to bipod or not to bipod

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
crossbow

to bipod or not to bipod

Postby crossbow » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

being a new hunter, I can use opinions on hunting equiptment,like bipods.do they come in handy or are they rarely used.is it worth spending the money on? i have a savage 270 trophy hunter xp.any suggestions will help.thanks.

shaman

Re: to bipod or not to bipod

Postby shaman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:24 am

It is going to depend on how and where you intend to hunt. Normally whitetail deer are taken inside of 80 yards. If you are going to be hunting in deep woods, a bipod is redundant. Just brace against a tree or fencepost. They will also be useless in treestands. I have been hunting deer over 30 years. My last unsupported offhand shot was 2004 was at 20 yards ( I missed) . However, a bipod would have been useless there too. I jumped a herd of deer bedding next to my treestand ladder.

Remember that a bipod takes time to set up, and it only supports a certain range of shots. If you're trying to plug a grazing elk at 300 yards, it makes sense. Trying to do the same in the middle of a ground blind with deer walking by at 50 yards? Try it yourself with a couple of broom sticks lashed together and send your girlfriend out to walk across your field of view-- you'll see what I mean.

I have and admission. I own two bipods. One is a Harris that I inherited. It's sturdy, and if I ever need to shoot prone, at a Bighorn at 600 yards, it's coming with me. The other is the one I use for coyote hunting. It is meant for steadying shots from a ground setup taken from the sitting position. It cost less than a dollar to make. Check this out:

Varmint Al's Bi-Fur-Pod

Now the difference between coyote and deer is that deer are usually taken unawares and they are crossing your path and you need to swing your rifle to catch them broadside. Coyote are usually called in and taken head on as they approach.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Retranger

Postby Retranger » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:30 am

I purchased a shooting stik a couple years ago and use it for turkey hunting only. I would not consider it a necessary item :) :)
Doug

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:03 am

I have a Primos Trigger Stick that I use in the swamp with a shotgun when running deer with dogs. I use it as a wading staff to help avoid taking a swim, and since I have Parkinson's, it helps me steady and support the weight of the gun when I hear the dogs heading my way and put the gun to my shoulder in anticipation of a deer showing up.

When I'm still hunting with a rifle, I have shooting rests in all of my ladder stands, tower blinds, and shooting houses. If I hunted out West where spot and stalk is the primary method, then I might want to use a good bipod or tripod.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:06 pm

I have a shooting stick that I bought specifically for turkey hunting from a ground blind and it works great. I also used it on some private property that was pretty open. I hunted it during the gun season and it was worth carrying around. The down side is that it is one more thing that you have to carry in your hands. Of no use in a treestand. If you own one, you probably will use it at some point, but I don't really consider it a necessity to hunt deer, at least in Ohio.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MZS

Postby MZS » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:07 am

shaman wrote:It is going to depend on how and where you intend to hunt. Normally whitetail deer are taken inside of 80 yards. If you are going to be hunting in deep woods, a bipod is redundant. Just brace against a tree or fencepost. They will also be useless in treestands. I have been hunting deer over 30 years. My last unsupported offhand shot was 2004 was at 20 yards ( I missed) . However, a bipod would have been useless there too. I jumped a herd of deer bedding next to my treestand ladder.

Remember that a bipod takes time to set up, and it only supports a certain range of shots. If you're trying to plug a grazing elk at 300 yards, it makes sense. Trying to do the same in the middle of a ground blind with deer walking by at 50 yards? Try it yourself with a couple of broom sticks lashed together and send your girlfriend out to walk across your field of view-- you'll see what I mean.

I have and admission. I own two bipods. One is a Harris that I inherited. It's sturdy, and if I ever need to shoot prone, at a Bighorn at 600 yards, it's coming with me. The other is the one I use for coyote hunting. It is meant for steadying shots from a ground setup taken from the sitting position. It cost less than a dollar to make. Check this out:

Varmint Al's Bi-Fur-Pod

Now the difference between coyote and deer is that deer are usually taken unawares and they are crossing your path and you need to swing your rifle to catch them broadside. Coyote are usually called in and taken head on as they approach.

Good thinking! I like how you invent things that can be made cheaply. This is a dieing art I think. My Dad, who fought in WWII and grew up in the Depression, would fabricate just about everything he needed. I picked up some of that from him.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:56 am

"When I'm still hunting with a rifle, I have shooting rests in all of my ladder stands, tower blinds, and shooting houses."

??? How do you stillhunt from a stand?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:17 pm

That's what it's called down here when we sit in a stand with a gun or bow, since technically the Western term of still hunting can't be applied down here in swamp country.

We call sitting or standing in one location while running the dogs, being on a "stand".
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Hoo-kaaay......Got it, I think. So when you're in a treestand, you're not stand hunting. You're stand hunting when you're standing though, and there's dogs involved. What if you're not standing in a treestand and some dogs run a deer by you, what would you call that? Still standing in a treestand?

WHEW! No wonder you guys invented moonshine! :mrgreen:
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:55 pm

If I'm sitting in a tree stand with my rifle, and dogs happen to run a deer by, I'd call it damn lucky, and I'd shoot the deer!!!!!!!!!!

That's something I've never understood people complaining about. If dog hunters are hunting nearby, it usually gets the deer up and moving, so someone sitting in a tree stand might actually get a better opportunity to kill a deer; so why complain about the dog hunters? If they don't trespass themselves, what's the big deal?

Next

Return to General Discussions