New hunter with questions?!?!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
1911p

Re: New hunter with questions?!?!

Postby 1911p » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:48 pm

Yep, as suggested, shoot a lot. When I first started bow hunting I shot so much that my shoulder separated from it's socket. I literally shot all day, every day for 3 months before the season started, and I shot at very small targets, so it was hit the target or buy new arrows every day.

Again, study deer anatomy, making only broadsided shots is best, and at ranges withing 25 yards, also set up your pins so you have one for every 5 yards, starting at 5 and going out to around 35 yards. Shoot each distance until you can put 3 arrows dead center the bull's eye at that range, then back up, then run the drills again, and again, and again. I've killed several deer with head on shots, but you have to put it dead center(not in a shoulder). I killed one with a liver shot, and another one with a shot to the neck, because it was the only shot I had that wasn't blocked by foliage. This is where being able to hit small targets pays off.

Something that will help a lot at first is a range finder, use it every chance you get, try to estimate distances, then verify them using your range finder, you'll get good at judging distance that way. I once missed an 8 point buck completely, because I changed pins after second guessing the distance. The deer was only 8 yards away broadside to me, I first placed my 10 yard pin on him, was about to release the arrow, then that little voice in the back of my head said "That looks more like 20 yards", so I raised my bow up to the 20 yard pin and fired, the arrow went right across the bucks back. I swear I saw the fletching graze the hair on his back. :shock:

Practice shooting in different environments, out in the open, in the woods, from a stand, and so forth. Shoot at different times of day, good light and low light. Shoot up hill, downhill, level, over things like bushes, through things like small trees, anything that could possibly be a problem learn to shoot with it there.

Just like shooting a gun, steady hold, smooth release and follow through.

Also work on your breathing, learn relaxation techniques to help you control your breathing and heart rate, breath in deep and let it out slowly, this will relax your physiology and help you make clean shots when at the moment of truth. It helps to learn this by running to increase your heart rate, or otherwise do some physical activity to increase your heart rate and breathing, then practice the technique while shooting with the increase heart/breathing rate.

With a broadhead, any well placed shot is going to leave a nice blood trail. Heart and lung shots are your best bet, although a liver shot will be fatal, or a cut artery also fatal, but heart and lung shots are your best bet because they're a much larger target. If you shoot for the heart, it's best to aim a little high, if you miss a little you'll get the lungs, if low you still hit the heart, dead on at the top you cut the arteries coming from the heart and you get the lungs = rapid demise.

Tracking in the snow is easier, even if the blood trail dries up, you can still follow the deers tracks very easily, and if you run out of arrows, you can throw snowballs at the deer. :mrgreen:

FuryXbow

Postby FuryXbow » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:40 pm

Thanks for the advice guys!! Going again on Sunday so hopefully I see something, figured I would check out my same spot again. I am in Oklahoma City and I have heard that some hunters think we could be getting close to the second rut. Should I try using deer calls? I haven't really used them that much, I used some calls this last weekend and 15 mins later here came a doe, probably just a coincidence.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 am

I've not had a lot of luck doing blind calling....but when I can see a buck that is either far away or beginning to move away from me, I've had some luck using the "can" calls to get bucks to come back. Grunt calls and a snort wheeze have also been productive for me, but only when I have visual contact with the deer.

I have had deer show up after I tried some rattling sequences, but I can't say for sure they came in to my calls.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:54 am

Since I actually deer hunt with dogs and have had blood trailing dogs most of my life; I can tell you that just because a dog will run deer, doesn't mean ti will trail a wounded deer. Now, some trail dogs will do both, and some tracking dogs will only trail a wounded deer; but, normally one that will blood trail will run deer. With that bit of confusion stated, Labs or mixed breed Labs will often hunt both birds and trail wounded deer; but in my experience the best blood tracking dogs are Beagles and Jack Russell Terriers. Currently, my blood tracking dog is a Jack Russell but he will not bark or bay a deer when on trail or when he finds it, so that means putting him on the trail with a leash and getting drug through thickets and briars which is where wounded deer normally like to go. I would love to have him to the point that he would go to the dead deer and bay it, but at 5 years old, it's not going to happen. Most Labs won't bay a dead deer either, but Beagles usually will. Right now I'm looking for a female Beagle that blood trails as a possible mate for my Jack Russell, since I'd like to raise a litter of cross bred puppies for deer hunting and potentially have a couple that would make good blood tracking dogs. Just remember that an exceptional tracking dog will usually be a one man dog and may not work for anyone but it's master, so don't expect to be able to buy a ready made trail dog. It usually requires some work on your part to develop such a dog, as well as developing the bond so that the dog will want to find your deer for you.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to General Discussions