Deer Attacked my fishing buddy today and he had my GoPro On

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
themodernoutdoorsportsman

Deer Attacked my fishing buddy today and he had my GoPro On

Postby themodernoutdoorsportsman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:26 pm

Deer Charges through Creek to attack Fisherman then make friends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl0iIK44L0w&list=UUfyj6rI5LAspDrjNoEQdtEg&feature=share

We set out to chase some Steelhead on the Clackamas River in Oregon this weekend and had an interesting experience to say the least- a Deer Attack. Now, I say Deer Attack but it wasn’t too serious because she was a little doe. But she did kick and charge multiple times and then became friendly. It was a very interesting experience and have never seen another video quiet like this one.

The hike from the two lane highway is about a mile down a path riverside. Our hike began late afternoon about 2:00 PM. We fished for about two hours and begin our hike out about 4:30, as we were trying to coax our fishing partner who was without waders to jump a creek, a small doe ran straight into my leg. Of coarse it startled me as I knew the dog that accompanied us was on the other side of the creek. My initial shock startled the deer and caused it stormed through the creek to the opposite side where Brian was standing. After it saw Brian, it began to charge and kick him for a minute and then out of nowhere just stopped. From that point on it would not leave our side.

As you can see in the video we began to walk away and the Deer decided to cross the creek again and follow us some more. It was truly a once in a lifetime experience and I worry for the Deer to say the least. More often then not when an animal is that comfortable with humans it does not end well for the animal…

Ohio farms

Re: Deer Attacked my fishing buddy today and he had my GoPro

Postby Ohio farms » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:47 pm

That was amazing. I don't know what to make of that behavior.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

kellory

Postby kellory » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:38 pm

Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that rare exchange. I know young squirrels and duck can imprint on a human (I have done it with squirrels), perhaps it is true of young deer as well? Or being that young, it is too stupid to know better? Fun to watch, either way.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

themodernoutdoorsportsman

Postby themodernoutdoorsportsman » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:19 pm

It was crazy!

w4sar

Postby w4sar » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:10 am

I live in a rural subdivision in Orange County NC. Three years ago, a button buck started making the rounds of the houses He was skinny, and had a a couple of scratches and contusions on his back. I suspect he was driven away violently by his mother as they often do with males reaching weaning age. He followed humans around and allowed them to pet him, one time when my wife was cleaning pine straw he came up behind her and head-butted her on the butt! She thinks he may have been looking for her udder!

I didn't mind his visits, but worked on keeping my distance as I did not want him to habituate to humans, and also knew that when he got bigger and stronger and the hormones kicked in, someone could get hurt. One of my neighbors got a wakeup call on this when one of their kids started playing with the buck, and the buck responded with deer play behavior. It reared up on its hind legs and struck at his face with the front hooves. The kid was frightened, but not hurt, but that put an end to them treating it as a pet.

We believe he made it through at least one hunting season. Another neighbor walked up on a group of deer in his back yard, they scrambled into the woods, except for one 3 point buck who stayed and looked at him. He asked "Is that you?". The buck took a couple of steps toward him and then turned and rejoined the group.
David J. Snyder
Orange County, NC

Return to General Discussions