They're still out there!

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
shaman

They're still out there!

Postby shaman » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:31 am

It's been about a week since the snow melted around here. Saturday, it hit 60F.

I've had to do a lot of driving lately, and I gotta say it was heartening to see deer nearly everywhere I went.

The other day, I had to come from Greater Cincinnati Airport all the way around the west side on I-275. Every grassy slope was filled with whitetails.

The other night I was coming home late; I live on the north side and work clear down in Walton, KY. There was a nice fat 8-pointer in the road looking at me. The next morning a fat group of doe met me as I was going out to work. They acted like a bunch of 2nd-graders on their way to school.

I just wanted to let y'all know the deer around here seem to have weathered the winter very well. This has been one of the worst we've had in quite some time. It was good to see them all still pretty well filled-out-- not a skinny one in the bunch.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

msbadger

Re: They're still out there!

Postby msbadger » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:54 am

Shaman that is great to hear.... so get everyone together and send some good vibes up north to your hunting comrades. We are stuck in the deep freeze and it doesn't look to be going away any time soon. Here in NY the lake snow machine is working over time as well. North of us one town received 20 in. of snow yesterday and another has reported a total thus far of 196 inches of snow this winter. The latest melt did our area good with opening up a large field that boarders our south and then a mile away the big beef farms pasture/hay field...near a hundred where out in those the other day..
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:18 am

I checked my trail cams this past Monday, and found plenty of pictures of herds of does and fawns along with several bucks that still haven't shed. Also had some good pics of turkeys........right where I want 'em!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

shaman

Postby shaman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:32 am

It had been 3 months since I made it to Camp. I finally got down with Angus late Friday and got up early to scout turkeys on Saturday. I'm at the gate, fumbling with the lock in the gloom when I look out and see a nice fat buck about 150 yards out staring at me. I walked out towards him and he took off. Later, on my way back to the house, I spied a nice fat doe watching me from around the target backstop.

I'm just in from my annual DST-related turkey research. We didn't have as many volunteers as we had hoped. I think a lot of folks stayed home thinking it would be a bust. However, I have to say the results were still significant. Scooter is such a good sport too. He got scratched up pretty bad trying to afix the basal temperature probe and GPS collar on a gobbler. It was his bad arm, too.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Return to General Discussions