to leave scope on or off

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
crossbow

to leave scope on or off

Postby crossbow » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:50 pm

im new to hunting. my question is,in the off season, should I take the scope off my rifle,or leave it on?

gatodoc

Re: to leave scope on or off

Postby gatodoc » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:08 pm

I leave mine on and check the sighting during the summer,,,,Never been a problem...

1911p

Postby 1911p » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:28 pm

Mine stays on, and I'll re-zero it before I take it hunting.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:48 pm

ON! 24/7/365
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:46 am

Short answer: On.

I did know this guy who asked me one day about a laser boresighter. As I dug into what his needs were, it became obvious that he was taking the scope off the rifle after each trip to the range.

WHAAT???

Oh, that's the way you're SUPPOSED to do it. Din't you know?

It turns out he had been removing the whole shebang off the rifle after each trip to the range. I tried to get him to understand.

NOW! having said all that there ARE some mounts that allow removal. Leupold makes a mount and rings that work very well. I've tried it. It works. You can take the scope off the rifle and put it back on and it returns to zero. I have them on my 7600 in 35 Whelen. They work, but they came with the rifle, and I have not removed the scope except once to change it out.

I've seen other arrangements, but in general the scope stays on the rifle. There is just so much trouble to get everything sighted in just right that most folks don't want to risk throwing it off by monkeying with the scope afterwards.

BTW: I had a situation over the fall that kind of fits into this. Angus has been shooting KYHillChick's 30-06 for several years. It fits him well. This is one of Savage's package deals. Anyhow, middle of the afternoon's shoot, I noticed that the rings that had been installed at the factory had come loose. We bagged up the rifle, brought it back home to the bench, and I set about redoing it right with Locktite,etc. We brought it out the next weekend, and we were on the paper with the first shot. I thought that was pretty darn good work. Warning: the scope blew itself up after a year. Don't trust the Savage package rifles. The rifles are fantastic, but get a rifle and a scope and rings and such and do it right.

One other thought, and then I'll leave you. You know a lot of goofs go out to Walmart on the night before The Opener and get a rifle and get the scope mounted by the clerk, and think they're good to go. Right? Most of us "right thinking" folks make fun of these folks for being so ignorant and not taking the gun out to the range and doing proper sighting in. Truth is, if you take most properly bore-sighted rifles and take them up into a treestand and try to shoot a deer inside 50 yards, you're going to come home with venison.

However, if you are inexperienced enough to try this, you're probably not going to limit yourself to 50 yards, you're probably not using proper support for your shots , and you get all worked up before you try to shoot off-hand, so the net of it all is rather chaotic and having a rifle that has only been bore-sighted adds a marginal amount of uncertainty to an otherwise random flinging of metal at a now-desperately fleeing target.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:29 am

I've never, ever heard of anyone removing a scope from a rifle, unless they were updating and replacing it. My question is WHY would anyone do such a thing???????
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:15 am

I have a removable scope for my muzzleloader. Makes it much easier to clean the barrel with the scope off when using water. Works great. Other than for that reason, I would not remove a scope.
Attachments
49042_00465.jpg
49042_00465.jpg (7.11 KiB) Viewed 631 times
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

1911p

Postby 1911p » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:50 am

rthomas4 wrote:I've never, ever heard of anyone removing a scope from a rifle, unless they were updating and replacing it. My question is WHY would anyone do such a thing???????

They're not as smart as you and me?

1911p

Postby 1911p » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:57 am

Ohio farms wrote:I have a removable scope for my muzzleloader. Makes it much easier to clean the barrel with the scope off when using water. Works great. Other than for that reason, I would not remove a scope.

I've got the same setup on my 983T. But I can't see any reason to remove the scope from a 1/2 MOA rifle, same for the BiPod, even though it'd make it easier to store and carry. I've never even tested the mounts to see if they hold zero.

Something about disturbing a finely tuned rifle seems wrong.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:10 am

"Something about disturbing a finely tuned rifle seems wrong."

I couldn't agree more. Even when the season is over, I clean all of mine and put 'em back in the gun cabinet. Then about a month or so before the new season, I go check to make sure they are still zeroed in, and without fail, I never have to make any adjustments.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Next

Return to General Discussions