What would you do

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
ripper7

What would you do

Postby ripper7 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Here area the facts
-A friend had generously allowed me the opportunity to hunt his property yet again. I was very grateful and was going to take full advantage of it and planned a morning and evening hunt.
-My friend made a request of me. He said I could shoot does ,spikes, 4pts and even a 6 pt but the 8 pt deer were off limits. Since I was his guest I felt the terms were fair and just.

Here is of the story
Around 4:30 I heard a branch break to my left and glanced in that direction to my dismay I saw the largest deer I ever had a personal encounter with only 20 yards away! It was a buck with a large rack. With racing heart I took stock of the situation. This huge deer was unhurriedly browsing some shrubs to the left across the road. He would pause and look directly at me. I sat stock still. Apparently he could not smell me and my camouflage gear and masked face made me invisible . When he put his head down I slowly raised rifle and shifted it for a left side shot. At 4x power the deer filled the scope. It was an easy shot. I tried to count points but could not determine if it was an eight point or a 10 point. With great reluctance I backed off the trigger and followed the deer through the scope. The monster deer continued to slowly browse his way out of view. With a heavy heart I put down the rifle and reviewed the last few moments in my head. In the midst of this contemplation I saw some movement in the woods were I last saw the behemoth disappear. I squinted through the scope and to my shock and wonder this large deer was wandering its way back to me. It 's current travel would take it to my right about 25 yards away. It was with great difficulty that I passed on this deer when I originally saw it. I was getting a bit irritated that this deer seemed to be flaunting its special status.

At this point what would you do?

shaman

Re: What would you do

Postby shaman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:27 pm

You got a couple of choices here.

1) Hold off, save the memory and the friend.
2) Ace the deer, forget hunting there again. Forget the friendship.

I know a lot of guys who would pick #2. Me? I have a hard time making friends and an a harder time finding ones that would let me hunt their property. I value every one of them.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:41 pm

Don't shoot.... You will regret it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:43 pm

Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

ripper7

Postby ripper7 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Here is the rest of the story
I thought to my self "well that was a bit of excitement". With renewed vigilance I monitored the area around me. If that king of the forest was moving about there were certainly lesser deer moving about that were not off limits. While swivel necking around I notice some movement to my rear and was astonished to see that same deer jaunting causally through the woods. This deer was like the mosquito that would not go away and continually flies in your face. It was with some annoyance that I turned around and shifted my gaze to other areas. In my hast to turn my movement may have alerted him and he started to make great bounding leaps and disappeared out of site uttering several loud snorts to alert all the deer in the woods that danger was present . I looked at my watch it was 4:45. For some strange reason I felt invigorated with hope that good things were going to happen.
Now with certainty I knew the giant colossal ,buck of a lifetime, king of the forest was out of the picture I felt other deer would be on the move. It was only about 5-10 minutes later that I saw to my distant right a large doe bound across the road bed in two leaps. I quickly raised my rifle to the ready. At this time of season I knew that the does herded up and if there was one doe there would be others. To be sure another doe began to cross the road . I rested my sights on it . I peered through my rifle scope and located the deer . It was a doe. I was reluctant to quickly shoot since it appeared a bit small. The pause for this internal debate allowed the doe the fractions of a second to finish its walk across the road unscathed. No sooner had the second doe crossed the logging road it was replaced by a larger doe. In attempt to slow its crossing I made a loud bleet. The doe paused . It was a long shot so I placed the cross hairs high on the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The rifle cracked and the doe mule kicked . I thought the deer would leap across the road for safety. In stead the doe continued to kick and buck but it remained on the road. It was a solid hit and that deer could not, would not , did not get off the road.

After the laborious task of hauling the doe out. I took the doe to the processor. When he was cutting the deer up it became apparent that my aim was true and the bullet passed through both shoulders. On the way out of the woods I paced out the distance and it was about a 148 yds my farthest shot to date.

p.s While passing on the buck was a heart break, getting the doe was very sweet. I believe it was a reward from God for doing the right thing.

MZS

Postby MZS » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Sounds like something that happened to me. Was out after a deer for my antlerless tag since I already filled my buck tag with a decent 8pt 3 weeks earlier with a bow. A 6 pt shows up and then the biggest buck of my life shows up offering me shot after shot. In my well-brushed in blind I was invisible and had to yell just to get them to leave! Then I nicked the side of the blind when a doe showed up so my arrow went in a tree. To add insult to injury, one more spike shows up and walks to within 8 ft of me (in full view) and I scare it away. Then, when I am wrapping up, the spike shows up again! That is how it goes sometimes! :lol:

You did the right thing - if someone is gracious enough to allow you to hunt, you shoot what they specify. If someone allows me to hunt on their land, I will always ask what they want me to shoot (or not shoot).

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:22 am

You certainly made the right call. Hunting land is hard to come by often times, and a good friend is certainly worth way more than a good rack. :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

stevenjackson

Postby stevenjackson » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:24 am

dont do it lol

FlDeerman64

Postby FlDeerman64 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:19 am

I think you did the right thing.He gave you specific instructions and you followed them.I would tell him what you saw so he knows you will follow his instructions and hopefully he'll invite you back.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:25 am

I certainly would have let the deer pass.
And I would have actively been texting and sending the pal pics of his monster.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Next

Return to General Discussions