How to hold deer while staying at the hotel?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
kroazn

How to hold deer while staying at the hotel?

Postby kroazn » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Hi
I am new to the forum and have this question that I couldn't find the answer to. I am going down to Buckingham, Virginia for their late season deer hunting in few days. I am staying at a hotel for the trip (Employee Discount, can't beat the price) and I am not sure how to keep the deer while staying at the hotel for one or more days. My only option as of now is just keep the deer wrapped with a tarp to allow air flow on the back of the car on a hitch carrier. The weather is looking like Hi 47 Low 23 for the first night and Hi 42 Low 26 for the second night. Do you guys have any tips I can use for this trip? Thank you so much for the help.

Retranger

Re: How to hold deer while staying at the hotel?

Postby Retranger » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:59 am

I don't think I would wrap it. Them temps you mention should be fine. Park you vehicle in the shade. If you have harvested your deer why not head home? Maybe the hotel has a tree or something where you could hang it up. Good Luck
Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:24 am

I'd get a choke chain around the deer's neck and one of them heavy duty dog chains and tie it off to a post or picnic table or something. Tying it off to a bumper carrier-- you're begging to have that deer picked off in the parking lot. Just make sure you put up signs to keep folks away. Them antlers can hurt!
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Could you not make a deal with a local processor to hold the deer until you are ready to pull out?

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:01 am

. . . and whatever you do, don't bring it in the room with you. You come back from hunting the next day and you'll have the maid cowering in the corner with a pillow, trying to keep the buck from goring her. The room will be all torn up, and the deer will have gotten into the courtesy bar and eaten all the macadamia nuts. Those nuts are expensive!

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:49 am

If you do find you have to take one into your room, make sure you get a room on the first floor, preferably with an entrance to the outside. You don't want to be walking the halls of a busy motel with a live buck. Especially don't try to take one on the stairs, or worse yet, the elevator.

Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a motel on Rt 27 near Stearns Kentucky that won't let me stay there no more.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:27 am

. . . And I had nothing to do with what happened at the Whitley City Motel. That was a kitchen fire. I've been saying that for over 10 years now. I don't know what you've read on the Web.

And yes, while we're at it I HAVE stayed at the Inn at Cumberland falls, but never during Deer Season. That was some other guy in the papers.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:28 am

. . . And I had nothing to do with what happened at the Whitley City Motel. That was a kitchen fire. I've been saying that for over 10 years now. I don't know what you've read on the Web.

And yes, while we're at it I HAVE stayed at the Inn at Cumberland falls, but never during Deer Season. That was some other guy in the papers.

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:47 am

shaman did you ever use the alias "Jones" http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/25/motel_6_midget/

MZS

Postby MZS » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:20 am

shaman wrote:If you do find you have to take one into your room, make sure you get a room on the first floor, preferably with an entrance to the outside. You don't want to be walking the halls of a busy motel with a live buck. Especially don't try to take one on the stairs, or worse yet, the elevator.

Don't ask me how I know this, but there is a motel on Rt 27 near Stearns Kentucky that won't let me stay there no more.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I knew it! You ARE a stand-up.

Next

Return to General Discussions