Ohio hunter fatality

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ohio farms

Ohio hunter fatality

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:54 pm

A hunter called his wife from his trees stand and said, "Call Dad. Get a ladder" He was found dead 18 ft. up in his tree stand. His jacket was off, his bib overalls were down, and his shirt was up. He had been shot in his aorta. A few days after the incident a letter was received by the local sheriff which read, "I am sorry for the hurt and pain that I caused on that day. Can you please tell the family I am so sorry."
The hunter was a U.S Marine who served in Desert Storm/Shield and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
What a horrible day that must have been for everyone involved. I'm guessing that the shooter may turn himself in one day.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MZS

Re: Ohio hunter fatality

Postby MZS » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:01 pm

Here is more to the story: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories ... ology.html
Sounds like it may have been a freak accident - shooting at a deer on a hill top? Then again, blaze orange is required in Ohio. Was just before 8:30AM, with good light. The note looks like something a teen or young adult would write. Nobody over the age 30 uses "u" instead of "you" except perhaps for texting. Maybe the note is some anti-hunter sick prank.

Ohio farms

Re: Ohio hunter fatality

Postby Ohio farms » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:53 pm

I hope it's not a prank. I agree that the use of the letter "u" might suggest a younger person. Gallia county is in the southernmost tip of Ohio and I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of hills down there too. Very sad.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Return to General Discussions