Too many deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ohio farms

Re: Too many deer

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:30 am

I think that a lot of it has to do with your perception of a particular way of hunting. While baiting is legal in Ohio, which I do at times, running with dogs is not. I'm not a big fan of using dogs, but I'll bet if it had always been legal in Ohio I would probably own some dogs. Same thing with the use of buckshot. We us slugs here. There are good reasons for the use of both.
My point is that it's all hunting and we are all hunters using different methods trying to accomplish the same thing. We need each other's support.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:21 am

Ohio, my point, precisely!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:33 am

..and a good point it is Rthomas.

convict charlie

Postby convict charlie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:56 pm

Depending the part of Florida if it's really down south may be key deer I believe they're called. I've never been to Florida in my life. My friend who has a place in key west told me about them. They are protected animals. Would maybe be 30-40lbs. Even if you hit them with your vehicle you can get fined a few thousand dollars. Assumed to be your fault.

We have a few areas here outside of Niagara Falls where I'm from that have the problem you mention. Take the option of letting the local police force hunt them. Which may or may not be a good idea. We have a cop who hunts regularly with us. He can't hit the deer very well. Think he gets really nervous.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

The keys deer are not protected, nor are they that small. A big 8 point might go 100-110 lbs, and the does usually average around 70 lbs. The only protected deer in Florida are in state and Federal preserves where there is no hunting at all, and I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed or fined for hitting a deer with a vehicle in the state of Florida. BTW, even the doe that was cut out of the python killed in the everglades was 70 lbs.

There is a line across the state, and most of the deer below that line are somewhat smaller than those above the line. But this follows the same pattern as deer in the nation as a whole. As with most game animals, the farther North, the larger the body sizes. And there is also a correlation between habitat, so deer that live in salt marsh areas tend to be somewhat smaller than those that live on the mainland; this can be attributed to nutritional sources available more than actual geographic location.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:33 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Sierra, not sure if you have heard about Plumbrook and Ravenna control hunts. It's a lottery system that takes place in the summer. If you are interested in applying let me know and I'll give you a heads up when it's time to put in an application. It's done on line for $3. It can be really exciting.

I would love to apply :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:37 pm

rthomas4 wrote:The keys deer are not protected, nor are they that small. A big 8 point might go 100-110 lbs, and the does usually average around 70 lbs. The only protected deer in Florida are in state and Federal preserves where there is no hunting at all, and I've never heard of anyone getting ticketed or fined for hitting a deer with a vehicle in the state of Florida. BTW, even the doe that was cut out of the python killed in the everglades was 70 lbs.

There is a line across the state, and most of the deer below that line are somewhat smaller than those above the line. But this follows the same pattern as deer in the nation as a whole. As with most game animals, the farther North, the larger the body sizes. And there is also a correlation between habitat, so deer that live in salt marsh areas tend to be somewhat smaller than those that live on the mainland; this can be attributed to nutritional sources available more than actual geographic location.

Actually, they are protected. Check this out below. We were recently heading through the keys and there are signs all over the place. I don't think you get a ticket for hitting one, but they sure want you to try to avoid it! We saw several of them driving through, and one dead on the roadside.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_deer
http://www.fws.gov/nationalkeydeer/

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:37 pm

http://www.fws.gov/nationalkeydeer/ The National Key Deer Refuge was established in 1957 to protect and preserve Key deer and other wildlife resources in the Florida Keys. The refuge is located in the lower Florida Keys and currently consists of approximately 9,200 acres of land that includes pine rockland forests, tropical hardwood hammocks, freshwater wetlands, salt marsh wetlands, and mangrove forests. These natural communities are critical habitat for hundreds of endemic and migratory species including 17 federally-listed species such as Key deer, lower Keys marsh rabbit, and silver rice rat.

Sierra, this is one of those Federal preserves that I mentioned. The subspecies of South Florida white tails are generally called Keys Deer, even when located above the actual island chain and the Everglades. Many people have the idea that all of the deer in Florida are smaller than normal white tails; but it's only the extreme Southern populations from Miami Southward that are actually considered to be the subspecies. Like I stated the deer on those preserves are protected, but if they are on private property or areas open to hunting, they aren't protected. Many of the areas around Lake Okeechobee have exotics, hogs, and what are generally called Keys Deer, and the many guide services in the area specialize in providing hunting services for those deer, as well as Fallow deer, Sitka and there is one particular area where the Pere David species can be hunted.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:02 pm

Sierra, I'll give you a heads up when the time comes to apply for the hunts. I think it is sometime during the summer.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:27 pm

Ohio farms wrote:Sierra, I'll give you a heads up when the time comes to apply for the hunts. I think it is sometime during the summer.

You're the man. :-) Thanks!

Previous

Return to General Discussions