best way to attach saftey harness to tree on my ladder stand

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
cvcman

best way to attach saftey harness to tree on my ladder stand

Postby cvcman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Ok this summer im going to change the ratchet straps on my 2 ladder stands...they are probably shot from the sun etc...now i had a carabiener attached to the tree with a flat nylon strap that I too am going to replace but wouldnt a eye bolt screwed into the tree be better...or a chain ??? something that will hold the caribiener so can just snap it onto my harness

1911p

Re: best way to attach saftey harness to tree on my ladder s

Postby 1911p » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:24 pm

I'd feel safer with a hitch around the tree. I think the tree sap could corrode the eyed bolt, if it did you could take a fall.

Whenever I go up a tree I use a throwline and weight, put it over a good limb or fork well above where the stand is, using a running bowline, use the rope to ascend to the stand leaving myself attached to the rig, then repelling down on the same rope when I'm ready to leave. I tie the throwline into the bowline before running it up, that way I can retrieve my climbing rope once I'm on the ground.

If you can find a good horizontal limb, you won't even need a stand in the tree, just let your harness support part of your weight, and the limb part of your weight. With a good harness it's actually pretty comfortable.

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:25 am

a chain as a "hitch"?? I dont see the flat nylon straps anywhere that came with the stand,,,,I can get the ratchet straps for the stand to the tree anywhere but dont see the other straps

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:11 am

Don't use a bolt.

Use the approved strap that came with the harness. The reason is that this has been tested, and someone is willing to put their butt on the line facing a product liability suit if it fails.

On the other hand, you have no idea what that bolt will take . Testing it to failure will destroy your bolt and the tree. Without testing, you have no clue what it will take to pull the bolt out of the tree. You falling even a little ways out of a stand will create tremendous force-- so much so that any system you buy will have to be replaced after one use.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:20 am

AGAIN...the strap that CAME with my stand is rotted.....I threw it away and I dont see just the straps like that anywhere...what I did was used the strap to fasten a caribeiner to the tree and left it...this way I climed up, snapped the caibeine to my harness and I was done..

Maybe a pc of lifting chain wrapped aoud the tree fasten together with the caribeiner ??

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:30 am

That your strap rotted probably means you left it on the tree-- bad ju-ju.

Contact the mfg of your safety harness, have them send you a new strap and this time, take it with you when you leave the stand.

Do not use a bolt. Do not use a chain. Do not use green eggs and ham. Use a strap that is approved by the maker of your safety harness, otherwise you are asking for a very short ride with a very bad ending.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:39 am

I know they sell them at Gander Mountain because I've bought them. Should be able to find them at Cabela's too. I would not mess around with a homemade device either. Good luck.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:46 am

yea i did leave it...again I attach the caribeiner to the tree using the strap so I just climb up and hook the caribeiner onto my harness...I used to just leave it on there for the season then take t down....better start doing that again

shouldnt be a problem leaving it for a month right ? Also using the caribeiner should be safe too ?

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:56 am

It should be fine over one season, but I would not leave it overwinter. The clip system that you are describing is fine, just make sure that it is rated for the job intended.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:02 pm

If you don't have a strap you can use a length of polyester rope rated for life support(at least 5500 lbs tensile strength), be sure to use a hitch that won't roll or slip. or you could tie in with a lanyard, and a blake's hitch, just snug the blake's up tight to the tree with the other end tied to the biner and clipped into your harness.

A good quality polyester or poly/nylon blend rope will last much longer than the strap that came with your stand, it should last you a lifetime of hunting if you take care of it. You can get that sort of rope from an arborist supply for about a dollar a foot. Makes a good drag rope to.

Next

Return to General Discussions