are ground blinds safe

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
cvcman

are ground blinds safe

Postby cvcman » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:43 pm

I am thinking about a ground blind inaddition to my ladder stands...just for the nasty days...some say its a good way to get shot...others say moe people are killed falling from tree stands than shot in ground blinds...its rifle here for deer...I hunt thick junk too

kellory

Re: are ground blinds safe

Postby kellory » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 pm

I have, and use an ameristep reversible doghouse blind. it has two different camo patterns on inside and outside, and can be reversed by opening two zippers, flip the sides inside out, and rezipped. it has a full floor, and shoot through membranes that I never use, they just fog up. During gun season, I use the camo orange cap that I purchased at the same time. it simply hooks on with bungees, very simple. I prefer to hunt from the trees, for the most part, but when very cold, the pop up blind works well, and with a blanket over my chair, and a small 1000btu propane heater under my chair, i was quite comfy, for long stretches at a time. Are they safe? well, anywhere but on public lands on opening deer gun day, I would say yes, they are just fine. but during deer gun on public lands, I would not be caught on the ground. There are often too many hunters, in too small a space, and no one knows where anyone else is, if they can not be seen, or if they are excited and shoot without looking beyond their target.
I have been shot at without a blind, or stand on public lands before, and did not enjoy the feeling. There are guys who never use a weapon of any kind but for deer gun, and public lands are where you find them. (if they were more serious, they would practice more, and have made arrangements for hunting on private lands if possible.that just stands to reason.) and for that reason, if I happen to be hunting public lands at that time, it will be from a tree, and wearing plenty of orange.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:35 am

Safe?

The ground blind is safe. It's what's between your ears that can be unsafe. I've got a neighbor who baits in a big way at a spot close to where his land, my land and another guy's land all comes together. Mind you, I haven't hunted there in 10 years-- I could kind of see something like this coming. So the baiting neighbor sets up in his big permanent blind and just before sunrise the other neighbor comes down to the fence, sets up a pop-up and crawls in. This guy had his back to the first neighbor, but unless the neighbor had seen him set up, he'd have not known the fellow was there. The pop-up was across the creek in a direct line between the permanent blind and the feeder.

My point in this is that if you go crawl into a little camo hut, you're begging to be shot. The other hunter has no way to know you're there. That does not mean you have to decorate it like Christmas, but it helps to put up some serious orange close by. I use mine very seldom since the kids have grown, but when I did, it was always in the middle of my own private land.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:08 am

Luckily I don't hunt public lands, and the only person who hunts (legally) on land close to mine, is a bow hunter and we're separated by some pretty impenetrable briar thickets along a creek bottom that is the property line; so I've never had any close calls or problems when using ground blinds. I could easily envision what could occur on public land, though.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

cvcman

Postby cvcman » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:43 am

well i hunt my own land too...but....you cant tell a 30-06 bullet to just stay on your own land ! Im worried about the guy in the next set of woods and where is bullet is going to end up !

MZS

Postby MZS » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:26 pm

This depends where you are. On private land with lots of trees around you and no other hunters, no problem. The blind is not a factor since nobody is going to see you anyway. And in open country it might be a hazard even on private land. On public land you are asking for trouble - a guy sets up 100 yds in back of you after you set up. He doesn't see you, assuming you have no blaze orange, and a deer comes between you and him. On public land make sure blaze orange is visible from all sides during a gun season. In WI, a 1-ft square is required on each side in the state forest during the deer gun season.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:43 pm

Around here(mountainous terrain), you're better off on the ground than in a tree, reason being is a bullet has a better chance of hitting you up in the tree than down in a ravine. Things that are up in the air tend to get hit by bullets more often than things that are down on the ground, especially in hilly country.

Another reason I like the ground is, if someone starts shooting and misses, you can take cover pretty quickly, let someone start shooting at you while you're strapped to a tree and see how fast you can take cover.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:59 am

cvcman, notice I stated that there are no other legal hunters near my property. The trespassing poachers I have problems with, use archery equipment, and the only legitimate hunter within a mile of me is also an archery hunter. If your property is located close to other gun hunters, then I certainly can agree with your comment, especially if you have a lot of open and/or flat land. I'm protected on one side by the city limits and a housing area, while the front of my property is protected by a heavily traveled state highway. The other side is protected by a dirt road which is bordered on one side by our property and the other side by the property hunted by the archery hunter, while the rear has a creek running through a thick wooded bottom with more of the property which is hunted by the archery hunter, and a cut down that is owned by a man who doesn't allow any hunting and it's surrounded by county owned land that is constantly patrolled by law enforcement to keep people off of it since it's airport property. In other words, I feel pretty safe when I'm on my place, whether up a tree or on the ground.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Dinkus

Postby Dinkus » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:59 pm

We always got an accident report each year when I taught hunter's ed for the Arkansas Game & Fish. It usually averaged 25 accidents reported and half of them were tree stand related. I never saw one involving a ground blind. I did notice though that a law was passed a few years back that states that a blind placed on public land must have 144 sq. in of blaze orange on all 4 sides. You might want to check the laws in your state. Ours change yearly.

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:33 pm

I hunt several ladder stands and one ground blind on private land. I myself don't feel threatened, though whenever I hear shots on adjacent property I listen for bullets striking through branches, only once I heard birdshot raining through the trees a couple of hundred feet from me, so I moved to a further part of the property.

The safely factor I consider is my own shooting, there are a few residences and farm buildings several hundred feet to several thousand feet away that are well within range of a level or elevated shot from a .30'06. That is why my preferred locations are my tree stands, I am shooting down and can see the ground the bullet will strike from pass-throughs or a miss. I do not take horizon or uphill shot where the bullet will end up where I can't see.

The ground blind is on a mostly level field with a gentle rise toward the road. I find I must be very careful with my shooting there. I sit with my back to the landowners house 200 yards behind me, I don't even look for targets in that direction. Shots toward the road are only taken when deer are low on the slope , with plenty of ground rising up behind them over their backs. Shots elsewhere across flat open fields are only taken when the background has been scanned very carefully, and frankly I have not taken any of those yet.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

Next

Return to General Discussions