Feral Hogs in IL

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Deebz

Feral Hogs in IL

Postby Deebz » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:57 am

http://www.dnr.illinois.gov/news/Pages/ ... Swine.aspx

This sounds silly to me. I get that they are trying to avoid encouraging people to bring more hogs into the state. However, if there are already populations in existence, then shouldn't we be able to take every opportunity to kill them off? Being limited to firearms only definitely limits the market for people who might try to introduce and sell hog hunts, but it also inhibits the regular Joe hunter who might like to add some pork chops to their freezer as the opportunity arises.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

MZS

Re: Feral Hogs in IL

Postby MZS » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:29 pm

Sounds like they don't want hunters having too much enjoyment shooting these pigs with a bow and arrow, which might lead to some even to promote more of them. They are pretty bad news to farmers I have read.

Deebz

Postby Deebz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:04 pm

Yes, that's the point MZS. They are making it illegal to kill hogs outside of firearm deer season in an effort to keep people from releasing more hogs on purpose.

I just think it's stupid to prevent someone from sticking one with a bow in the early season. I mean, we all know how prolific hogs are at breeding. If I pass on a feral sow in September, by late November she could have potentially given birth to another 10 pigs...

I think they should amend this law to be a county by county basis. The places that already have established populations should be open season. Places where they don't exist should be limited. That way in the areas where the damage is already done we have another tool to at least try to control the populations.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:10 pm

I posted a reply, yesterday and when the confirmation code didn't take, it threw me out of the forums, completely!

Anyhow, basically what I posted, was it doesn't make sense to limit pig killing to firearms season for deer, when pigs are an invasive species and shouldn't be regulated with open or closed seasons. Tennessee tried that and it backfired from what I understand. Down here we are only regulated as to types of lights used at night, and no center fire rifles at night. Otherwise, it's open season 24/7-365 except for the stupid no Sunday hunting on WMA lands for most of the state.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:53 am

It makes absolutely Zero sense, but that's government in Illinois. We have an invasive species with a goal of eradication and we limit the killing of them to 7 days. Go figure.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:56 pm

Yes by allmeans should be an open season ,throw everything and everyone at them. They are a menace!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Our season (for pigs) is year round, with any civilian weapon. No bag limits, no restrictions other than locations. There are breeding populations in several places, just not that many overall. If they were easier to find, I would have tried out my pig roaster by now.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Topdogg

Postby Topdogg » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:35 pm

Im in ohio...and never had the chance to see or shoot one. I wish one would come past my stand....i love me some bacon and chops!

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:21 pm

No you wouldn't. They are the beginning of the end. Want bacon? Go to the store!

kellory

Postby kellory » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:38 pm

Topdogg wrote:Im in ohio...and never had the chance to see or shoot one. I wish one would come past my stand....i love me some bacon and chops!

Topdogg, wild boar destroy the habitat for nearly everything else. They destroy fields, crops, and the division of wildlife wants them gone.
They are one of three animals that can be killed on sight, without restrictions of any kind desides a basic hunting permit, and a legal civilian weapon. You see one, kill it!
Wild boar, ground hogs, and 'yotes are destroyers. Kill'em dead. I have even opened my hunting land to a trapper to use my traps on my land to take out coyotes. If I see a pig, I will break my hunt to switch targets.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Next

Return to General Discussions