are ground blinds safe

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kellory

Re: are ground blinds safe

Postby kellory » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:07 am

Very nice. In the second shot, I had to enlarge the pic to spot it. (On my phone) laptop is trashed, so phone access is all I have at the moment. You have enough room to draw a bow in that? Can't tell the dimensions.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 am

I build my blinds with bow in mind..1st pic the blind is 4x4x6ft high but it has a 4x4ft deck wrapped deck for bow hunting...that is also my cardboard blind...5yrs old now made out of a shipping pallet card board and covered in a tarp...clothe swivel office chair and rug inside...to this date still nice and dry..
The 2nd is scrape construction wood 6x10x10h the blind is 6x6'4"6'2"tall and the wrapped deck with chair is 6x3'6". The walls have card board insulation the floor 3in hardboard.
I shot a doe out of it last year.the windows slide down and have camo bug screens with black out covers for turning on lights early morning or if I sleep in it...has a cot and privy and a big buddy propane heater. construction pics...getting the support poles and sides up was a tad difficult...for they are not in the ground on either blind...just in case moving is needed at some point...did all work my self...

IMG_0429.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG (237.67 KiB) Viewed 521 times

IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG (144.51 KiB) Viewed 521 times

IMG_0589.JPG
IMG_0589.JPG (116.89 KiB) Viewed 521 times

IMG_0578.JPG
IMG_0578.JPG (53.2 KiB) Viewed 521 times

IMG_0586.JPG
IMG_0586.JPG (93.79 KiB) Viewed 521 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:20 pm

Nice. Nothing wrong with being comfortable when the "gales of November come early".
The only ground blind that I use is up against two big oaks on my land and it's been sitting there for 3 yrs. If it's raining, I'm dry. Deer I hunt from a ladder stand because of the visual advantage plus it keeps me above the one oz. slugs.
I've added the view from the ground blind and a pic of the ladder stand. All wood is treated and all hardware is galvanized. Used bolts whenever feasible and twist nail wherever required. Double ratchet straps hold it to the tree and the legs of the stand are connected to steel stakes in the ground. It's the third one that I have made over the last 5 yrs.
Attachments
DSCN1524.jpg
DSCN1524.jpg (108.38 KiB) Viewed 506 times
DSCN0909.jpg
DSCN0909.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 506 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:31 pm

Wouldn't you be money ahead with a $75 15 foot ladder stand. Not knocking your method if that is what you like. I have three of the ladder stands and can easily move them anywhere I want.
Doug

gatodoc

Postby gatodoc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Are ground blinds safe? That depends on the dumb a** using them. I put runners under mine so I could drag it onto my golf cart trailer to relocate easily. Last season I had it ratchet strapped to the trailer and hooked to the 4 wheeler. I'd just finished some last minute details inside and was backing out the door.

Tripped on the strap behind me and fell backwards 14" to the ground flat on my back. As I got up cussing myself I noticed the palm of my right hand was hurting. I'd slammed it into a protruding rock. I looked at it and it had a 3" long 1/2" deep gash.

Went to the ER. Got sewed up and back for the evening hunt from my safe 16' ladder stand.

I guess I can hurt myself in a padded room much less a ground blind.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:23 pm

I do own a double ladder stand and the mobility of it is nice, but I feel exposed. The one I built has you pretty much concealed from the shoulders down. Keeps the wind off of you and you can move around, pour a cup of coffee or root around in your pack without the movement being seen. Also, you can't fall out of it once you are in. (there is a removable section that goes in the front once you are in the box).
I have 5 of them set up in our woods which gives me mobility without having to move them.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:47 pm

OF...I have partial blinds as well...great for wind and stretching. Also ladderstands...As for money my blinds were very inexpensive ...scavenged wood..With my not getting any younger and the weather not getting better I will be building more enclosed blinds...found a cardboard manufacture not far away and bought 25 4x8 sheets of dbl cardboard...a gal of rubber roofing tinted light green and tinted rolled vinyl for Windows.I use 2x2 blind framing to save on wood . Also easier for me to handle alone.

MZS

Postby MZS » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:40 am

msbadger wrote:OF...I have partial blinds as well...great for wind and stretching. Also ladderstands...As for money my blinds were very inexpensive ...scavenged wood..With my not getting any younger and the weather not getting better I will be building more enclosed blinds...found a cardboard manufacture not far away and bought 25 4x8 sheets of dbl cardboard...a gal of rubber roofing tinted light green and tinted rolled vinyl for Windows.I use 2x2 blind framing to save on wood . Also easier for me to handle alone.

So you prime and paint the cardboard to keep the weather out? Or do you use the rubber roofing for this? And how do you fasten the cardboard? The cardboard sounds like a great way to save on money - the plywood/OSB costs can really add up.

I like your "blind" by the way. I wish my office "space" in my basement was as nice :)

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:17 am

Ohio farms wrote: you can't fall out of it once you are in

All my ladder stands have a shooting rail that keeps me from falling out. During bow season the shooting rail is removed and I use the safety harness. The double blind would be hard to move around ,,, mine are all single and I keep them to 50 # or less. What you say about concealment is true. I see now that they have camo skirting that you can put around the seat of the blind once you get it up. I suspect age will put me on the ground soon and I will go to the pop up hub blind. ;) Not getting any younger but still getting older :lol:
Doug

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:54 am

Let me start with the blind idea came to me while looking at a packing crate we used to move goats to market..free from work ...Pics will show build...all materials were recycled from a job and the tarps cost me 5-10 dollars at harbor frieght even the roof is cardboard sandwiched in tarp...remember 5yrs now and still good to go. One can get free cardboard from appliance stores the freezer refrig and stove or water heater boxes. Do so before any local proms or senior bashes..they use a lot of card board!
So I thought as you said how expensive wall material is...and then how well insulated the blind ended up being,but wanted an easier way to water proof the out side...research on water proofing cardboard brought me to the following link..

http://thecardboardboatbook.com/

Wow what a great idea! I know cardboard is very sturdy..even in the wooden blind the doors are card board that I covered in plastic shelf liner(self stick) and then camo painted, for outside..the inside I did nothing. Even in the moist weather and winter the cardboard is not effected...
So the new blinds will be framed..the cardboard attached with roofing nails the seams and window ledges duct taped(stapled as well) and then painted with the roofing paint. I will then camo that once dried. Now roofing paint is primarily used to water proof flat industrial or trailer roofs this will be on elevated vertical walls with overhangs(no standing water)...should last a very very long time...the original cardboard blind was strapped to the tractor bucket and I just pulled it into place then to secure in our very high winds nailed the tarp to the base frame and then added one bracket to each side...
I shot a doe Last fall and a turkey last spring and the previous 3 springs before, out of this blind...

IMG_1560.JPG
IMG_1560.JPG (222.44 KiB) Viewed 459 times

IMG_1573.JPG
IMG_1573.JPG (196.94 KiB) Viewed 459 times

IMG_1576.JPG
IMG_1576.JPG (256.74 KiB) Viewed 459 times
Last edited by msbadger on Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions