January Fruit.....Home Grown!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
allthingswhitetail

January Fruit.....Home Grown!

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:27 pm

I was pleasantly surprised last week to find more persimmon trees on the property. The biggest surprise was the amount of fruit the trees were still dropping. See the link below for the blog with video and pictures.

I am hearing that this is unusual for trees to hold their fruit this late into the winter. Please comment if you are seeing the same this year.

Thanks,

Andy

http://www.allthingswhitetail.com/atw-blog.html

luvhuntin

Re: January Fruit.....Home Grown!

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:19 am

AH HA! now you know where at least some of your does went. you mentioned that you parked the truck near these trees, if that is you normal parking spot during season they had the upper hand all season.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:54 am

Since there are several varieties of Persimmon trees, along with various cross breeds, it's not uncommon for them to hold and drop fruit at different times of the year. Many people actually plant the different varieties in the same grove in order to keep the fruit over a longer period of time.

Then you have to consider the weather conditions and how the growing season may have been affected prior to all of the cold weather hitting your area.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:42 pm

luvhuntin wrote:AH HA! now you know where at least some of your does went. you mentioned that you parked the truck near these trees, if that is you normal parking spot during season they had the upper hand all season.

Jim and I walked the property yesterday. We found several doe bedding areas. I thought the deer had moved elsewhere and that the numbers had dropped greatly. I think the numbers are still down, but we learned that the deer have decided it is easier to forage on the woody browse, briars, honeysuckle, and other items in the woods instead of digging through the snow for clover.

You are right.....they typically have the upper hand.

Return to General Discussions