the old propert

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Homunculi

the old propert

Postby Homunculi » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:39 pm

last night i got the number to the new owners of the property my inlaws just sold ...

when i called i was polite when i asked for permission to hunt the land as i have for well over a decade ... all i got in return was :

"THERE WILL BE NO HUNTING ON MY PROPERTY!!" i have young children and do not want strangers on my land ..

i responded to him that i will only be using archery equipment and a shotgun only during turkey season .. i will let you know when i will be there..
so that there is no confusion or problems with guests/visitors to your home ....

and in his reply to that he sounded angry ... and stated he does not want weapons around the children and restated that there will be no hunting on his property ....

so i got to this idea the lot next to the inlaws property is a vacant 12 acre lot and i know where the owner lives ...
so i have a chance to hunt the same area ... ment to call him a few years back to see if i would be able to hunt the land but never got around to it.. in the back of my mind i am thinking i am asking for trouble ... if i get permission .. and get my stand and blind set up there if a deer runs onto his property he might not let me go on his land to claim it .. or he might find my stands and damage my equipment..
or doing other things to ruin my hunts ,,,, till i can talk to the land owner i am in limbo ...

thoughts ?
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Deebz

Re: the old propert

Postby Deebz » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:17 pm

It would be silly to pass up an opportunity to keep hunting an area that you are at least somewhat familiar with.

Get permission, then try to set up the new ground so that you stay away from the property lines if you think that will be a problem.

If you do get permission, it may be a good idea to let the new owners of your old property know that you will be hunting the property next door so they don't think you're trying to sneak on to their land if they see you out and about. Maybe ask permission to track wounded animals from the get go. Offer to leave your weapons on the other property and only retrieve dead animals.

If you can get permission to hunt the neighbor, you would want to try to keep it as civil as possible with the new guys. If he ends up being a problem down the road, there are legal options to pursue, but hopefully it doesn't have to go there for you.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values and with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." ~Fred Bear

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 pm

I'd agree with Deebz'z advice. I'm sure that it's difficult to lose access to an area that you have hunted, but you have to realize that a landowner has the right to use his land as they wish. Keep in mind that in Ohio you have no right to retrieve a deer on someone else's property without permission. I think it's lousy to refuse permission to retrieve a downed deer, but life is not always fair.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:26 pm

I agree with both of the above. I'm glad we have the legal right to trespass in order to retrieve in SC.

Now, I just wish someone would get this damn site fixed so I don't feel like I'm trespassing every time I come on and attempt to post!!!!!!!!!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:26 pm

rthomas4 wrote:I agree with both of the above. I'm glad we have the legal right to trespass in order to retrieve in SC.

Now, I just wish someone would get this damn site fixed so I don't feel like I'm trespassing every time I come on and attempt to post!!!!!!!!!!!

Took me 5 tries to post my last one.

kellory

Postby kellory » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Someone is apparently working on it. I have only been able to post twice before this, in the past week. Yet today, I have not been logged out yet, and I've been here nearly 20 minutes! Let's see if this posts.....
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Homunculi

Postby Homunculi » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Ohio farms wrote:I'd agree with Deebz'z advice. I'm sure that it's difficult to lose access to an area that you have hunted, but you have to realize that a landowner has the right to use his land as they wish. Keep in mind that in Ohio you have no right to retrieve a deer on someone else's property without permission. I think it's lousy to refuse permission to retrieve a downed deer, but life is not always fair.

my fathers friend ran into a issue with a neighboring property owner .. he would not let a hunter retrieve deer that ran onto his farm land..
but pissed off one hunter from a neighboring property when he refused to let him recover a deer... the hunter called the game warden
to get them involved and they found the man in his barn hanging the fresh kill with 2 others hanging to be butchered with no tags on them

i will have to see if i can find that article .. but they busted the farmer that was refusing the hunters to be able to claim their kills big time...
If I ain't huntin i ain't livin!!

hunting is not only skill but, being in the right place at the right time ...

gear:
tenpoint TITAN HLX
revelation 30" barrel 12G
Bear Encounter

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:34 pm

They busted him for untagged deer, not for refusing to allow them to recover the deer, right? I'm not happy with trespassers on my property, but would never keep a hunter from recovering a deer that he had shot off of my property that had died on my land. That would be a lousy thing to do.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 am

New homeowner is missing a golden opportunity to get his kids exposed to a great lifestyle, and I bet a great teacher too.

Homunculi wrote:last night i got the number to the new owners of the property my inlaws just sold ...

when i called i was polite when i asked for permission to hunt the land as i have for well over a decade ... all i got in return was :

"THERE WILL BE NO HUNTING ON MY PROPERTY!!" i have young children and do not want strangers on my land ..

i responded to him that i will only be using archery equipment and a shotgun only during turkey season .. i will let you know when i will be there..
so that there is no confusion or problems with guests/visitors to your home ....

and in his reply to that he sounded angry ... and stated he does not want weapons around the children and restated that there will be no hunting on his property ....

so i got to this idea the lot next to the inlaws property is a vacant 12 acre lot and i know where the owner lives ...
so i have a chance to hunt the same area ... ment to call him a few years back to see if i would be able to hunt the land but never got around to it.. in the back of my mind i am thinking i am asking for trouble ... if i get permission .. and get my stand and blind set up there if a deer runs onto his property he might not let me go on his land to claim it .. or he might find my stands and damage my equipment..
or doing other things to ruin my hunts ,,,, till i can talk to the land owner i am in limbo ...

thoughts ?
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:45 am

I lost a big buck to a homeowner this past season. I shot the buck, bloodied him and found chunks of meat and hair; put the dog on the trail and he took me straight to the back yard of a house just across the property line. The guy had already loaded the deer while I had gone to get the dog. Since I don't have any limits on how many deer I can kill, I figured if he needed it that badly........and the fact that it had evidently died in his back yard; I let it go. That was the only deer I shot all season that didn't drop dead in it's tracks, and of course it had to be the biggest buck I shot all season!!!
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Return to General Discussions