What? No discussions on Mark Anthony's problems?

What's the hunt looking like this year in your area? Share!
Ohio farms

Re: What? No discussions on Mark Anthony's problems?

Postby Ohio farms » Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 am

I might be mistaken, but if cash/prizes are involved, then fraud laws apply to "lying to win".[/quote]

I agree with that statement about consequences for "lying to win". Even the "big buck" contest at our local Deer check station/bar restaurant required you to sign a form saying that you followed all the rules. In any event his reputation is forever tarnished.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Tue May 13, 2014 10:28 am

I remember the High Fence, Fair Chase debates with him as well, but oddly enough when I try to search any of those topics with his name I come up with nothing.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue May 13, 2014 4:00 pm

I think we got a "knock it off" from Ben. Usually that means the whole discussion is erased.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MZS

Postby MZS » Wed May 14, 2014 6:12 am

Pretty compelling info I would say!
The top photo shows the rack of a found Kansas buck, which Anthony allegedly purchased. The bottom is field photo of the buck he claimed to kill in 2010. And the apparent similarity of the racks has the Internet pulsing with accusations that Anthony used his considerable taxidermy skills to put the Kansas rack on an Illinois bow-killed buck. At the 2011 Illinois Deer Expo’s contest, he entered the 190-class giant and won top honors in the Archery-Typical category.
From http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/whi ... aking-kill

shaman

Postby shaman » Wed May 14, 2014 7:45 am

I don't want to excuse Mark's behavior-- quite to the contrary.

However, I'd ask that y'all step back a bit and look at this in context. This sport demands performance if you are going to be any kind of authority. Mark needs to fill tags with big bucks otherwise no one will pay attention to him. The result is that there is a constant pressure to bring in big bucks. Some of us get lucky. Some of us succumb to the pressure.

Look, I'm not trying to excuse him, but once a guy like him or me tries to put themselves out there as somewhat of an authority, no one reading our stuff wants to hear about the little forkers or the buttons. That's a shame. In fact some of my best stories came from hunts that involved nothing more than a missed shot on a doe. I have had good and bad years. Two seasons ago I scratched-- first time in 12 years. I don't make a living off my outdoor writing, but even I was feeling the heat this year. It definitely influenced my choice to shoot on the Opener. Once you start trying to make a serious dime off this sport there is going to be heat.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Big Horse

Postby Big Horse » Wed May 14, 2014 8:57 am

There's one guy I can think of that has made a career off of promoting shooting does, and taking small bucks. If I'm not mistaken he caught some grief right here on this board for shooting a fawn in one of his shows, and he has often times shown the not so perfect shots and complete misses. He takes his share of big bucks too, but I don't know that it's a necessity to make it in the outdoor industry. Ironically, Ol' Marc was one of his biggest critics.
Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live.

BigIron

Postby BigIron » Wed May 14, 2014 11:30 am

shaman wrote:I don't want to excuse Mark's behavior-- quite to the contrary.

However, I'd ask that y'all step back a bit and look at this in context. This sport demands performance if you are going to be any kind of authority. Mark needs to fill tags with big bucks otherwise no one will pay attention to him. The result is that there is a constant pressure to bring in big bucks. Some of us get lucky. Some of us succumb to the pressure.

Look, I'm not trying to excuse him, but once a guy like him or me tries to put themselves out there as somewhat of an authority, no one reading our stuff wants to hear about the little forkers or the buttons. That's a shame. In fact some of my best stories came from hunts that involved nothing more than a missed shot on a doe. I have had good and bad years. Two seasons ago I scratched-- first time in 12 years. I don't make a living off my outdoor writing, but even I was feeling the heat this year. It definitely influenced my choice to shoot on the Opener. Once you start trying to make a serious dime off this sport there is going to be heat.

I don't think many of us are all that concerned about how or why he "went bad". And at least to me, the hypocrisy is his biggest flaw. And the pressure doesn't make you more prone to hypocrisy. The hypocrisy stems from the need to elevate your own "accomplishments" by belittling the accomplishments of others.

And that's a particularly pitiful trait. I pity Marc. And I don't necessarily think he's beyond repair. He could very easily admit wrong, take the high road and quit denigrating hunters who hunt differently, and embrace all hunters. That, proven over time, would put me squarely in his corner.

And ditto to bighorse's post.
I'd rather be a fencepost in Texas than king of the world.

Previous

Return to General Discussions