Cabin Fever Topic #1

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Cabin Fever Topic #1

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:20 am

OK gang, it's that time of the year again. Hunting season's are mostly over as well as football (and what a YUCKY way to end that!!!), and the walls are beginning to close in, so let's get some conversation going.

I present this question.................

Should the government, either Federal or State, have a set age for when your child can hunt/take a hunter safety course, or shoot a firearm? For the sake of this discussion all of these mentioned activities are to be supervised by the responsible adult, with a heavy emphasis on "RESPONSIBLE".

So, whadaya think?
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Re: Cabin Fever Topic #1

Postby rthomas4 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:52 am

Absolutely NOT!!!!!!!!!! Each child is different, and it's the parents who should make the decisions regarding when to start a child shooting and hunting. There is already way too much governmental control and intrusion into our lives as it is.

My father and grandfather started me out when I was about 8 years old, and by the time I was 10, I had killed my first deer. I started Travis shooting and handling a gun at the age of 5, and actually had him sitting on a deer stand with a gun (within eye sight of me), also at 5. He killed his first deer also at age 10, and has been taking a stand on his own since he was 8.

Personally, I'm not in favor of forced Hunter's Ed, in order to get a hunting license. I view this as an income source for the companies that offer the courses, and after taking the course myself, failed to see anything in the course that actually taught the first thing about hunting. The course should be titled, what it actually is, which is gun and archery safety!

Thankfully, here in SC, the requirement of Hunter's Ed. is that it must be completed in order to get a regular hunting license at age 16. The age at which a kid can legally hunt is up to the individual parents, just as it should be and the way in which it traditionally has always been.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:48 pm

In Ohio anyone 15 yrs old or younger must be accompanied by an adult (18) to hunt. A hunter education course is mandated unless you have had a hunting license prior to the implementation of the hunter ed. rule. (I agree, that in reality it is a gun/bow safety course.)
There are a few hoops to jump through, but essentially it is left up to the parents or an adult to be responsible for their own children.
Are all parents/adults RESPONSIBLE?? Nope!...in there lies the rub. (Shakespeare, I think)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:32 pm

I do not believe there should be a mandatory minimum age for hunting. Like has been mentioned, that should be solely up to the parents of the child.

I also agree that most hunter ed classes are really just firearm handling/shooting safety courses. I do remember taking my hunter safety class when I was like 10 or 11 and seeing pictures of where to shoot a deer (vitals) and talking about making sure of your background and such before taking a shot. I remember thinking, "Duh!! everybody should know that".. but that's because I was brought up shooting and such. I didn't get to hunt until I was 14, and then only with a bow. That was my Dad's choice. He didn't gun hunt because he didn't have access to any ground where he felt safe with the other people in the woods. However, by the time I was 14, it was totally solo. Dad and I would separate from the truck on the way to our stands and meet back there after dark. I didn't begin gun hunting until about 6 or 7 years ago. I had access to ground that I was bowhunting, so I bought a slug gun and started gun hunting as well.

I'm hoping that my daughter grows up to be as excited about shooting and hunting as my wife and I are. She will definitely be out in the woods with us as much as possible at a young age. As soon as I think she is capable of shooting, we'll start with targets. (I'd say on the range, but it will really just be the back yard) From there I plan on working to small game like squirrels. I believe here in IL anybody under 16 has to be accompanied by an adult to gun hunt, so we'd sit together for at least that long during gun seasons, but I'd let her bow hunt on her own as soon as I was confident she could do so safely.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:13 pm

Deebz, I have cabin fever too. I have had it with all the snow. I see deer running around and think, "See you next year! Grow grow grow!" hehe. Anyway.

So no, I don't believe there should be a minimum age. I *responsible* (there's that word again) parent will know when their child is ready to shoot. My daughter was 18 when she first shot, and I finally felt good about it for her at that age. My son, however, was 12. Just different kids, different rates of maturity when it comes to things like that. I don't believe the government knows my children better than I do. :-)
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

"I don't believe the government knows my children better than I do. "

Boy, are you ever right about that! Now all we have to do is convince them about that.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:46 pm

Should the government, either Federal or State, have a set age for when your child can hunt/take a hunter safety course, or shoot a firearm? For the sake of this discussion all of these mentioned activities are to be supervised by the responsible adult, with a heavy emphasis on "RESPONSIBLE".

I put two sons through KY's Hunter Education program. Both were too young based on the current KY law, but both had deer in the freezer before they turned old enough to take the course under the current rule. One passed at 8 and the other at 9. KY allows children younger than 12 to hunt without the course as long as they are accompanied by an adult. Both kids were shooting fairly early on-- always with supervision.

I really do not have a beef with the change, and I will begin schooling the grand kids long before 12 and will be at a level of competence sufficient to pass a Hunter Ed course before they go out.

Federal? No. State? I like the old KY law, and I can live with the current one. There is no age limit on hunting or shooting, just when you can take the course.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:54 pm

So if you aren't old enough to take the hunter safety in KY, you can still hunt as long as you have an adult with you?
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:26 pm

IMO the only time the government has any say as to when my child can hunt or shoot a weapon is if it's on government controlled land. On private land it's none of their darn business when I decide when MY child is ready to hunt or shoot.

I had my daughter shooting a .22 handgun and a rifle when she was 10 years old on the range I have in our back field under my supervision. With the bow it was earlier than that.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the fact after she graduated from college and got her first real job she joined the NRA? You gotta TEACH 'EM!!!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:07 am

In my family, You can accompany at any age, at 12, you get a wooden gun you must treat as real for a season (learning where to point it, how to carry, ext.) And at 13. You get the Savage,. 22lr/.410 over and under as your gun. It is yours, until you outgrow it, or another hunter comes of age, then it passes to them.
Archery, is whenever they show interest, then teach they all they will learn.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions