I remember back to 1999. I nailed a button buck with a brisket shot at 5 yards and buried the arrow about 1/2-way in. The deer took off, and I had next to no blood. I shot this thing at 0800, and I didn't find my first spec of blood until 1000. The deer had gone 60 yards, and might have gone a mile if he hadn't decided to run into thick weeds. The arrow kept catching on the weeds and it kept working itself round-n-round, and the deer succumbed within 10 yards of hitting the weeds. It looked like I'd run his lungs through a Vegomatic when I cleaned him.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 am

Switch to a gun.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

FuryXbow

Postby FuryXbow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:46 am

I will probably get a rifle someday but right now I can only hunt on public land and in my area some public lands don't allow rifles or it is only the first 9 days of gun season when you can use a rifle. It is usually really busy on public land during gun season so I just stay away for now and I spent a lot of money on my crossbow so for now I will just use that. I also hunt from the ground and so far this season I have been somewhat successful on the ground, just haven't got a deer yet but I am finding the deer. So I am gathering that it is best to try and aim for the heart area of the deer instead of the lungs? Has anyone used a dog to track a wounded deer? I have thought about getting a versatile hunting dog that I can use for tracking down my deer and also for bird hunting.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:46 pm

I would not suggest that anybody ever try for a heart shot specifically with archery equipment. While a heart shot definitely gives you a quicker kill, the chances that you'll miss low or forward are much higher. Instead, choose a spot about the size of a quarter that is smack dab in the middle of the kill zone (heart/lung area). The expression is "aim small, miss small"....if you don't hit your quarter sized spot, you can miss by up to several inches and still be putting your broadhead through some serious vital tissue.

Another thing to think about is the shot angle. I once shot a deer that was broadside/quartering away, but the front half of his body was turned away. I shot where I was sure would be double lungs, but that deer ran for miles and I never recovered it. Due to the weird positioning of the deer, we decided I must have actually hit behind the lungs and didn't get enough liver to kill the deer quickly. Always envision the path of the arrow/bolt through the deer from the point of impact to the point of exit... shoot the spot that is going to put the absolute most amount of vital tissue between those two points.

Tracking dogs can be awesome. I've never used one, but I've heard good things about a good bloodhound. Now...I wouldn't suggest trying to find a dog that will trail a deer and then expect to hunt small game/birds with it as well. You're likely to have a dog that will start running the first hot deer track it crosses and then run that deer into the next county. I'm sure there are dogs (especially with good training) that are the exception to this rule, but they are most likely few and far between. Also make sure that using a dog to trail a deer is legal in your neck of the woods.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

1911p

Postby 1911p » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:44 pm

Yep, as suggested, shoot a lot. When I first started bow hunting I shot so much that my shoulder separated from it's socket. I literally shot all day, every day for 3 months before the season started, and I shot at very small targets, so it was hit the target or buy new arrows every day.

Again, study deer anatomy, making only broadsided shots is best, and at ranges withing 25 yards, also set up your pins so you have one for every 5 yards, starting at 5 and going out to around 35 yards. Shoot each distance until you can put 3 arrows dead center the bull's eye at that range, then back up, then run the drills again, and again, and again. I've killed several deer with head on shots, but you have to put it dead center(not in a shoulder). I killed one with a liver shot, and another one with a shot to the neck, because it was the only shot I had that wasn't blocked by foliage. This is where being able to hit small targets pays off.

Practice shooting in different environments, out in the open, in the woods, from a stand, and so forth. Shoot at different times of day, good light and low light. Shoot up hill, downhill, level, over things likepost_id"

Next

Return to General Discussions