Cabin Fever Topic #1

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Sailfish

Re: Cabin Fever Topic #1

Postby Sailfish » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:11 am

no

this sounds like the Diane Sawyer fiasco a week or so ago.

Just another angle to diminish guns.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:44 am

kellory wrote:I played paintball for years, and got.right good at it. And I played it mostly with a slingshot! ;). I played twice a week on open paintball fields, and often went up against pros. That was a lot of fun, and I would play again anytime. My son and daughter have both played, and I have no issues with them doing so, as long as it is played by the safety rules, there is no harm in it.

I still have my Splat master pistol, but my fasemask has deteriorated. But because of ME, there is a pro team that now carries my type of wrist rocket, and has a new respect for primitive weapons. :mrgreen:

Well who knew you played, Kel? ;-) I am an airsofter. I wrote out a whole post but abandoned it because it became too much of a tangent. We should talk about it sometime.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:51 am

shaman wrote:Nothing against paintball per se, Mister Kellory. I was a paintballer ( it was called Survival Game) in my day. I organized my company's team and then one out of the group that hung out at my house. We were good. The problem that I saw was that it took attention away from hunting. Here I was trying to teach them how to sit still for 4 hours in a treestand, and then turn around and turn them loose to bounce around the woods with a paintball gun. Now that they're nearly all grown, I'd have no problem with it.

Another paintballer, coolness. :-)

Airsoft helped in that our team was so strictly MilSim, that we didn't do much running around at all. We did a lot of ambushes, recon, stuff like that... which does help the concentration and focus. But I see precisely what you are saying... often times when playing the inclination is to light someone up and haul as$, and sometimes I would. Hehe. I think I struggle with the time on the stand because I am always in front of a damned computer for work, and as a result I am used to everything being instantaneous. I struggle mentally at times, but I sit there.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:57 am

kellory wrote:I would argue, that to disallow paintball, because you're learning to hunt, Would equate to disallowing swimming because you are learning to water ski.
They are in the same venue. You wear most of the same gear, but they are two completely different sports.
My Brother and I intended, at one point, to open a paintball field. Unfortunately, a lay-off killed my funding before we could launch our venture.
As long as the safety rules are followed. It is an lot of fun though I have twisted several ankles.
We played in open fields, which means open to anyone. Pro teams would show up to practice ( cheaper than renting the field) and would take on all comers. That slingshot ISNA sniper's weapon in paintball. It's quiet. Dark paintballs prevent using them as tracers to track the shooter, and I can reuse unbroken paintball rounds dropped by others. No one else can use them.
I was regularly. The second place holder in elimination games, because, once they found me, they would light me up like a Christmas tree, but stealth and silence are still how I hunt. I was most suscessful, when creeping through high grasses, and moving slow and quiet. These are good hunting practices. It was pretty funny to take out a guy with a 500-800 dollar gun, with a twenty dollar slingshot. Primitive weapons rock! :mrgreen:

You would have liked airsoft too. Sounds like you had what was needed for our team. We were pro for a few years, with sponsorships and stuff. Went to all the big ops. (In fact, that is how I met my husband. Airsoft.) I am staff at Irene again this year. http://oplionclaws.com/irene/index.php I think parts of it are great training for hunting. I miss playing. I am looking forward to Irene because Staff also participates in playing for some objectives. I missed last year because of the wedding. Not missing this year! Woot! (You guys got me all fired up to play just by talking about it, lol).

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:00 pm

Ohio farms wrote:All of you sound like responsible hunters and adults, but as we all know not all are. Most rules are made to protect the 9 out of ten from the one out of ten and it's unfortunate that all ten are effected. I resent those rules, but sadly understand them. In Ohio if you are fortunate enough to own country land, you are pretty much on your own to decide it all. I'm glad that I'm able to share that land with my family and the freedom that it allows. Over the last few year two of my nephews and two of my nieces, along with their spouses, have been introduced to hunting and firearms. This past summer they all received their conceal and carry permits and I could not be prouder of them all.

That is something I have yet to do, my CCW. Both my husband and I want to do it. I need my own side arm as well, obviously. I really want the Springfield XD .45. I really enjoyed shooting it. So did my kids. :-)

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Woods Walker wrote:luv: No, I hadn't heard about this! Thank you for bringing it to our attention. Once again it's demonstrated to us that we CANNOT rest. These people are relentless and like a weed they just keep cropping up again and again.

This is a prefect example of why we need to teach our children...on OUR terms...about guns, hunting, and ultimately FREEDOM. When I taught my daughter I had no idea if she would ever actually be a shooter or hunter. That would be her choice and her's alone. But I did it because I wanted her to know the TRUTH about those things so when she did hear the lies and mistruths that abound in regards to guns and hunting her "BS" detector would go off and she'd know what she was dealing with. As it turned out she's not only a shooter, but she's also devoted to the cause.

The truth has a funny way of coming out on top, doesn't it?

Don't let up bro. Keep the word out and hammer those legislators with your input!

You are so right about that. One thing my daughter is very adament about is her second amendment rights. I started her very young. I bring it up from time to time to test her and see where she still stands on things. And of course, we go shooting. My son is also getting the life's lessons about the constitution and why it should stand as it is. He's also a good shot. It's important they enjoy it... so I never forced them to shoot, I just waited and once they were interested, and at an age and responsibility level that I deemed suitable for them, we went, and they had a great time. Going shooting is a treat for the whole family, really. I like that they stay involved, and feel confident and educated enough on the subject to discuss with others.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:40 pm

I really have a hard time seeing kids standing next to a gun that is half as tall over their heads...that said shooting with a responsible adult...but I think hunting should be mandated a bit later 8-10...when they can fully understand all the covenants that go along with taking that life...
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi MsBadger! Glad to see you again!

Great point... I think the important thing for people to keep in mind is that all people...even the kids...are different. This means that they all have different levels of maturity. That's why I don't believe there should be a number restriction to legally be able to hunt. One guy's 8 year old son may be less capable of understanding what it means to kill a deer than another man's 6 year old...

Whoever lives with that child on a daily basis is the one who can make that judgement call. My child will go out and kill a deer only when I am certain that she understands and honestly WANTS to go out and kill a deer. I just hope that she reaches that point sooner rather than later!
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:08 am

Years ago I had shot a doe during the KY Rifle Opener, and took her up to the check station. A 3 yr old in power ranger pajamas and red rubber boots came up and admired the deer.

"Nice doe." he said. "Mine was bigger."

I chuckled, but then his dad came up and explained the boy had shot a doe that morning that had gone 170 lbs.

Now, would that have been my kid out there? No. Was I going to question that father's ethics? No, not openly. His little boy was proud as could be. That's fine. Should a 3 year old have been out? Not by my reckoning, but I don't think it was my say-- not individually, and certainly not collectively.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:42 am

"....and certainly not collectively."

ESPECIALLY not collectively!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->