Ohio to announce PCR for Deer

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Woods Walker

Re: Ohio to announce PCR for Deer

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:06 am

Hoo boy...Sunday hunting. I know all about that. I grew up in New Jersey, which being one of the original 13 colonies still had vestiges of the "Blue Laws". At that time (50's and 60'S....I'm not THAT old!) Sunday hunting was forbidden in New Jersey, UNLESS of course you were hunting on a fully licensed bird hunting preserve. I guess they figured that if you had money to burn then your soul was in good enough shape that it could withstand the evils of hunting on Sunday!

There's one more odd thing about NJ blue laws then. On Sundays you could NOT buy liquor of any sort from a store. BUT you could have a drink at a restaurant or bar. Some enterprising types that I knew would go to a bar and order beer for TAKE OUT!!! They had to serve it in a cardboard cup like you would coffee or some other beverage.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:36 am

I believe Ohio still has remnants of Blue Laws regarding alcohol. Can't buy it on Sundays till 10am. I guess that gives you time to go to an early mass before you tie one on. Religion and politics are strange bedfellows.
No hunting on Sunday was terrible. If you worked M-F, which most do, that left Saturday. Hated it!
In defense of Ohio, while far from perfect, has been progressive in some areas. They were one of the first states to allow full inclusion of crossbows into the archery season which runs from the last week in Sept through the first week in Feb. They were quick to include percussion caps and then inline muzzleloaders into the primitive weapons season. My .02
Last edited by Ohio farms on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 am

In defense of Ohio, while far from perfect, has been progressive in some areas. They were one of the first states to allow full inclusion of crossbows into the archery season which runs from the last week in Sept through the first week in Feb. They were quick to include percussion caps and then inline muzzleloaders into the privative weapons season. My .02

You're right on those. I came in just at the end of that all, so I took it for granted. My big peeve was the Sunday hunting thing.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:10 pm

We still have a lot of the blue laws in effect down here in SC, especially when it comes to alcohol sales. Also, no Sunday hunting on state WMA lands; but in my part of the state there has never been any prohibitions on crossbows, and no separate seasons for black powder or archery. Shotgun slugs are considered just as dangerous as a center fire rifle, which is why we use buckshot when running dogs.....and most clubs don't allow rifles while running the dogs. There is a Florida boy's club nearby and they use center fire rifles and they are the only group from Florida to run dogs. We do use rifles when still hunting on the dog club, since we have specific sites to hunt out of and everyone has to sign in and specify which stand location they will be going to.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Previous

Return to General Discussions