Ohio to announce PCR for Deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

Ohio to announce PCR for Deer

Postby shaman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:16 am

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/9315

The PCR proposal will allow:

Straight-walled cartridges which are currently legal in handguns. Ohio deer hunters have used handguns with these cartridges for decades without incident. These are the only cartridges which will become legal in rifles. The ODNR Division of Wildlife maintains a more complete list.
The 3-shot plugging rule is required for the pistol caliber rifles (PCR) the same as for shotguns.
The PCR will only be allowed during any deer season which currently allows the use of shotguns and handguns. Basically these seasons are the early youth deer gun season and the traditional deer gun week which opens on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
This type of firearm is lighter than shotguns and muzzleloaders, making it ideal for youth, the physically impaired, or any hunter who wishes to carry less weight.
The pistol cartridges are actually less powerful than the newer shotguns with rifled barrels, inline muzzleloaders, and sabot bullet technology. There is less recoil than with 12-gauge shotguns again making them ideal for smaller hunters.
Because it is a rifle with a shoulder stock, it is easier to shoot more accurately than handguns.
All states adjacent to Ohio allow PCR hunting for deer. Indiana moved to allow PCR for deer several years ago with no reported problems.

From what I'm reading, Ohio will be a bit different than Indiana. Whatever has been legal in a pistol in Ohio will be allowed in a rifle. 44 Mag, 357 Mag, 45 LC , 45-70 and other chamberings will be allowed.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

shaman

Re: Ohio to announce PCR for Deer

Postby shaman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:16 am

Here's more:

http://www2.ohiodnr.gov/news/post/ohio- ... bag-limits

This has more in it on bag limits too. It looks like Ohio is trying to increase the harvest-- it was off 27K from the previous year.

A proposal was also offered that would allow the use of pistol cartridge rifles for deer hunting. The proposed rifles are the same caliber and use the same straight-walled cartridges that are currently legal for use in handguns. The proposal is designed to allow additional gun-hunting opportunities for hunters that own these guns or want to hunt with these guns. These rifles have reduced recoil compared to larger shotguns, and the proposed rifles are more accurate than the same caliber handgun.

Proposed hunting rifles are chambered for the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:16 am

I saw that. Looks like I'll have to buy a new toy.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Could someone please explain the logic of states that will allow muzzle loaders and shotguns that shoot rifled projectiles, pistol cartridges, and even something as potent as a 45-70 or .500; but not buckshot or traditional center fire rifles? This is something that has always puzzled me, just as the Federal WMAs where only blackpowder rifles and shotguns with slugs are allowed.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:40 pm

MInd you, I don't agree with it-- never have, and never will. However, here goes.

1) shotgun slugs are safer-- they don't travel as far
2) High powered rifles would cause more deaths in heavily populated states
3) People take fewer risky long range shots with a shotgun over a rifle.

Those are the main reasons, but I've also heard:

4) Shotgun slugs wound less deer
5) Shotguns promote more bigger antlers (HUH??)
6) Shotguns are less likely to go into a house or a car

. . . and drivel like that. The truth is somebody decided rifles were dangerous and at the onset of modern deer season, made these rules to make things safer. It's all stupid circular thinking. I'm a Buckeye that has been crossing the river to hunt KY for over 20 years, and a good part of it is due to this nonsense.

Sierra

Postby Sierra » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:16 pm

Well this is interesting for sure. And business for the gun manufacturers too I would imagine. I also live in a county with an increased bag limit. Goes back to the issue with not enough hunting areas for the public in a lot of places. Franklin County? There is a herd by my work, but it's an industrial/business park. Delaware... maybe I will venture out to some public land and gamble on my lazy hunter theory.
And then the moon, like to a silver bow new bent in Heaven

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:36 pm

How about the old "thuty thuty"? I believe the T/C Contender was available in that caliber.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:12 am

No 30-30, no 30-06. In fact one of the pieces I read specifically referred to those as high-powered rifles and said there would be no high-powered rifles allowed-- as if a 45-70 is somehow a low-powered rifle? It goes back to my reply to RThomas4; none of this is sensical in the end. However, Ohio is trading one illogical regulation for one of slightly better logic, and that is a good thing.

Mind you, back before I came over the bridge to KY, I could have defended Ohio's way of thinking on this. I was certain Ohio was just too populous and crowded to afford a safe opportunity to hunt that way. I came back from my first rifle hunt in KY feeling like I had "survived." It took a while for the lesson to sink in. Today I just see it as just another deer hunting myth I had to work out of my head.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:12 am

.45-70 but no .30-30??? Riiiiiiight.................I get it....maybe. Maybe the .30-30 LOOKS like a rifle cartridge but the .45-70 doesn't. That's the same logic for not allowing in some states the "evil" looking black rifles.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:52 am

What this comes down to is a political trade-off and a healthy dose of incrementalism. If Ohio or Indiana had come straight out with rules like KY (all centerfire firearms), then there would have been an uproar. This way, it gets a folks a step closer to accepting centerfire rifles for deer without the hoo-haw. 20 years from now, God willing, they will go back and finish the job.

This was the way it was with Sunday hunting in Ohio. I can remember a time when, if you wanted to bow hunt on Sunday on private land, you had to be related to landowner. JEESH! Everybody all of a sudden became everybody's cousin. That was about the time I cut out permanently for KY.

Next

Return to General Discussions