ATW Drone Flight Video Test

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingswhitetail

ATW Drone Flight Video Test

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:24 pm

My dad brought his quadcopter over yesterday and we took some video from above. Click on the link to see the latest blog outlining what we learned and see the YouTube link of the 9 minute video. Please be patient as we hoovered for a while as we walked into a better position to see and control the unit.

If anyone else has done this yet, please post your take on this as a useful tool.

Thanks,

Andy

http://www.allthingswhitetail.com/atw-blog.html

MZS

Re: ATW Drone Flight Video Test

Postby MZS » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:09 pm

Wow, I am sure this will generate some discussion!

We have gone from analyzing deer poop and tracks to motion-activated cams, to video-cams, to drones! Have to wonder if any states will move to outlaw these, as they could be used to scout neighboring posted land.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Why not? They are already being used by Bambie thumpers to destroy legal hunts on private lands, why not add aerial herding as well. Maybe add cap guns, and run everything off your neighbor's land?;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:33 pm

It might be stretching limits of our sport, but it certainly was interesting to watch. I'd like to have an aerial view of my woods though.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:43 pm

Want an aerial view of your property ,,,,, go to bing.com/maps. click the birds eye view and zoom in and you can rotate 360 degrees.
Doug

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:17 pm

Yeah, I could see some using these things for messing up neighbor hunts. Heck, what's another few hundred dollars or even a few thousand dollars to some guys where the sky is the limit when spending for hunting.

Any drone I see flying over my property will be greeted by a lot of bird shot.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:18 pm

I don't know what to tell you guys, but drones over my property scare me. In fear for my life I would, of course, defend myself by blowing it out of the sky. Being the minimum force nesisary to stop a potential threat, that should be ruled self defense, don't you think...;)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:10 pm

I agree with you in that I'd shoot any drone over my property. However, I think this is just a step above the satellite photos for helping study a piece of property. Herding deer with it....not something I would do. Others on this site have dubbed me a "bow snob". I don't believe I am the like as I would not use this in any manner to drive deer to my stand. This would detract from the bow hunt.

Although I would use this as used yesterday.....to see my property more clearly from above and understand what additional habitat improvements should be worked on. Using it to scout for deer is similar to trail cameras. The difference is that it is a mobile scouting camera from above. I would shoot a drone over my property just as I would remove or destroy a trail camera that another has placed upon my property, or remove a tree stand, or have a physical trespasser arrested.

As we think about how this could be detrimental to our deer hunting, I would urge you to think about how it could also be beneficial. Think about how you could view a potential property to lease or purchase before taking the leap. Think about viewing your habitat improvements and where you should work more. Think about quickly looking for EHD dead deer without disturbing your herd.

This is technology. For those of you shooting a bow faster than 300 fps, think about the first compound you had with 50% let off. For those of you shooting AR-15s to kill coyotes with a night time scope and sub sonic bullets, think about the rifle or shotgun your grandfather gave to you. I have a .410 three shot semi-auto that my grandfather used to shoot game every day just to eat. It is in my gun cabinet right now.

As with anything else in this world, if it is used illegally or to trespass against others privacy, it is the individual doing so. Just like guns don't kill people....people kill people. Drones don't hover over another persons property unless the person running the remote control tells it to do so.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:00 am

I understand, it is a tool. And how a tool is used, defines it.
I use and carry lock-picks as part of my job. They are perfectly legal, as long as they are used in a legal manner. They are NOT " burglar tools" unless they are used in that manner. They are a tool, nothing more.
The problem I see, is our laws have not kept up with our tech, and as long as there is no law against it, it is legal. (No, I don't want more laws, most of our new "Laws", don't fall in line with " the land of the free, and home of the brave" now.)

And as long as it is "legal" to harass, destroy, invade, and snoop, in a manner that would get you shot, buried, or jailed on foot, but by air is some sort of " journalism", I will oppose them.
Not because I find them useless for good purposes, but because so far they have been mostly used for bad purposes. There has been a GREAT deal of abuse, so far, even by law enforcement, using drones to spy where they could not get a warrent. (Having the ability, does not convey the Rightt, yet the law does not forbid)
Since it is only a tool, yet a tool that has been used for much damage, I fill continue to oppose them. And as the tool most utilized by those groups that spend their lives making our's hell and doing their best to destroy our hunting legacy and heritage, I would not oppose their being banned entirely.
I fully believe, that immoral, and illegal drone usage will lead to killings. Some by angry fathers of young daughters, some by law enforcement, as homeowners defend themselves from illegal warrantless searches. A man's home is his castle, and in the time of castles, spies were put to death without ceremony.
A drone is only a tool, but so is a gun. Point it in the wrong direction, and there will be consequences.

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:46 am

I've actually thought through this. The last time I looked at an affordable drone, the technology was not there yet to make it an effective hunting tool. For what I'd need, I would need

1) about a 2 mile range( 1 mile round-trip) on a pre-set path
2) low light video
3) Enough intelligence to avoid obstacles
. . . it's coming, but it is not there yet, at least not in an affordable package.

But then again, why? Let's say a unit comes on the market that does all that for $500. I send it up every day to scout. I get intel on the turkeys and deer. Now what? I'm 55. The last thing I need is something that keeps me in a chair. I see The Big One out in the pasture. I grab my gun and run out and shoot him. Now what? Now I have a big dead deer to clean. Slam Bang Done. Buck tag burned. I don't own an ATV, because I want to keep my heart healthy, what do I need with a drone?

I still haven't forgotten the $29 remote control airplane I got for Lil Angus. It spent less than 2 minutes in the air before a wind caught and sent it into the trees. It stayed up there for a year and then finally came down. It's still in pieces in the back room at deer camp. I just can't bring myself to throw it out. Imagine that with a $500 drone.

Before I even get to the Fair Chase issue of unfair advantage, anything I felt would be trumped by Kentucky's law prohibiting electronic devices. I could be wrong, but a state that disallows electronic deer calls and remote-control turkey decoys probably is going to take a dim view of drones.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to General Discussions