Too many deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Too many deer

Postby Sierra » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:59 am

I found this today and my interest was piqued.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/01/ ... effective/

To cut to the chase, I will use my own Mom as an example. She lives in a guarded and gated country-club community in Florida on an island. (Yes, she has it rough). Anyway. To the best of my knowledge, there is no hunting, as where she lives is predominated by a golf course. There are abundant deer, and when I drive through to her house, they will just stand in the road, or in people's yards, browsing and otherwise showing why instinct alone saves them. They eat my mom's plants, and pose a threat to those driving there and in surrounding areas. My solution would be a controlled hunt. But these otherwise meat-eating people would be appalled. These are the type of people that shudder at the thought of killing an animal, as they eat their veal.

What, then, is the solution? Thousands of dollars on "fixing" the does? I find this whole thing ridiculous. I might add that when I sit on mom's porch and the deer arrive, I am always mentally calculating a shot. :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

shaman

Re: Too many deer

Postby shaman » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:19 pm

There was a cover story in Time a short time ago that was talking about the menace of deer,etc. It looks like the left-wing media has decided it is okay to kill Bambi. Duh!

I live on the north side of Cincinnati and there are more deer in my suburban neighborhood than at the farm. We had a 16 pointer hanging out up the street all through season chasing does back and forth across the road. There's a herd that comes through quite regularly with a large portion of them piebald, including as 12 point piebald buck.

2012? I went buckless at the farm, but my neighbor managed to get a 10 pointer. He caught his rack her close-line and broke his neck. I came over and gutted it for her.

Last summer, I was coming home on around sundown on a muggy summer evening. I went down to the mailbox, and there was a herd of them over across the street. My latest issue of D&DH had just arrived. I shook it at them menacingly, and they hardly noticed. A few days later, they were at the living room window munching on KYHillChick's Hostis plants. The A/C unit, just a few feet away, kicked on and they did not so much as flinch. The other day, I came home and there were two doe eating at our front door. I let the dogs out, they ran out, climbed in the truck and missed the deer completely. The deer got jittery and only then did they all realize there was nothing but the side of the truck between them. The dogs acted like it was nothing special, and the deer just sauntered off. The other day, I found a fresh late season rub on the hemlock next to my bedroom window. Some day, I swear I'm going to come home and have a buck sipping my scotch out on the back porch.

The best? One morning my dad (lived over on the next street) woke up and found a big 12 pointer staring at him through the bedroom window. Dad waved his arms and the buck walked over to the neighbors. It was Christmas time, and the neighbors had their christmas lights up. The buck raked his antlers over the bushes and caught a string in his tines. He panicked and went running up the road. For a brief time, the extension cord held so the buck had a lighted string on his rack.

A number of years ago I was at a neighbor's cocktail party and everyone was carping about the deer. I was the resident expert so they asked me what to do. I knew the hostess, and she'd grown up down near Chatanooga. Down there, everyone gets involved with The Opener. The town square has a big picnic, and around noon all the hunters come in and make a party of it. I suggest we all do the same, except we all go after them in a big drive armed with baseball bats-- one day a year, every man woman and child-- and by noon the problem would be solved. The hostess was laughing so hard she nearly split something, as the rest reacted in disgust like I was some sort of troglodyte (which I am). There was one creepy Ophthalmological Surgeon though that likes to operate on his own kids. He took me serious and thought the idea was cool. I think his wife made him leave early.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:47 pm

Just tell 'em that the deer are Tea Party members......they'll want them annihilated.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

MZS

Postby MZS » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:40 pm

The solution that many cities embrace are archery hunts in the city limits in specified area. Many cities do this. And the city can even make a few bucks on the tags.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:27 am

MZS wrote:The solution that many cities embrace are archery hunts in the city limits in specified area. Many cities do this. And the city can even make a few bucks on the tags.

Many communities have had success with this approach
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 am

This past year myself and a partner were involved in a lottery drawing to thin out a deer heard in one of NE ohio Metro parks. If you were drawn you had to attend a 2 hour meeting to go over the rules along with demonstrating you proficiency with a archery equipment. We had drawn the first two weeks in November. We were assigned a 20 acre wooded area with a road on one border and a deep ravine on the opposite side. The area had never been hunted until this year and it was primarily an area used for hiking. Very thick secondary growth with a electrical line right of way running through the middle of it. They placed an automatic feeder in your area, but you could hunt anywhere within your 20 acres. They did allow you to use your own tree stand.
THE CATCH was that you had to shoot a doe first before you could shoot a buck. The area also had a herd of Sika deer that had escaped years ago from a nearby exotic deer farm. Since they are not indigenous to the state of Ohio, you could shoot as many as you wanted. Twice a group of a dozen or so came within 50 yds of me, but no shot was presented. I did get to hear that distress call and it sounded like a cross between an elk and a hawk...Startled the hell out of me. It did not take the deer long to figure out that they were being hunted. If I ever get another chance I would hunt away from the feeder. We had snow most of the time and you could see that the tracts were made the night before mostly.
Opening morning THE CATCH got me. A really huge 8 pt came within 15 yds of me and hung around for 20 minutes or so, but since I had not shot a doe yet all I could do was watch him, which, by the way was really exciting. Later that afternoon I did get a mature doe. I was able during the next week to rattle that buck back to me, but he never got close enough for a shot. The nice part was that the place was 15 min from my house.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

smitty0220

Postby smitty0220 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:49 am

Please make sure you do whatever you can to help the situation before the state decides what to do. At present, here in Rhode Island, we have a township called Block Island. Let's just say that most of the property is owned by folks who go there for the summer. The rest of the year the place is like a ghost town. There are year-round residents. Any way, long story short - the islanders have fought against any kind of state control/management over the years. Well, you can guess what has happened. The herd is out of control and without much public land, there are few options. They are planning a "controlled" cull.

Now personally, I feel that the state failed to properly address the deer management for the island. The second issue is that the state had to pass a number of new laws so that this "cull" could take place. The use of rifles, hunting over bait and hunting at night are the major ones! They only apply to the cull at this point. The third issue is the cost....they estimate that 200 deer need to be removed this year alone and the cost is $635.00 per deer! This cost DOES include the butchering and packaging of the meat (which is to be donated to homeless shelters). The donation of the meat is the only thing I approve of out of this entire situation. The only other thing I approve of is that the cost is being paid by the residents of the township (of course it is next to impossible to confirm that information).

I make mention of this with the intention of letting others know that this "process" is in play and will most likely be used in other places unless we, the hunting community, can figure out a better way to help control the deer population in urban areas. I know there are urban hunting groups, but I know very little about them or their programs.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding this situation. I doubt that this slaughter can be prevented, but I want to make an attempt to prevent it from happening in other areas of this state or in any other state, that are in a similar situation.

Thanks
Smitty

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:58 pm

I doubt that this slaughter can be prevented, but I want to make an attempt to prevent it from happening in other areas of this state or in any other state, that are in a similar situation.

Thanks
Smitty[/quote]

I'm not clear on exactly what "slaughter" you are referring to.

smitty0220

Postby smitty0220 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:22 am

I'm sorry, but I do not see where baiting and shooting deer at night with rifles and spotlights (which for hunters in this state is illegal) would be considered hunting. Therefore I used the term slaughter. As a hunter, I find this practice distasteful and am searching for another solution.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:54 am

While I agree with what you are saying about the method of using sharpshooters to reduce deer herds in restricted areas, it remains the most effective way to reduce over population, though extremely expensive. It certainly is not hunting as we know it, but it was never really advertised as such. Slaughter may be a bit strong of a word, but it most certainly is not hunting....I agree. Ohio, whenever possible uses a lottery system to allow hunters access to areas that normally do not allow hunting in trying to reduce deer populations. Many cities still hire sharpshooter though. The problem is that hunters following the rules of fair chase do an ineffective job. Even with baiting (legal in Ohio) the deer become educated quickly becoming mostly nocturnal. That's why sharpshooters hunt at night...it is effective and I understand that. I'll give Ohio credit for using hunters on state land.
When Ohio first started the lottery system to allow hunters to reduce urban deer, they had not required a doe to be shot first before a buck could be shot and the results were ineffective. Hunters were missing the whole point. It's complicated. My .02 cents

Next

Return to General Discussions