healthy deer in Iowa

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
luvhuntin

healthy deer in Iowa

Postby luvhuntin » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:32 pm

I went on a late season rifle trip last weekend and finally had a deer I wanted to take in range. here is a pic of the fat off the top of one of her hindquarters. If i were to guess an age I would say 2 1/2 or 3 yr old. This deer had more fat stored up than any deer I have seen so hopefully this is a good sign. The area we were hunting was southwest Iowa which has way more ag land and is pretty sparse for timber. they even still clear creeks and valleys of timber we saw a lot of freshly bulldozed timber piles while driving from farm to farm. But there was enough of something to keep a herd of 100 plus in one soybean field 5 minutes before legal time was up.

One deer does not make a trend I know but I`m HOPING.

Hopefully there will be a way for Iowans to use there rifle for hunting next year but i doubt it. you could only use a rifle for January antlerless season and only in the bottom two tiers of counties so I will have to find something else to hunt if I want to take it out.
Attachments
foot pic.jpg
foot pic.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 180 times
fat doe.jpg
fat doe.jpg (545.68 KiB) Viewed 180 times

rthomas4

Re: healthy deer in Iowa

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:08 am

That looks like the last 3 I killed down here in SC near the end of our season. At the beginning of the season all of our deer were on the lean side due to all of the late summer and early fall rains that drowned or washed away the food plots and agricultural fields. Strangely, we lost our entire pecan crop this year; but the acorns were some of the largest and heaviest I've seen in years. Also, the food plots that had to be replanted were hit hard along with the corn piles and sweet feed that was put out as attractants, so I guess the fat deer was evidence of where all of that went.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions