Cabin Fever Topic #1

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Re: Cabin Fever Topic #1

Postby shaman » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:51 am

Deebz wrote:So if you aren't old enough to take the hunter safety in KY, you can still hunt as long as you have an adult with you?

Yes. There are no age restrictions on hunting, but they put a minimum age on when you can take the test. The change happened back less than 10 years ago-- just after #3 son passed Hunter Ed @ 8 yrs old. I had made it a pre-req for hunting with a gun that my kids had to get their card. Passing the test became the most important thing in their lives for a little while. Now, by the time my grand kids can take the test, they'll be way past having it be a real challenge.

Around our house proper gun handling was a big thing starting about age 4. I gave each son a Daisy Training Rifle. They had to treat it like the real thing. Also, discouraged things like paintball and airsoft which gets kids shooting each other at young age. My kids played Army and stuff like that, but they did it cooperatively, shooting at make-believe enemies. The only exception was squirt guns.

Going hunting with Dad happened as early as possible. Angus was in the blind with me at 4. Mooseboy went into the blind @ 7 and into the treestand @ 8. Both had their troubles early on. Angus was recoil shy; that held him up for a couple of years. Mooseboy could not stay awake. The sleeping was not the problem. It was the snoring. Both are now well on their way. Moose's favorite game is squirrel. I think Angus likes whatever is in season.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:21 pm

I played paintball for years, and got.right good at it. And I played it mostly with a slingshot! ;). I played twice a week on open paintball fields, and often went up against pros. That was a lot of fun, and I would play again anytime. My son and daughter have both played, and I have no issues with them doing so, as long as it is played by the safety rules, there is no harm in it.

I still have my Splat master pistol, but my fasemask has deteriorated. But because of ME, there is a pro team that now carries my type of wrist rocket, and has a new respect for primitive weapons. :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:04 am

Nothing against paintball per se, Mister Kellory. I was a paintballer ( it was called Survival Game) in my day. I organized my company's team and then one out of the group that hung out at my house. We were good. The problem that I saw was that it took attention away from hunting. Here I was trying to teach them how to sit still for 4 hours in a treestand, and then turn around and turn them loose to bounce around the woods with a paintball gun. Now that they're nearly all grown, I'd have no problem with it.

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:25 am

I would argue, that to disallow paintball, because you're learning to hunt, Would equate to disallowing swimming because you are learning to water ski.
They are in the same venue. You wear most of the same gear, but they are two completely different sports.
My Brother and I intended, at one point, to open a paintball field. Unfortunately, a lay-off killed my funding before we could launch our venture.
As long as the safety rules are followed. It is an lot of fun though I have twisted several ankles.
We played in open fields, which means open to anyone. Pro teams would show up to practice ( cheaper than renting the field) and would take on all comers. That slingshot ISNA sniper's weapon in paintball. It's quiet. Dark paintballs prevent using them as tracers to track the shooter, and I can reuse unbroken paintball rounds dropped by others. No one else can use them.
I was regularly. The second place holder in elimination games, because, once they found me, they would light me up like a Christmas tree, but stealth and silence are still how I hunt. I was most suscessful, when creeping through high grasses, and moving slow and quiet. These are good hunting practices. It was pretty funny to take out a guy with a 500-800 dollar gun, with a twenty dollar slingshot. Primitive weapons rock! :mrgreen:
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Honestly Kellory, I cannot disagree with you. At the time, it seemed right to keep the kids focused, and my sons came out of it as successful happy hunters, good campers, and stalwart hikers.

Back to the original question: Every kid has his own path when it comes to hunting. The one thing I look for as a father is when a bunch of things line up for a kid. First and foremost, the kid has to be able to understand what he's doing. This is not something you can confuse with a computer game. It is the taking of life for food. It really changes things after that first successful shot and the kid asks what comes next and you hand them the knife.

Second, is the readiness of the kid to deal with firearms. Of course safety is a THE BIG ISSUE, but I found that was not such a problem. The hurtles I saw my kids crossing were a bit more subtle. Mooseboy was prone to the sort of buck fever where you forget the subtleties of aiming. Angus developed a recoil induced flinch. While safety was never an issue, it took some fine tuning before either could produce venison. In Angus' case, the flinch delayed him a couple of years while he worked things out with a 22. Mooseboy was blowing easy shots, and he finally corrected the problem himself.

The third thing was all the internal stuff that had to be worked out. Mooseboy would fall asleep. Angus would lose focus. Mooseboy had trouble with maintaining optimism. Angus had trouble staying warm. These were all things my kids had to overcome themselves before they could hunt successfully. Even when they got to go out armed, there were a lot of dry runs, flubs and goofs. Both of them ended up with mystery shots that left the deer just staring at us. Angus left the house without his outer layer a couple of times.

But to think somehow the state needs to stick their nose into it? Absolutely not, at least no more than what we have in KY. Angus was well past needing supervision this year for deer season, but Mooseboy offered to sit with him and give me a chance to hunt solo. When Mooseboy turned 15, he too was well past needing my help, and the buddy stand was pretty well cramped, but we mucked through.

allthingswhitetail

Postby allthingswhitetail » Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:15 pm

No minimum age. I was able to shoot at an earlier age than my brother. He was a little goofy and needed to mature according to my dad.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:09 pm

All of you sound like responsible hunters and adults, but as we all know not all are. Most rules are made to protect the 9 out of ten from the one out of ten and it's unfortunate that all ten are effected. I resent those rules, but sadly understand them. In Ohio if you are fortunate enough to own country land, you are pretty much on your own to decide it all. I'm glad that I'm able to share that land with my family and the freedom that it allows. Over the last few year two of my nephews and two of my nieces, along with their spouses, have been introduced to hunting and firearms. This past summer they all received their conceal and carry permits and I could not be prouder of them all.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:10 pm

Sounds like you heard about what is being debated in the Iowa legislature WW.

Iowa law as of now states this,

Current Iowa law prohibits children under the age of 14 from shooting a handgun or possessing the ammo to go into a handgun – even under Dad’s watchful eye.
so they want to change the law to children 12 and older which will basically do nothing significant to a fathers right to teach his son/daughter proper gun skills when the father deems his child ready.

This false flag is being used in Iowa to politically cover a state reps butt who said this (cut and paste from Iowa gun owners website)

{Representative Dan Muhlbauer (D-Manilla) came out around Christmas time in 2012 and called for the banning and house-to-house confiscation of ALL semi-automatics in the state!! }

So,,, he sponsors a bill this year to make himself 'look" like a reasonable democrat in a very pro gun county of Iowa. I hope those being represented by him are paying attention.

you think this is bad? Now that mayor bloomberg is out of a job in NY, he has dispatched his minions with pockets full of his money to raise hell in the statehouse this year to effect real gun law changes that provide safer streets and communitys for all of Iowas residents, just makes me want to barf hearing that B.S...

I took a new job 2 weeks ago and when i heard about all of this a generous donation was given to IGO. if the job pans out they will get that every month to stop these people in their tracks. I hope it`s enough.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:18 pm

luv: No, I hadn't heard about this! Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Once again it's demonstrated to us that we CANNOT rest. These people are relentless and like a weed they just keep cropping up again and again.

This is a prefect example of why we need to teach our children...on OUR terms...about guns, hunting, and ultimately FREEDOM. When I taught my daughter I had no idea if she would ever actually be a shooter or hunter. That would be her choice and her's alone. But I did it because I wanted her to know the TRUTH about those things so when she did hear the lies and mistruths that abound in regards to guns and hunting her "BS" detector would go off and she'd know what she was dealing with. As it turned out she's not only a shooter, but she's also devoted to the cause.

The truth has a funny way of coming out on top, doesn't it?

Don't let up bro. Keep the word out and hammer those legislators with your input!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:15 am

The debate about what is the proper age for children to begin hunting has been raging for over a year in Montana, and now in Iowa. In Montana, the folks who are opposed to allowing kids under 14 to hunt are being linked to the idea that the parents would take advantage of the law and would use their children's tags to circumvent the bag limits, and that basically parents who want kids under 14 allowed to hunt are dirt bags and would become legalized poachers. They are also opposed to a mentor type of program for kids under 14 and support forced hunter ed courses prior to even allowing a child into the woods with a gun, even when accompanied by a licensed hunter who is the child's parent or guardian. From what I've been reading over on Hunt Talk, the same mentality is being pushed in Iowa to prevent these younger kids from legally carrying a gun and hunting. Many comments supporting the younger age kids have come from those of us in the various states where it's a parental decision as to whether or not a child is competent enough to safely handle a gun and hunt. Although the age in Montana was lowered from 14 to 12, there is still a lot of dissent and animosity being displayed against the change, with a lot of the anger being directed towards licensed outfitters and again using the claims of parents being slob hunters when it comes to purchasing permits and applying for tags in their kid's names. From what I've seen, that same type of obtuse thinking is also being fostered by those opposed to lowering the age limit in Iowa.

Once again, I'm glad I live in SC where hunting is considered just as much of a right as owning a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussions