where are the deer article

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
luvhuntin

where are the deer article

Postby luvhuntin » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:53 pm

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/apps/p ... ck_check=1

WOW! With people like this running the show. I may as well wait till the popular people of the world quit buying Iowa land to hunt then buy at a reasonable price. the attitudes in this article will make that happen sooner than later.

I know it is a hard subject to get people to agree on and IF the drought would not have decimated the herd the last three years so quickly most hunters would allow a lot of the so called management to keep right on going. but it did, and I think hunters are the only ones who are worried about the "WHAT IF" what if we have another year of drought in late fall? winter has become harsher and longer than most years. lucky for us the deer herd was thinned out before it got here. otherwise some of the boobs commenting on the story would be crying about starving deer.

the biggest problem I have with the whole thing is, what if they get their numbers as low as they would like and something comes along that their numbers did not account for? and it takes a major portion of their agreed to numbers way below goal........ THEN WHAT?

maybe i have it all backwards.

shaman

Re: where are the deer article

Postby shaman » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:11 am

I'm not an Iowan hunter, but I would be rather chafed if my state's DNR took the deer herd down to pre-1995 levels. Either:

a) They meant to and this was against the known preference of hunters
b) They didn't meant to, and it was an incompetent mistake.

Either way, I'd be looking to put some heads on a pike.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:23 pm

Well I am an Iowan, and when I first moved out here, I could bow hunt in Nov and see 3 or 4 deer a day over a 3 wk period. Last 3 yrs I see a total of 10 to 15 deer total over the same 3 week period. This is in the supposed deer thick southern Iowa counties. Same drive by interest groups here as in MI where I left. Suburbanites,,never enough deer gone, Insurance Co's, never enough deer gone, Farmers, never enough deer gone. I think similar battle in about every state. As in everything $$$ talks!

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Lone Ranger is right

Downtown Des Moines is one of if not the largest centers for insurance companies in America. The rest of Iowa has hogs,cattle or corn and soybeans on it. Some state officials have publicly said that if CWD ever turned up in the free range deer herd they would use the national guard to wipe them out to protect the cattle/hog operations in the state. Now was that a tongue in cheek kind of statement? possibly...

but the way the governing bodies are acting in plain sight for everyone to see makes me think we got lucky to have the deer hunting we did. My hopes in all of this rest with good old mother nature. If it is ever meant to be again nothing these windbags do will stop it. The bad news is the people who enjoy hunting deer are being told to suck it up and take it.

Hope we never get to the SHTF moment with low deer numbers or livestock farmers are going to be in a bad situation.

Return to General Discussions