looking to lease land

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
danh228

looking to lease land

Postby danh228 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm looking to lease a farm in central Ohio and was looking for advice on what my best bet is to score a decent farm. I've been looking on Basecamp leasing and posted some ads on craigslist but haven't had much luck. Any tips?

danh228

Re: looking to lease land

Postby danh228 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 pm

Man!!! Guess either no one has advice or their aren't very many friendly people on this site

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:57 pm

I don't think that we are unfriendly. You are asking a rather specific question, though. I don't think that there really are that many people from Ohio in the Forum, though there are a few. I am, but I live in NE Ohio and don't have much help to offer about central Ohio and leasing specifically. I do know that Richland County is a very good central Ohio area to check out. Good luck.
I'd also point out that there is not a lot going on here at this time of year.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

danh228

Postby danh228 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Ohio farms, thanks for the response and advice. It was wrong of me to imply people on here are not friendly. I'm new to the site and saw everyone else getting responses and I was getting none so I made an assumptio that probably isn't true. Hopefully look forward to talking with other hunters!!

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:31 am

I found a spot years ago over in Hocking Hills, but the old farmer died and the last time I drove past, I would not have recognized it. I'm from SW Ohio, but do all my hunting in NE Kentucky. What I can tell you is two basic things:

1) Ohio is great for for bow hunting. Kentucky is superior for rifle hunting. It's a combination of the way the seasons are set up and the methods allowed. If you are gun hunter, I'd go south and hunt KY.
2) Be careful in what you lease. Central Ohio has good deer property and it also has lots of crop land with no cover for acres and acres.

If all else fails, place a classified ad in a local paper-- "Wanted to Lease."
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:03 am

I'm in central Ohio, but haven't a clue to offer you on leasing a farm, I don't have that kind of money, and hunt my small parcel.
I have seen ads on Craig's list, for people trying to find hunting land for access to hunt, but I have no idea if it was successful or not.
You might try a real estate agent, or a leasing agent, they get paid to be your eyes and ears.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

danh228

Postby danh228 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:16 am

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it!!

danh228

Re: looking to lease land(found land)

Postby danh228 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 pm

I am happy to report that my group and myself we're able to find a beautiful 380 acre farm in Greene county, Illinois to lease. It has it all, rolling terain, creeks, fingers with multiple inside corners and corn and soy beans. Not to mention some sasanctuarys where we know they can go to be undisturbed. We orginally wanted to find something in Ohio but couldn't pass this one up as it's a proven producer of big whitetail bucks everyear. See pics below. Anyone else hunt in Greene county Illinois? My only concern is the allowance of 2 bucks. Allows that guy to shoot a small 1.5-2.5 yr old small 8 and then start hunting for Mr big. One thing I LOVE about Ohio is it's one and done, u want to shoot that young 8pt and end your season...go ahead, but your done Buck hunting now unless your not going to follow the rules like I'm sure many dont. As hunters, do we really need to shoot 2 bucks a year? I have NO problem with someone taking more than one deer, how about a Buck and a doe? Those are my thoughts not yours, danh228.... out!

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:26 am

I'm an IL resident...and yes, I do need to be able to shoot 2 bucks per year.

I have a very small plot of land that I have access to for bowhunting. I sometimes get to hunt a larger farm during firearms, but that is a lot of sneaking through waterway ditches and hoping to intercept deer as they cross the open fields. There are ZERO trees on this farm.

My main motivation for hunting is to put venison in the freezer. I've been lucky enough to kill a couple of nice bucks--nothing record book or anything, but very respectable. Some years I don't really see any bucks, other years it's only bucks that I do see.

If a hunter could choose whether or not a doe or a buck is the animal to give them a shot opportunity, then it would be a different story. However, I am going to try to put the biggest bodied deer in my freezer as possible. My best year I killed 4 deer and my wife killed 1. The next year I didn't shoot anything with my bow (and let several young bucks walk at 10-30 yds) because I didn't need the venison. This year I didn't kill ANY deer. Next year, the first deer that looks like it'll go 100 lbs at least is going down.

I like having the option of putting food on the table first, and then being able to hunt for a big rack later in the year if I want to.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:53 am

First of all congratulation on your lease. From the pictures it looks exciting.
When I first started hunting deer in Ohio in the early 70's the rule was: Buck or doe on opening day, then buck only after that and the limit was one deer only. Seeing a buck was a big deal, let alone getting a shot at one. If you didn't shoot a doe on opening day, well, the odds of you getting a deer were slim. Things are much, much better now...maybe because of those restrictions.
As for the one buck rule, since I grew up with, it I actually ok with it. I know it keeps me from shooting a small buck early in the year and in the end some years I don't shoot a buck, but some years it enabled me to shoot a nice one. I've always been fortunate enough to shoot a couple of does to fill the freezer.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Next

Return to General Discussions