are ground blinds safe

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Re: are ground blinds safe

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:39 am

I use mine during rifle, I take the kids with me in it (fidgety). We get up close and personal with the deer and they enjoy that.
I hunt PVT land, and the surrounding 2000 acres in either direction I haven't heard a shot or seen a hunter. I feel confident and safe.
However, public land, not a chance.

I did have this harrowing close encounter however a couple days ago that really has me on edge now

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bo44444 ... V.mp4.html
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:50 pm

watched your vid, awesome encounter with a doe...but what was harrowing about it?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:58 am

Deebz wrote:watched your vid, awesome encounter with a doe...but what was harrowing about it?

I was being facetious
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Ha...sorry to ruin that for you...

I was really expecting to see her charge the blind, or have someone else shoot over her back and almost hit you or something...

I've seen deer while hunting from a ground blind, but nothing in close. I'd like to be able to stick one from the ground some day.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Deebz, I had a doe, come from my left, and tuck her head into my blind while I was in it! Scared the crap out of me! I didn't hear her approach.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:08 am

Nice... That's when you should try for the Bowie knife to the jugular hit!

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:12 am

Deebz, she scared me, I scared her, and by the time I could get the crossbow on target, she was high tailing it out of range. I had to laugh once I calmed down though. :lol:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

FlDeerman64

Postby FlDeerman64 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:52 pm

I ground blind hunt on private land and it's great for taking kids.They don't have to remain as still as sitting out in the open.

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:55 pm

I've hunted in a ground blind a few times but never even seen a deer. Better option for us is a hut. We've made a few at camp. Most are about six feet off the ground. Maybe 5x5 or with windows that you can open. Heater inside if need be. Only hunt them when it's nasty out. Almost no scent when the windows are closed. Have had a deer actually come through and under it (had already used my doe tag).

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 am

I have many open ground blinds(brush) between stand sites...I stick one tall branch behind my chair in each that I can tie an orange bandana to if I'm moving and sitting...even with my raised enclosed blinds I have orange fleece strips I hang out the windows during gun season...this is on private land...for Guys stand on the property line and shoot in when they think I'm not there...during bow I have heard behind me in the middle of the property..."Oh crap she's in her stand!" ..I take no chances...my blinds are difficult to see even the enclosed ones I have built...As the pics show...the ground brush blind look like large brush piles...Great for turkey/bow very scary in gun season.

IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG (201.3 KiB) Viewed 391 times

IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1256.JPG (214.45 KiB) Viewed 391 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions