Too many deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sierra

Re: Too many deer

Postby Sierra » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:09 am

I was going to put in for a lottery drawing for an all-women's hunt in a metro park in Ohio, but I forgot until after the cutoff to apply. Naturally. ;-) I will apply for it this year. that is a park, however, and I view it as safe enough to close the park and permit only a certain number of hunters in to deal with the overpopulation.

I still don't have a solution in mind for a neighborhood, however. I guess it would depend on a lot of factors, not the least of which is where the deer actually bed down. The deer in Mom's neighborhood hang their hats in the adjoining marsh, which is part of the intercoastal. Not friendly turf for a hunter, and due to its narrowness, if they ever permitted hunting, it would be bow only I am certain.

I think I WILL spread word of the 4-legged tea party members. ;-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:49 pm

Considering that I live in a state and a game zone that allows baiting, I find it offensive that the term slaughter was used in a previous post. I am appalled; however, any time sharp shooters (usually state paid snipers) are allowed to shine and kill deer when many licensed hunters would happily provide the service free of charge. Hilton Head is one of the areas similar to the one described by Sierra, and as a former resident of Fernandina Beach, I've seen the same attitudes towards hunters displayed at Amelia Island Plantation and Summer Beach; either of which could very well be where Sierra's mother lives. I'm not an archery hunter, but I certainly agree that those hunters should be allowed to kill the deer instead of paying for the exterminations. What makes a high priced residential area any better than agricultural areas where predation permits are issued and the farmers are allowed to shoot the deer at night with spot lights? Most of the farmers in this area, simply invite local hunters to come out and take part when those type of DNR sanctioned predation hunts are allowed. All of the deer killed, used to be required to be left where they dropped; but finally the SC DNR realized the waste and now allow the deer to be picked up and the meat donated to orphanages and homeless shelters.........even the prisons and county jails.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:08 pm

rthomas4 wrote:.even the prisons and county jails.

Lucky prisoners :roll: :roll:
Doug

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:54 pm

Sierra, not sure if you have heard about Plumbrook and Ravenna control hunts. It's a lottery system that takes place in the summer. If you are interested in applying let me know and I'll give you a heads up when it's time to put in an application. It's done on line for $3. It can be really exciting.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:56 pm

sorry...clicked twice
Last edited by Ohio farms on Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellory

Postby kellory » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:35 pm

Ohio, I would like a heads up on that as well, if you don't mind.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:01 pm

You're on the list Kellory.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:47 am

Will always be the same conflict. Those who like deer and those who consider them,"Brown Rats",. I have lived in two states, and both have taken the position that the deer have to go. Insurance companies,Farm Bureau's, all have the big B-$'s to get them heard. I grow gardens and fruit, and trees, and have to protect them, but I still like the deer around, and have never seen too many in areas I have lived.

smitty0220

Postby smitty0220 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:40 am

Ohio - Thanks for your insight. I guess I just needed to vent. While I understand that there may be a need, I find it disheartening none the less.

To those who hunt over bait (and were "offended") - we do not have that option in this state. The post did not state that hunting over bait was the problem. In the context of the original post, killing 200+ deer, using rifles (that are normally illegal here), and hunting over bail (which is illegal here) and using spotlight (which is illegal) in MY opinion is slaughter. I suppose I could have used the word bloodbath, butchery, carnage, massacre or eradication.

I was looking for suggestions with this issue, not trying to "offend" anyone.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:11 am

How about simply calling it hunting, since that's what it is. You can't base an opinion on ethics totally on what happens to be legal or illegal in your state. Whatever is legal in the state one is hunting in is both ethical and is still hunting! It's not a bloodbath, carnage, extermination or slaughter if it's legal; and to condemn practices you personally don't agree with or have the option of utilizing is only providing a point of contention that anti-hunters can use to point fingers and become accusatory towards all hunting.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions