Cabin Fever Topic #1

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Retranger

Re: Cabin Fever Topic #1

Postby Retranger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:06 pm

shaman wrote:I chuckled, but then his dad came up and explained the boy had shot a doe that morning that had gone 170 lbs.

YEARS OLD :?: :?: :?: :roll: :roll: Yea I would chuckle also :lol: :lol:
Doug

shaman

Postby shaman » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:48 am

Yeah, but there's more to it. See, this was the first deer I ever took of the new property. I had spent a good part of my adult life trying to acquire this property. I'd had to fight a messy divorce, ill health, career setbacks, etc. and after 15 years of looking I had finally found my little spot of heaven there in November 2001. We had acquired the property rather late in the year, so I'd had to hussle my buns to get things squared away, get in some quick scouting, put up a few stands.

And then there had been the poachers. I'd fought all through October trying to convince the locals that this wasn't their private, undeclared WMA-- that I owned it, and I wanted it just for me and mine. I'd had a goofball, probably high on Oxy, point a gun at me. I'd blown one easy bow shot early in October and then been harassed by a funny little buck I called Spike who found a way every weekend to sneak up on me. I had moved my stand for the Rifle Opener, hoping to surprise Spike, and successfully ambushed him on Opening Day only to get the one freaking bad primer I've ever had fail to set off on a perfect dead-nuts shot at 20 yards. This doe was the consolation prize; I took her the next morning.

. . . and after all THAT, I pull into the check station and that little brat kid walks up and tells me his was bigger.

Look, if you are going to limit deer hunting to those who truly understand all what it takes to successfully fill a tag, I would set down the following minimum requirements:

1) You must have eaten tag soup for at least 5 consecutive seasons.
2) You must have a signed affidavit from a physician testifying that you received injuries while scouting or hunting that required you to crawl out on your hands and knees at least a half mile, and that these injuries caused you to miss the rest of season.
3) You must have had at least one treestand failure or similar circumstance with a vertical drop greater than 10 feet.
4) Your weapon must have malfunctioned at least once with game in your sights.
5) You must have at least one failed marriage due to deer hunting.
6) You must have at least one close hunting friend die
7) You must have been shot at more than once
. . . if I go one, I'm afraid I won't be able to stop.

I say, get them when they are young and naive and can still believe that it is all worth something in the end-- young as you can. Drag them out in the woods and teach them to sit there and be cold and miserable and teach them that this is the best possible thing to be doing. Do it early, do it often, do it as fast as you can for as long as you can, because all too soon, they grow up and start worrying about jobs and their new family and you can't drag them out as often as before, and all too soon these little pipsqueaks are coming to you with grandchildren and finally telling you that you have to give up your guns and go sit in a home somewhere.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:43 pm

"I say, get them when they are young and naive and can still believe that it is all worth something in the end-- young as you can. Drag them out in the woods and teach them to sit there and be cold and miserable and teach them that this is the best possible thing to be doing. Do it early, do it often, do it as fast as you can for as long as you can, because all too soon, they grow up and start worrying about jobs and their new family and you can't drag them out as often as before, and all too soon these little pipsqueaks are coming to you with grandchildren and finally telling you that you have to give up your guns and go sit in a home somewhere."

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO!!!!!

You figgered it out shaman!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:59 am

I'll have to give Travis credit. He never once complained about the cold, or the skeeters, or how long he was left sitting from the time he was 5 and including the years in between and up to now that he's 17. He may make a comment after the hunt is over about being cold, but it's usually to inquire as to how cold did I get......especially if he could at least hear the dogs even if he didn't get to see a deer. My grand daddy would have loved this kid!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:41 pm

Hhhmmm try again...

One guy's 8 year old son may be less capable of understanding what it means to kill a deer than another man's 6 year old...

I have to agree with the above.
Shaman not sure where you were going at first ;) Taking them out and making it so miserable they don't return..lol. Then I got ya.
We took our kids out as well but they could not shoot, NYS laws but we would not have allowed them too either. See at least when, say Grant Woods took his girls out they had Caldwell fieldpods to hold their guns. I think someone taking a child out that is obviously over gunned and having to hold the gun up because the child can't is more for the "mentor" to brag than for the child's experience. Ppl can take young children out on hunts without them having to shoot and still instill a joy for the experience. I think it would be very difficult to not out gun a 3-6yr old child that goes into the woods to hunt big game /deer/turkey with out the help of a fieldpod...but how many are willing to invest in such equipment , truth be known...JMO I have never tried
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:02 pm

They put my first grandchild in my arms 2 years ago this month. The first thing I did was start teaching that kid to do was to yelp like a turkey. She came home from the hospital in camo, and she's got a camo bag and a set of turkey calls waiting for her. Deer hunting? Mostly you just have to teach them how to sit there and take it. I can wait another year for that. This year, she'll also learn the parts of the deer. Next year, she'll know all the parts of the deer rifle and turkey shotgun. Then the waiting game starts while she grows into the stock. I have a 20 GA Remington and a 20 GA Mossberg that are waiting there for the first spring hunt. For deer, I have a Marlin 1894 in 357 MAG standing by.

She will go out at age 3 or 4 just to scout and sit and finally go out armed with Grandpa on her first squirrel hunt somewhere between 8 and 10. Her first solo trip will be in a year or two. We have a big tree about 200 yards from the house. On some warm summer evening, she'll take her compass and whistle and walkie-talkie and take off from the porch and head out for her first big trip alone. The Big Tree trip has become the first rite of passage around our place.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:32 pm

....or, she will be like my sister, an expert shot, but can not pull a trigger on anything with a face. (Her words)
We were all taught to hunt, but she did not continue beyond her training, and swore off all meat for years afterwards.
For some....food really does come from a store.
She loves to shoot, and does it well, but just can't kill. So be it.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:01 pm

kellory wrote:....or, she will be like my sister, an expert shot, but can not pull a trigger on anything with a face. (Her words)
We were all taught to hunt, but she did not continue beyond her training, and swore off all meat for years afterwards.
For some....food really does come from a store.
She loves to shoot, and does it well, but just can't kill. So be it.

You know Kel, I think that's exactly what I am going to be dealing with, with my daughter. Not to mention she's out of my sphere of influence again, off enjoying all that legal adulthood has to offer. (What a joke). She hasn't outright said it, but I think she's being swayed by her liberal college friends more than I can catch up with. So may years of raising her with our family values, out the window once she meets the first "cool" person. Now it's my job to keep sending the message and wait.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:44 am

Don't worry Sierra, if you instilled the basics they will always be there. My own daughter was the same way and she survived her college years quite well, and in fact became an avid shooter and joined the NRA on her own after she got her first job.

It may simmer under the surface for a while, but it's still there.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:18 am

When I was in college, all of the liberal professors and peer pressures only reinforced my stubborn redneckedness. That's why I had to change majors from Political Science to English Education, and finally to Journalism. I had one Poly Sci professor who had been a student radical at Kent State and was one of the protestors when the shootings occurred, one who had served in the LBJ administration as an embassy assistant in Argentina, and one whose husband was a US Court of Appeals Judge appointed by LBJ. Needless to say I quickly realized that if I was going to get a college degree, it wouldn't be in Poly Sci.
Then as an English Ed major, I was a student teacher for 6 weeks at Statesboro High, teaching 10th grade World History during the last 6 weeks of the school term. My objections to social promotion provided the insight that this too, was not the pathway to a degree. I finally ended up with an English Lit professor who, although he was as gay as can possible exist, proved to be the best professor I ever had. He would assign us a topic and give us 30 minutes to right a paper without any research. He recognized my abilities as a BS artist with a gift for words and prompted me to switch over to the brand new degree program of Journalism, and with one quarter 'til graduation I followed his advice. Interestingly enough, I had to attend the Summer Quarter in order to graduate with the fall class, because of all things the requirement for a Poly Sci course! I received the second degree in Journalism ever awarded at Georgia Southern during the fall of 1975. I never lost my passion for hunting, fishing, guns or chewing tobacco during my entire college career, and spent every free minute practicing at least one of those passions.

Luckily, Travis is active in the NJROTC and plans on entering the military after he graduates from high school, next year. He is the captain of the rifle team, and a squad leader, so some of his hunting gets interrupted with ROTC events; but luckily most of his teachers or their husbands are hunters and fishermen and often when we run into one of them outside of school the first question they ask him is about hunting. Also, most of his friends and their families are also hunters and his girl friend wants him to take her hunting; so I don't believe he will be tainted by any of the liberal influences he may come into contact with in the future.......plus he's already a Life Member of the NRA, and an annual member of NWTF. He's also well on his way with his own gun collection with two shotguns, three rifles, and a handgun of his own. On top of that he loves hearing the hounds run deer in the swamp!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to General Discussions